Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Nerve Damage?

Just checking in at 5 weeks out BTNR. For the most part doing well. My support team is doing the best they can with me (3 dogs and a cat) but I have had to ignore the hair balls littering my floors.:dogsniff:

Slowwwww progress!!!!!!!! From what everyone is saying that is completely normal. I always thought I was the most patient person out of everyone I know but this is testing my patience!!!!!!!!!!! :thud:

I have cut back on my PT home exercises quite a bit. I do just what I feel I must in order to keep my legs from developing the aching due to lack of normal use. That goes for my back as well. Hard sitting much of the day. That is something I never did. I also have always been an anxious person with a need to keep some part of my body constantly moving, I guess as a release.

I have noticed something strange. When I get up in the morning the incision sites are discolored, kind of purple and red. It disappears shortly as I get up and move around. This is not every day! Anyone else ever have this?
 
Normally, my incision is very light and looks great. After my shower, it is bright reddish purple for an hour or so. I am interested in hearing what others say.
 
My incision is pale in the morning but turns bright purple when I'm on my feet for an extended period of time, when I exercise, and when I shower.
 
I think that's normal. My scar still does that and it's much older than yours.
 
:egypdance:I'm glad to see the posts about the scar/area around the scar changing colors. Lots of colors here from almost no color to purplish depending on activity level.
 
I am having some really awful medication issues which no one warned me of!! I am hoping for some insight from you more experienced surgery veterans and those that are a little further out than me.

My BTKR was 12/7/15. From the beginning they had me on Tramadol 50 mg. every 6 hrs and Oxycodone 5 mg. every 4 hrs. I took the meds around the clock. I have been on that regimen for about 7 weeks. I cut the Oxycodone down within the last few weeks to just as needed evening/overnight pain. The pain is feeling pretty well controlled. I started to eliminate/reduce my Tramadol dose within the last week and quickly started having unwanted side effects such as anxiety/panic, depression, stomach upset, nausea, severe sleep disturbance, headache, etc... I just realized what it was a day ago from researching online. Yesterday I had one 50 mg. Tramadol in the morning and was a complete mess. Today, I took 1/2 a dose and it really does seem to help the symptoms as I am aware of the effect.

I initially thought I was finally "cracking" as I have been confined and coping alone for the duration. I started reading the depression posts and thought that was it. Have had some really bad crying jags and hopeless feelings. I did reach out to my daughter and a good friend who want me to be with them, not alone. Sounds like a good idea based on how I feel.

So I am looking at a med withdrawal schedule. Not quite sure how to do it for the length of time I have been on these meds. I am sure I still need some pain meds but really don't want to take the Norco the surgeon just prescribed last week!!! I am surprised no one talked to me about what I was taking and what I might do about a dosing schedule.

I am also aiming to get back to work part time in a couple weeks due to financial urgency!! I feel like total **** in the morning and can't imagine how I will get to work and actually function. I can't imagine how I can continue to stay home alone without the support I need.

Thanks everyone for your help!!!
 
Anchovy,
Welcome to Bonesmart, glad you joined us! :welome:
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your pain medications. My best guess is you are trying to wean off too soon and too fast, and your body is reacting to having to deal with both the pain and the abrupt cut back on pain medications. Many of us take pain medications for 3 - 4 months, and then just forgetting to take our pain medications as we heal as the pain goes away. Everyone is different, you will have to find what works for you.
Suggest you reconsider taking the Norco the Dr prescribed if you have pain. Pain can consist of pain, tightness, swelling, aching, and stiffness, they all need to be medicated this early in recovery.
Here is a sample weaning schedule:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/weaning-off-prescription-pain-medication.19226/

@referee54 , had BTKR, and can advise on going back to work. We usually recommend waiting until 12 weeks.
Here is a Phased return to work , that can help you plan your return.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum---we are very glad that you have found us and we will endeavor to assist you in any way we can.

I had a BTKR a bit over eight years ago, and I returned to work at about eight weeks, which was a bit too early. My OS said that I would be able to do to, and I was anxious to get back to the classroom.

In looking back, I now realize that it was too early. I should have waited another four weeks and returned then---at eight weeks, I was stiff, sore, and exhausted by the end of the school day, and I was even icing and elevating during my planning period as well as my lunch period. In looking back, I now admit that my rush to work slowed down my BTKR recovery, which is admittedly is low to begin with.

I understand that you "gotta do what you gotta do", but I would urge you, if you do return to work then, to try to ice and elevate as much as you can. Understand---it is not just about the work, but the logistics of getting up, packing a lunch, driving or taking public transportation, walking to the work, and then reversing everything at the end of the day.

My recovery---to completion, took about eight months---and I actually gained ROM upwards to a year after my surgery.

I did nothing on Sundays after my return---after church, I rested, iced, and elevated the rest of the day.
 
Hi @Anchovy
Tramadol is an excellent drug but some people do have trouble coming off it. You're right to try and wean off gradually, but I think you could do with a little help.

I had similar symptoms when I was weaning off Tramadol. My own doctor prescribed smaller-dose tablets of Tramadol and gave me a schedule to help with cutting back. If smaller-dose tablets aren't available, there is a liquid form. You count the number of drops and gradually reduce those. That's what I had to do in the end.So, do ask your own doctor for help.
 
I merged your two recovery threads, as per forum protocol. WE would really like all forum members to have only one thread in the TKR Recovery Section, as it makes it so much easier to help you out and to assist and advise you.

We can see where you have been and what your issues were and are, and what questions you have had or concerns that you have now, but looking only at one thread and not bopping from one thread to another.

It helps us more effectively and efficiently help you through these issues, and it also helps to eliminate duplicate posts, as well.
 
I suggest you talk with your GP and get him to help you out. If you're having these withdrawal symptoms, you need to deal with it with the help of your doctor. (not your surgeon, he will probably be too busy!)
 
Tramadol can be hard to cut out cold turkey. They say it is non addictive, but I do believe you can still have some side affects from taking it and stopping it. I took it for several months last year when my knee was causing a lot of issues for me, and found ending it was hard, so I talked to the Dr. and he recommended I step it down over a few weeks. I ended up taking less and less, then just stopped one day. I found it much easier from a side effects standpoint. Also, I noticed that the uncomfortable feelings slowly ended over a couple of days. Drinking a lot of water, laughing a lot, and exercising (maybe not so easy) will help with the symptoms... Good luck, and sorry your going through this, I am sure it is the last thing that you wanted to deal with after going through a TKR...
 
This happened to me, too, but with Percocet. I started reducing the dosage and frequency immediately upon leaving the hospital but still had trouble. When the symptoms started (5 1/2 weeks post op) I toughed it out. I don't recommend this as it was horrible. I probably didn't wean gradually enough.
 
My doc gave me Norco when I no longer needed the stronger oxycodone(percocet).
 
Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I am just amazed at how different we are, as always.

I did some research on my own and found Tramadol to be a combination synthetic opiate and norepinephrine/serotonin reuptake inhibitor(acts like an anti-depressant). Withdrawal symptoms can be just like those two classes of drugs. Obviously my body does really well on this drug and is presenting me with some pretty severe symptoms with just a small drop.

My pain level has jumped up a notch just from dropping my Tramadol total to 150 mg from 200 mg in divided doses throughout the day. I am taking Norco as well. I can see when your pain is well controlled you almost forget that you really have it. That can be good and bad! The increase in pain level makes me feel like I have gone backward a couple weeks. :unsure:

On another med note......while I was in the hospital I was so dumbfounded by the pain relief choices. The nurses offered me many different drugs in different strengths including oxycodone 5 or 10 mg, celebrex, a muscle relaxer and the tramadol. I was to choose what I wanted and at what strength. I was not real comfortable trying to do this at all! Maybe that is why I never really felt I had a good pain protocol to follow.
 
Back
Top Bottom