TKR Need Help and Encouragement, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ mrs crickelwood Yup, that's Harold! So Silly, but I love it. Not a care in the world.
 
Well it has been a whole year! I really wish all was perfect but maybe it is something that will never be? I am trying to get on with my life and the ROM keeps improving every so slightly. I don't meet with my new doc for a couple of weeks. Not sure what he is going to say, but figured I wanted a pleasant holiday, so I pushed off the visit. I will see him after visiting my son and family. :)

I get a bit upset when I meet people so much older than me and they tell me how great their surgery was. They look surprised when they see my "bend."

I do not have any pain unless I push myself on my recumbent bike. I feel I need to push it a little bit to keep improving. The pain still is not too bad, just some ibuprofen is needed.

I am truly not happy with the results, but just happy that the major nightmare is over. I am thinking of asking the new doc for some "water therapy" and "massage therapy.' This whole ordeal has done a real number on my back. I also have that ankle problem on my opposite leg so I think the walking may be causing the problem. The biggest problem now is my ankle and not my knee.

Besides my ROM I think the biggest thing that bothers me is the discoloration of the scar area. Not just the scar but the whole area. The new doc said it SOMETIMES happens due to major trauma and maybe it will go away and maybe it will not. Some spots have faded. I am Caucasian and the discoloring is brown. I had such major swelling in which my awful surgeon never saw and never addressed. Has ANYONE out there had this problem. I feel like going to a dermatologist and send him the bill. It is a reminder every time I look at it. <sigh>

This is a tough time for me. The anniversary of my husbands death is November 22. I am doing pretty good considering everything. I try to visit my kids every 4 months and have a regular therapist to talk to. Whew....you all also helped me through the worst!!!! Hugs again to all of you. I just wanted to let you know how I was doing! All the newbies, just hang in there!!! :ok:
 
Hi BEG - very happy to hear that things are still improving even if it is slow going :friends:

I am having a slower recovery and can definitely recommend water therapy - I am having a slow recovery but the pool workouts really help and the warm water helps muscle stretches. I am just sad that I am banned from the water for 3 weeks following my adhesion surgery
 
Good to hear from you, sorry your proplems continue.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and hope the new OS has some answers for you.
Let us know what he says, there is a wealth of experience here with limited ROM.
Stay safe with all the winter weather.
Happy Thanksgiving!
 
I've heard that Mediterranean and African americans have the worst scarring. Naturally I'm Greek and my scar is hideous! It's not the thin white line by any means but I had this feeling it would be that way after a hip surgery I had. It's darkish with a thin white line in the center. But trust me, it is OBVIOUS. And no exaggeration here. It's fugly. It's unfortunate but at this point I could care less. I guess I figure I'll just wear crop pants the rest of my life, LOL.

I'll be a year out in December and I still have pain, a bit of swelling and numbness. I discussed this with my doctor and he said that for some people the numbness never goes away and I'm sure that will be my case. But it's better than having a useless knee which wouldn't let me do anything. The pain, yes, I have the pain even if I wear shoes that aren't stable. I can't push it at the gym, etc. I also can't cross my leg very long because it hurts. But hey, I guess I'm just figuring I'm better off than I was before.

My bend though is excellent at around 135-140. I can't tell the difference between the two legs so maybe that's what helps me justify all the other stuff.

I hope you feel better. It's a very slow process for some of us (me included). Try to think positively and remember what you couldn't do before. I'm assuming there's a difference but I don't know. HUGS!
 
mrs cricklewood How is Winston? Do you have more pictures of him? He gives me a smile and brightens my day. He looks like such a sweet guy!

My Harold and Emily are doing fine. They are not fond of the cold we are having here, so they zip out through their doggie doors and come right back in after they've finished. No lollygagging in this cold weather!

So is it summer where you are?

Love to you and Winston.

Milli
 
My Harold and Emily are doing fine. They are not fond of the cold we are having here, so they zip out through their doggie doors and come right back in after they've finished. No lollygagging in this cold weather!
Two of my dogs do not like the cold much---my two year-old, though, loves to go out side and look at the birds---she also chases quirrels and chipmunks---but she would not know what to do if she ever caught one!
 
Hey there, BrnEydGrl, do I read this correctly? Did you have your TKR just after the anniversary of your husband's death? Now you get a double whammy. It's hard enough dealing with the anniversary of someone's death who was close without adding any added anythings to it.

I offer my sympathies on both accounts. I hope you have family and nearby friends to give you a rousing round of support.

There's several here in the Bonesmart family that can empathize with your frustrations over your surgical issues. Just want you to know that I'm 16 months out and though I'm finally walking at a much more even clip and have good bend, I'm getting injections in my other knee to keep it from following suit. My PT tells me - it's all connected. One leg's knee issues can throw off the other leg's ankle issues. I was even told that my elbow and wrist issues could be connected to my knee issues. My PT likes to work on my inner core issues - getting them to be properly aligned.

I do hope that despite discolorations, lack of bending, and a missing spouse, that you can dig to find things that you are thankful for. An attitude of gratitude can do wonders to our perspective on other matters, too.

Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Brown Eyed Girl.I just wrote this to Rich's site. He's discouraged by how slow his recovery is and his frustration is echoed by many others. Just thought it might be encouraging. I wish you a good visit with your family and son.

Rich, and all of you frustrated with the slowness of recovery, I completely understand. Hearing stories of people who are out on the golf course in three weeks, makes it so much worse. Dr. S's PT, perhaps the one you see, Rich, told me that it was unfortunate that he had these videos of miraculous success stories up on his web. I'd hoped you would be one of the success stories, so I didn't want to tell you too much about my experience, but I think that kind of three week recovery is not very common. I have to say, I am now finally grateful that I am so much more independent, that this summer I hiked and swam canoed and kayaked. Remember I am nearly two years out now, and it took an amazing PT experience this summer at a year and a half...with hip exercises as well as new knee exercises...for me to begin to make real progress.

Just this Monday, I was taking my daily walk, tripped on uneven pavement hidden by leaves, and fell. A neighbor pulled her car over to help me up, she couldn't. I had to turn myself and push myself up. Surprisingly, nothing hurt. So, I finished the last mile and a half of the walk. Went to school the next day, shopped for Thanksgiving dinner. And 36 hours after the fall, I woke with my knee screaming. Couldn't make it to the bathroom. Couldn't put any weight on my TKR leg at all. Was awake the whole night with pain. Didn't want to wake my husband--he finally has a job...it's very stressful and he's often up til midnight working. The next day he brought ice and went to work. I realized I'd need help getting to the bathroom again. Called a neighbor. She helped me, got more ice.

Friends brought me lunch later and I asked them to take me to the E.R. (surgeon had said I should go there). No breaks, probably no torn tendons. Just lots of soft tissue inflammation. I want to be one of those super hero people who shrug off falls and injuries and TKR. Oh the body does not lie. I didn't baby my knee immediately, and next tome, if I fall, I will treat myself to icing and elevating and count on friends to help. They did, all day long. I asked another friend to pick me up. My knee is still swollen on one side, and beginning to turn purple, but it "held." It's really not going to split apart when I fall. Figuring out what is best for our new knees is not a six month or one year proposition. I think we've signed on for a lifetime of paying attention. Not a bad thing...especially for people like me, who tend to live in their heads. I've often ignored my body when it needs rest, more food, or less food. Right now, I'm seeing this as a gift.

This summer, I saw a freckle that seemed to be thickening. Went to the dermatologist. That freckle was fine, but another one worried her. Turned out the worrisome one was a melanoma. I paid attention, it was removed, I have a kick-butt scar on my arm, and I am good. It was caught very early. I don't want to be body-worried or obsessed, but attentive, willing to listen to what my body wants/needs...our TKRs may teach us this.

Good luck to everyone. And if you're sore, rest, ice and elevate. Right now. Juniper
 
Butterfly ..hi there ! yes we are just coming into summer here ( Dec to Feb ) Not looking forward to it ..as I get older I can't seem to handle the heat . ( some days it can easily get to 40 ..) I will post a few more pics of Winston to put a smile on your face...he loves the water and swims every day in our little dam...even in the middle of winter he was swimming...he loves the sea and any water to play in..even our goats water bowl ! Hope you are going ok. I just did a few knee bending exercises and now I am lying on the bed with ice on my knee,..feels divine. Hope you like the photos..a mixture for you .( including him playing with our goat Sally ) All the best. Give your furbabies a cuddle for me !
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Need Help and Encouragement, please...
    022X (2).JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 136
  • [Bonesmart.org] Need Help and Encouragement, please...
    032.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 167
  • [Bonesmart.org] Need Help and Encouragement, please...
    1405.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 135
  • [Bonesmart.org] Need Help and Encouragement, please...
    019X.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 144
  • [Bonesmart.org] Need Help and Encouragement, please...
    009.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 138
juniper Great post. I'm 9 months post TKR, just moved into a new home, and had been massively overdoing it. Then I took my first fall, knee seems to be okay, just bruised my right cheek and left arm where I caught myself. Knelt on my TKR knee so I think that caused some soft tissue inflammation, but it was a great big reminder to be mindful at all times. Hope you're feeling better every day and that you're taking it easy today and letting those around you help.
dorothy
 
Dorothy, had Thanksgiving with my sister, her family and friends. Did some peeling and stirring while on crutches. Nothing else. Yes, I am babying, icing and elevation my knee. I'm happy that it won't be long for the healing to happen. Take care.
 
Then I took my first fall, knee seems to be okay, just bruised my right cheek and left arm where I caught myself. K
Those knee implants are pretty tough! I have fallen, too, and I try to protect the knees, and the expense of other body parts---elbows, hips, wrists, etc!

I am glad that you are OK!-- It seems like you have other body parts to ice now!
 
Happy post-Thanksgiving to you in the States and Happy Friday to the rest of you! BrnEydGrl I hope you had the love and support of your family during the past week.:friends: Looking forward to hearing what your new doc has to say about your bend and ankle. If it is any comfort, as others here have suggested, we do so many things to "favor" an ailing or recovering part of our body that we don't even realize, which then triggers something else. My daughter broke her foot a couple weeks ago and was in a boot. Now it is pretty much better, but her other ankle is acting up big time. It too will heal, but meantime - follow most of our knee mantra - rest, elevate, and ice. It is likely just inflamed.

I too, am Caucasian and even though my two knees were done 7 weeks apart a year ago, their scars are quite different: one is the basic thin white line at the top and bottom, spreading a bit in the middle. The other one is a wider white line framed by a light brown line with a darker brown "dimple" above the kneecap that seems to have taken up permanent residence. In my view, I am proud of them both, wear them as my badges of courage (can't "show off" my hip scars as that is WAY too revealing :heehee: !!) and I don't shy away from shorts. Lauramacky, my next door neighbor is Asian - her scars are dark brown with keloids! I suspect she will be in pants and capris forever. We are all just different.

juniper. I am so sorry you had that fall and do hope everything is starting to heal!! And good reminders for us all. I have been putting off seeing about a couple moles - you have inspired me to make that appointment!:yes!:
 
mrs cricklewood Thanks so much for the charming pictures of beautiful Winston. He is such a beautiful, expressive dog. I LOVE the one with him and his teddy bear. He just brings a smile to my face every time I see him -- he seems to enjoy his life so much! He is a lucky dog to have you for his mom.

I hope you are doing well and not overdoing it with your knee. My hips are doing OK -- still in the recovery phase and I'm not allowed to drive yet and I have to use the walker. I HATE that walker.

Peace and love to you,

Milli
 
Nightquilter, glad you are going to see about those moles. Make the appt. on Monday. Even if they, or one is a problem, they are completely treatable if caught early. Figuring out when to push myself and tough it out; when to take care of myself more gently--is a constant balancing act. I've babied my knee today. I'm going to try to be a bit more active tomorrow, but lay low if I need to.
 
I also fell on my knee replacement about 6 weeks ago. I tripped over some shoes inside the house and landed directly on my knee. I tried to use my hands, etc., but the way I fell I couldn't. OWWWWEEEE it hurt!! I iced the entire rest of the day but then the next day it was ok. Sheesh. Scary stuff!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom