Guest viewing is limited

TKR Need Help and Encouragement, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also fell on my knee replacement about 6 weeks ago. I tripped over some shoes inside the house and landed directly on my knee. I tried to use my hands, etc., but the way I fell I couldn't. OWWWWEEEE it hurt!! I iced the entire rest of the day but then the next day it was ok. Sheesh. Scary stuff!!!
I am glad that you are OK---I know that we all have had that fear of falling on our knees---and they show us that they are resilient.
 
I am so glad you posted. I have been wondering how you were doing. I know its ruff to have lost your husband but as time does go by its gets easier to accept the life that you now have. When I heard from you again I was praying that the knee was doing better. The good news its not in pain. You really had a ruff start and you are doing so much better. I pray that your knee does get better with bending. As for water exercise I think it would be great because water is so healing. Please keep in touch and don't be such a stranger. Take care and know that we love you and we are here whenever you need us. Love ya. Tashia
 
Hello again everyone! It was so nice to just get away at this time of the year. It was wonderful seeing my son and grand-babies. It is a tough time for him too. Yes, hubby died 2 days before Thanksgiving. My son and family were there at the time too, so it was good for me to be with them.
I had to postpone my year appt with the new doc for a couple of weeks since I was away. I am still really nervous about it. He specializes in revisions and has not mentioned anything in our previous visits. He just says, as long as it is improving and not going backwards it is good. I will let you all know. I am thinking of asking him for water therapy and also massage. My back is a mess since all of this too. You are all so right, they are "connected!"
I was told the discoloration was due to the major trauma and swelling? Oh well, I just wish I could bend a little more. :sad: Maybe the water will help.
I had to rush mom to the ER a couple of days before I left. Her BP skyrocketed.....all turned out OK. I guess I just needed a little more excitement. LOL
Just trying to get through another set of Holidays, Birthday, Wedding Anniversary...UGH. I will be here more often, I am sure. Thanks for the notes....I DO read each and every one and they mean so much to me. You will probably never know how much, since I still do not know a SOUL in the area. Just too busy with mom and step dad since I moved here. One day!
 
BrnEydGrl, I am here whenever you need me. I was hopping that you would have some free time by now but I know that you taking very good care of your Mom. I am so glad that your knee is getting better. You had such a ruff start its going to take a little longer. Please hang in there, I believe everything will work out. I just found out today that I need a new left hip. I will be so glad that this is it. All knees done and doing pretty well. Now to finish off with the hips. The right is great now I need the left done. It always seems something doesn't it? Do take care and please keep us updated. A hug for you my friend. Tashia:friends:
 
I haven't been posting real often, but I do feel a need to reconnect. Glad to see you are finding the encouragement you need to carry on BrnEydGrl. Having someone to look after at least gives you diversion from full time attention wondering about your leg. I'd love to hear that you'd found a way to make time for at least one social outlet in your new setting. Sometimes those people can be worked into your setting to provide care for your folks that could give you time to do something you'd like to do. Having a local social network can be provide you with in person uplifts that Bonesmart people can't rarely do for each other. I'm glad you've found Bonesmart, but I hope you find a source for real hugs and in person appreciation, too.
 
:reindeer:When I wrote to you I forgot to ask. " Have you hugged you :kittykiss::kittykiss::kittykiss: today? :heehee: Take care . You are doing great. I know it doesn't feel it, but you are. :snow dig::xmas-merry:
 
Whew, so happy christmas holiday is over! Three more to go...in a row. New Years, Birthday and Anniversary. I should really plan to be on a beach somewhere during this time!:heehee:
Well, here is the good news! New revision surgeon took lots of x-rays, checked me out and said all is good! He said, see you in two years! I was worried about my ROM and he said it is better than most people! Huh? He also said to keep up with the exercises and I may gain a little more. He said it will NEVER be like it was or the other knee. I guess I did not know what to expect since I am no longer in rehab. I am surely glad I did not get a MUA per my horrible OS. Would have just gone through more hell. I guess I was just hoping for more?
Still quite stiff and of course numb. Perfect extension and hardly any pain at all, only on rainy days it seems. He saw my x-ray of my other knee and asked how I was feeling. I said "don't even want to think about it" he laughed.
I guess all is well, since he is a revision specialist, or he just wants to get rid of me knowing all I went through!! Hahaha He said, everyone is different, so I guess I should celebrate?
Tashia....good luck with the hip, will be thinking about ya!

BrnEydGrl
 
Brown eyed girl. Just read your whole thread. Wow !!!! So sorry about your suffering and loses over the last year. Its a nightmare. Quickly I want to say that you said prior in this thread"if my pain will help one person , it would be worth it". Well I am pre op but now i have a longer list of questions to ask my os. For example, drains and how frequently I can see him post op. I know he is busy.also pain management. Many questions. Thanks to you. You are one tough cookie for sure. Pat yourself on your back. Tashia has been a godsend for you as well as others were for you. I wanna thank them as well. Best of luck. Ill be on the otherside February 10 2014. God bless you.
 
Good luck to you Sonoma! Hey, I lived in that area for many years. Yesssssss I am so happy all of my problems can help anyone. Makes me feel there is a reason for everything. My quote was always "bad things happen for a good purpose." Sometimes you just have to wait a while for that to come true.
The folks here were a true life line for me and still are. :)
 
Thats very true, but HOLY SMOKE !!!! That was one very tough year. Reading your thread I thought you were gonna"drive and drive and drive away". But you hung in there. A true warrior!!! Yeah im in Sonoma County , weather is gorgeous lately 70 degrees today and yesterday. its so gorgeous here I wanna hike and go to beach , ride horses and getbback into great shape again. Good luck
 
Hi BEG, you should be proud of yourself. You have my respect. Reading your threads, I understand that you have gone through a lot not only your knee , your lost of love ones, plus, you are taking care of your mom and step dad. These are all difficult tasks. You are very strong; however, please also take some time to be kind of yourself. Do not worry about your ROM. When knee is still stiff or swellon, it can not bend. I think because you were so busy taking care of others, you did not have enough time for your knee to completely healed. When your leg is tired, still rest, elevate, and ice. Message, and gentle stretch, and bend may help.

With regard to making new friends, few suggestions, 1. local senior centers may offer many programs and activities. 2. Taking some fun class in Local community college. You will be surprised how many seniors take these classes and you may get to know some people who have the same interest as you have. 3. Doing volunteer works in local schools, library, museums, or hospitals.

Taking care of your mom and your step dad is not easy. I did that, so I can relate to you. You can only do so much, and very likely, they may still think that you did not do enough. When people get very old, they revert their life to be like kids. Thus, sometimes, the do not make sense. Do as much as you can, but remember, they may make unreasonable demands. Again, it may be a good idea to join a supporting group for taking care of elderly people just like this group. They may provide many useful information. Good luck. I hope everything is getting better for you. Please keep posting here about your progress. We care about you.
 
Glad to hear you sound like the worst is past, though I will warn you, your doc's inquiry about your other knee isn't entirely to be dismissed. Like you, I REALLY do not want to think about going through anything with the other knee anytime soon. Yet, I see many Bonesmart people do go through the other knee shortly after the first one. You can check my thread to learn more about what I've been exploring after my other knee started putting me through painful episodes. I'm presently doing all right with hyaluronic acid gel injections in it. First one really turned the tide. The osteopath I'm seeing for these also does platelet injections and is on the forefront of stem cell research.

Glad to see some of the suggestions you've been given to find and build a local support network.
 
I know that last year was a bad one but I love seeing that you now can have some good moments. I think that as the knee further heals things will get better. Taking care of your Mom and her husband is hard but it shows how great of a person you are. I pray that next year will have many happy surprises and that you heal even more and meet people. I know its hard when you are caregiving but do remember you are very special and good things will come your way. Don't be a stranger and keep us informed on how you are doing. Love ya. Tashia :puppysmooze::friends: :mer xm::reindeer:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Need Help and Encouragement, please...
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Need Help and Encouragement, please...
bottomshollow
 
Love your graphics as usual, Bottomshallow! I'd have checked in on the party if I'd known about it sooner. Traveling tends to keep me away from the computer. Just home from Michigan with all of my family and Montreal on our way home with our college son. Biodome was FANTASTIC! I loved Notre Dame, too. So many fabulous artpieces enclosed there. I'll go back in another season to see the Botanical Gardens. I posted a picture on Nanner's thread of Notre Dame de Montreal.

Happy New Year!
 
Lots of positive energy in this thread. How are things going for you BRN eyed GRL? I am recovering from a fall that I didn't realize had damaged anything...slow going but I am getting better. Nothing major--no tears or breaks, just soft tissue damage, but that means swelling, and I am tired of having to ice and elevate. I have to start thinking of it as though it were tooth brushing. I do that twice a day without fail. Icing and elevating is going to be the same. C'est la vie.
 
Happy New Year everyone! I am hoping for a better one. I made a big sign and put it on my wall in my bedroom. "Happiness is a choice." I must keep reminding myself!
I just hired a new caretaker to help with Mom and Step-Dad. Now I can look for some volunteer or part time work. I know I need to get OUT THERE and start a life.
My daughter and grandson came up to visit. He is four and got to see snow for the first time! It did my heart good. I got through all the holidays, anniversary of my husbands death and marriage, plus my own birthday. Yikes, I am soooo happy they are over!
Here is a question. I really need to get more confident using this knee. Any particular exercises any of you do to help not "favor" that knee. It has been a year and I find myself so paranoid to lead with it....going down a curb, getting in a boat, etc. I still think it is not much ROM to make my life easier.
Another question. I am soooo scared to kneel on it....does anyone kneel? Sounds crazy I know, but I guess I still protect it way too much? It is quite numb and from what I read, it can stay that way?
So glad I have all of you to lean on!!!
BrnEydGrl
 
Dear BrnEydGrl,

I am so glad to hear that you have had some happy moments and good changes in what is surely a difficult season. I'll copy you on exercises I do that have helped me ge strength in my TKR leg. I am two years out next week, and while there have been improvements, I do not kneel on it, often go downstairs leading with my TKR leg so I don't have to bend it as much...it still takes effort and concentration. But I am back to where I was before I fell scuffling blithely through fall leaves. I sent some exercises that have helped me to Rich. I'll copy them for you and send.

Right now I am in L.A. for Josh, son number two,'s wedding. It is beautiful here...in the seventies, sunny, and we are getting ready to go to his apt to help get ready for a rehearsal dinner. If I can't copy easily for you, I will soon.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom