TKR Neesie's Recovery Thread

Hang in there. People who haven't had this surgery don't realize how much it affects more than just your knee. It can take many months to get your energy back. My OS warned me it would take many months to feel "normal" and he didn't just mean the knee.

Hang in there. People who haven't had this surgery don't realize how much it affects more than just your knee. It can take many months to get your energy back. My OS warned me it would take many months to feel "normal" and he didn't just mean the knee.
And I can vouch for just how right he is!

Hi everyone. I saw my surgeon for my 6-month check-up (and that will be the last one). The good news is that the replacement looks perfect and they're satisfied with the results. The PAs suggested massaging the scar and continuing to stretch. The bad news is the surgeon is still an arrogant little man. He did say I should be walking 2 miles everyday in order to strengthen the quads. I have been very rebellious the last few months and do very little other than my normal everyday activities. I do think he's right about daily exercise and I will be better about it.

I will never go back to the surgeon. Halfway through the conversation he started talking directly to my husband as though I wasn't there. Of course I shouted at him and actually told him to get out of the room because I was done. Juvenile of me but he presses every button I have! The left knee will wait until I am unable to walk on it and then I'll find someone else.

I’m sorry you had such an annoying surgeon and I agree with finding another one.

Walking is good for a knee, but not to excess, and “excess” is different for each of us. I could never do 2 miles a day!

My quad continued to strengthen as I healed, and all I did was ADLs. Where you are now at 6 months is not where you will end up when your healing is complete.

I’m not walking anywhere near 2 miles daily. I keep track (sort of) w my steps and rejoice if it’s over 1000 lol. I wish the pool was closer or I didn’t have so many excuses not to exercise! Sorry your surgeon was such a pain. I think that makes such a difference. Good to hear from you!

@Jockette and @knee#2 - Thanks for your encouragement. I think of all of you everyday and am so grateful for this community. I've spread the word about Bonesmart among my large community of senior citizens who are contemplating replacements.

Wishing you all festive celebrations and a happy, healthy new year.

No followups after 6 months? Daily exercise yes, but 2 miles? And talking as though you weren’t there? In my opinion, you showed the patience of Mother Teresa!

Do have a Happy New Year.

Thanks so much. Happy New Year to you too.

And to you too @knee#2. Thanks so much for your encouragement and humor. Everyone in this forum has been instrumental in my recovery. :yahoo:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
FirstroundSAFS
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom