Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

patbike, That heat is the knee I have always been told is due to the healing process. I always have heat in my knee. Have it now, had it with all that awful scar tissue. The furthest I've got my ROM this week is only 105, which for me is not enough to pedal a bike. My PT wants me to be at 115 for the bike, and they way I feel today...very stiff knee, I will not reach 115 this week. All I did yesterday was drive around in the car all day with my son, and a trip to the grocery store last evening and icing on and off. I just don't know for sure what this knee wants me to do!
 
had it with all that awful scar tissue.
Hi, I was interested when I saw the dates of your RTKR (March 2011) followed by right scar removal
August 2013.

Was there a problem with your knee for 2.5 years that wasn't picked up? I know its early days, but how is it now compared to before. Carol.
 
Bonnie , please ignore my earlier message. I've just taken the time to read your thread and I now see what the issues are. Best wishes. Carol
 
Bonnie, what is the newest update on your knee. How are you doing and what is the diagnosis on the problem? I go Tuesday for my one year check on second knee. I went back in the spring but he told me not to come until second one was one year. First knee was one year on June 27,. Hope you are doing better. We are getting ready to go to Chicago to visit son and his family and they have three floors and we are on the bottom and kids on top so that's a lot of stairs but I do have NEW knees so I shouldn't complaint with the tightness. I'm hoping doctor can explain about the tight band feeling. I can bend them fine but the band feeling never goes away. From what I've read on the internet (and the doctor hates to hear me say that) is that some people's tight feeling has never gone away.
 
is that some people's tight feeling has never gone away.

oh heck please don't say that. I am 7 months post op and patiently waiting for it to go. Someone said their tight band comes and goes - this would suggest its a soft tissue problem. I've got to have my other knee done at some stage. If I thought the tight band was permanent I don't think I'd go ahead. Carol
 
Cflower patient 99, Well here is the update. The highest ROM I have achieved is 110, today was 108. I am not hurting as much, that has gotten much better, but my knee remains swollen and stiff. I ice it, I heat it, I stretch it, I do heel slides, and wall slides. I had my CPM for 5 weeks and where as in the beginning after surgery I could just turn it on at 120 and go, I regressed to having to start at 70 degrees and work my way up 5 degrees every so often. Many days I could NOT make it to 120 again. After my CPM went away my PT told me to start walking to keep my knee moving. So I walked outside Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Monday. My knee is really sore tonight I have an ice pack on it right now. It wakes me up every night with discomfort/pain.

The doctor who did my scope said I should see another doctor in the group who specializes in knee replacements. He gave me two names. The first doctor I called I could not get in till November 7. I called the second name he gave me and now I do have an appointment for October 16, 2013. His name is Dr. Stephen Incavo here in the Texas Medical Center with Methodist Orthopedics and Sports Medicine if anyone would care to look him up. He works with chronic knee problems, and I'd say that after 2 1/2 years I've have chronic knee problems. He does replacements and revisions.

No one can seem to tell me why...on day 5 after surgery I got 123 ROM, then on day 7 I got 122 ROM, both days I was able to pedal the stationary bike. Then by day 9 after surgery, all the pain started and the swelling and loss of ROM that I've not been about to get again since the 29th of August.o really I have no answers yet. I told my job two weeks ago that I'd come back on October 1, and that is tomorrow...I don't want time on my feet to set me back even more so that is a wait and see kind of thing.

So, Cflower and Patient99, I am sorry to tell you that I still have the tight band feeling 2 1/2 years post op! But at least you can pedal a bike and I can't!
 
I am sorry to tell you that I still have the tight band feeling 2 1/2 years post op! But at least you can pedal a bike and I can't!

Thank you for the update Bonnie. There must come a point where BS and everybody has said pretty much all there is to say. It must be incredibly hard to stay positive after 2.5 years, but let's hope the 16 October takes you in the right direction. As for me 7 and a bit months seems nothing in comparison. Just hoping for improvements.

If you feel up to it could you tell me a little about the arthroscopy. Did it involve more opening up your knee etc.
@Turtle 68 Dorothy just wanted you to see Bonnie's post as its your neck of the woods.
 
:flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: Thanks Carol, I have met Bonnie and she has had a really rough time. How are you doing today? Is that tight band feeling the same every day or does it come and go. My knee seems to be behaving pretty well. I hope it's not just a fluke because I'm still on the prednisone. We're getting ready to go up to our friends where we used to live, that's Julie and Nigel. Julie's my other red-headed friend from the U.K. Linconshire, I believe.
 
Been thinking about you Bonnie. Have you decided which Dr. to go to. There are so many in Houston. I've heard a lot of good about Fondren Group. They're out of Texas Orthopedic and I know some of them have offices at Willowbrook. I had carpal tunnel surgery there and Jim had knee surgery years ao. Just a thought. Take care, and rest easy.

Hugs, Dorothy
 
I went to greater Houston orthopedics Dr Eric Berkman was my Dr I got both the knee replacements done by him and I am very happy. it was done two yrs ago.
 
Hi Bonnie,
Thinking of you and hoping that you find a good doctor who can help you. :flwrysmile:

I follow your thread and I often wonder how you are getting on.

Best wishes,
Caryl
 
turtle68 Dorothy, the doctor who did my knee replacement was with Fondren Ortho Group. My surgery was at the Woodlands Lakeside Ortho Hospital. My doctor and some of his partners have since left Fondren and are are with UT Physicians. I am staying away from Fondren. Also my very first knee doc is with Fondren, he did my very first scope before the TRK. My problem with him is that he never told me how bad my knee really was. He would give me cortisone shots and tell me what I wanted to hear. He lead me to believe that I could continue running, but told my husband that I could never run again. I guess he just wanted me to keep coming and filling his pockets with my money.

I don't mind driving 30+ miles in all that traffic to the medical center at all. At this point it is about the right care and connivence means nothing to me now. I have an appointment with Dr. Stephen Incavo on October 16. We'll see what he has to say...

Miss you out here Dorothy, my friend from Treeline came into the store today (my first day back at work).

Thank you turtle68 Celle merryweather patient 99 for the kind words and response. :)
 
Bonnie, I agree with you on finding the right Dr. I had no idea that Fondren had declined like that. I had back and cervical fusions with Advanced Orthopedics. They're at North Cypress now and I would not go to their knee surgeon either. UT is good. I like my dr. at Kelsey, Dr. David Edelstein, I may have to have a revision because my PCL is loose and will have him do it. It's good to hear from you - please keep us posted. I miss my friends out NW too, but we are really enjoying spending more time with our daughters, and our house should be done in about 5 weeks. Take care.

Hugs, Dorothy
 
Hang in there Bonnie, I sure wish this would resolve for you. I never had the kind of pain you are experiencing with my scar tissue removal, so I don't have much to offer in the way of advice. I can offer my support and sincere wish for better days ahead.

Keep us posted,

Dawn
 
If you feel up to it could you tell me a little about the arthroscopy. Did it involve more opening up your knee etc.
@Turtle 68 Dorothy just wanted you to see Bonnie's post as its your neck of the woods.

patient 99 They did not open up my knee like for the TKR, there was actually 3 portals. Two bigger one smaller. They were closed up with an internal stitch/stitches that are supposed to dissolve over time. One portal is still a pretty big swollen bump, it feels bruised underneath. I'll see if I have a picture..
Found one...the bump on the left has pretty much gone down now, the one on the right is the one that hurts and feels bruised, the 3rd one is off to the side not seen in the pic, it was much smaller and healed up fast.
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
 
Can someone please given me some suggestions as to what my thread title should be? From going from 133 ROM, very active, then 88 ROM due to aggressive scar tissue to Revision. Thought I was doing good after the scar tissue surgery but have gone down hill. Pain that makes me cry and ROM stuck at 100.

I saw the new specialist today who works with chronic knee problems and does revisions. My husband and I went, we both liked him very much. He says that my implant does not move the right way. Side to side instead of front to back. I don't know if you know what I mean or not. But he said he thought I should have my knee replaced with another type. He said he could guarantee me an 80% chance that I would be better than I am now. He said, "You've been though a lot already, I know I can make you feel better." He didn't pressure said it was my decision and to just let him know. My husband says its a no brainer, I need to have it done. I said, I know where I've been and the path that I am continuing down and I don't want to live my life this way. More or less like a cripple. So we set a date, December 2...Merry Christmas! I would do it sooner in November except my Mom is traveling to Texas from Oregon to spend her 90th Birthday with me. I have to be functional for her visit and so I need to wait till she has come and gone.

So yes, my thread needs a new name...
 
What a bummer Bonnie, so sorry to hear this news. You have been through so much, it's true, but you are a tough lady and will be okay. Your will and persistence will see you through.

How about "my roller coaster TKR, up...down...now sideways"

At least it's a start...maybe others will chime in!

In any case, keep your chin up, we care!

Dawn
 
So sorry that a revision is on the horizon, Bonnie! But, it could be the fix that you need. I was apprehensive before having my revision, but it proved to be nowhere near as bad as I had anticipated.

Best wishes, :flwrysmile:
Caryl
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom