sk44tyler
junior member
One new update from my appointment yesterday.... My Dr. is still willing and fully capable to do my partial knee replacement (He has done many) and firmly believes it will provide me relief, however he still believes that a High Tibial Osteotomy (HTO) coupled with cartilage treatment (e.g. OATS), is a better path for me. He believes this for the following reasons: 1) My relatively young age (I'm 43) 2) There is not enough data on the long term survivorship of partial knee replacements using the latest materials. 3) Doing an HTO now will preserve my natural knee for as long as possible until I do eventually need a TKR.
He offered my a referral to another orthopedic surgeon in the area for a second opinion. Coincidentally, the Dr. he recommended seeing is the same Dr. a friend of mine (in the medical field) originally recommended seeing (which I never did)... Anyways, I booked an appointment with this new Dr. for next week. I figure there is no harm in getting a second opinion at this point, since this is such a big decision for me. I am keeping my PKR appointment for now, which is scheduled for 9/10/24.
I already stated my reasons for why I believe a PKR is better for me as compared to an HTO, early on in this post. To summarize, with an HTO, I am worried about the prolonged recovery time/rehab (along w/ muscle atropheid) and I am not fully convinced that an HTO w/ OATs will 100% resolve all my pain issues (where as with a PKR, I am much more confident it will work with much less associated recovery time). Lastly, I've read some absolute horror stories about HTO's on this forum (long term pain & the procedure not working), which quite frankly scare me.
Anyways, I will meet this new Dr. next week and ultimately have to make a decision going forward. If anyone has any input into this matter or specific experience with an HTO performed to relieve osteoarthritis, then please share. It's important to note that my current alignment in my right leg is almost perfect (no varus or valgus deformity)... so an HTO would be performed solely to unload my medial compartment to hopefully provide me some pain relief.
He offered my a referral to another orthopedic surgeon in the area for a second opinion. Coincidentally, the Dr. he recommended seeing is the same Dr. a friend of mine (in the medical field) originally recommended seeing (which I never did)... Anyways, I booked an appointment with this new Dr. for next week. I figure there is no harm in getting a second opinion at this point, since this is such a big decision for me. I am keeping my PKR appointment for now, which is scheduled for 9/10/24.
I already stated my reasons for why I believe a PKR is better for me as compared to an HTO, early on in this post. To summarize, with an HTO, I am worried about the prolonged recovery time/rehab (along w/ muscle atropheid) and I am not fully convinced that an HTO w/ OATs will 100% resolve all my pain issues (where as with a PKR, I am much more confident it will work with much less associated recovery time). Lastly, I've read some absolute horror stories about HTO's on this forum (long term pain & the procedure not working), which quite frankly scare me.
Anyways, I will meet this new Dr. next week and ultimately have to make a decision going forward. If anyone has any input into this matter or specific experience with an HTO performed to relieve osteoarthritis, then please share. It's important to note that my current alignment in my right leg is almost perfect (no varus or valgus deformity)... so an HTO would be performed solely to unload my medial compartment to hopefully provide me some pain relief.
Last edited:
United States
