TKR Need Help and Encouragement, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Micha. :) Yep, I am actually "icing" now. It really gets so "hard and warm" when I am on it for too long and don't ice. Kind of a "reminder." The new doc reminded me too. I guess he could still see the swelling. Gosh it has been a bit over 3 months. Shouldn't that end soon?
You are so right, sometimes I wish there was a "positive pill." :loll:I get mad at myself and have no on e to remind me...well I have you all now! Thanks....truly....off to mom's, she needs batteries for her hearing aid. She refuses to go to Assisted Living, they are now in Independent, but I feel there is going to be a change soon! :heehee: The price is almost double so that upsets her. The prices of these places are unbelievable! I am so happy she "saved"!
 
Hi BEG;
Been following along. So glad that your "new" OS is kind and compassionate. You deserve it and all good things after the things you have been through.
We had the same issue with my dad re; Assisted Living. He was very against it, had just had open heart surgery and was living with us. After some investigating we found an Assisted Living not far from us. They have a "try it if you like it". We convinced him to try it for just a week. He did, and never moved back with us. He has been there now for 4 years! It is at least worth a try. It is so hard for our parents to relinquish their independence, but at some point, even for stubborn folks!
Best of luck to you.
Sandy
 
BEG so happy you finally got in to see the new OS and that everything went so well! I can tell you I had a set back early due to the pain meds tearing up my guts, but once I felt better, and heard from my OS that it was still okay, I was able to really do my PT and get things moving again.

I am now 6 months out and I can bend to 110 now, and my straightening is about a 4 or 5 (my guess). Its not perfect, but its functional. As for the fatigue, sorry thats still a bit of an issue. Hugs!
 
BEG, I'm sorry that the doctor's report for your step-dad was not good!:console2: It is certainly very hard to watch our parent's health degrade!:sad: When my mother-in-law's dementia and parkinson's decease got worse, we told her that her doctor said that she could no longer stay in Independent living and we needed to find a place for her in assisted living, she seemed to except it more because the doctor said so, than when we mentioned it ourselver! We were so happy and set our minds at ease when she did move into assisted living, because there was care around the clock and someone to give her her meds properly! I hope she can come to terms with it sooner rather than later! Yes, the price for assisted living is very expensive, however well worth it! The strange thing is, is that when my mother-in-law was in the nursing home, because of a fall, medicare paid for a short while and if we want to keep her there it would have cost her over $100,000. for a years stay where as the assisted living was about $40,000. and we simply could not understand why medicare would opt to pay for nursing home care, but not for assisted living!:scratch:

Yes BEG, you are entirely normal at this stage in your recovery! First of all the day you took your parents to the doctors you had a very long and mentally and physically stressful day, which would exhaust anyone on a normal day, however don't forget you are also in recovery from knee surgery just a short 3+ months, so try not to be so hard on yourself my friend!

Stay well and take care!:friends:
 
Hang in BEG! It doesn't really end soon - but it always gets better! :)
 
Beg, I see you have really been busy since the last couple of days. Remember you must take care of yourself because no one else will. If you are not well then it is so differcult for you to take care of other people. take it from someone who knows. Have you been giving yourself at least 15 to 20 min a day to just sit and be quite. You do need this so much right now. While you are siting and being quiet you can put ice on your knee. Be gentle with yourself. Your road right now is ruff so be tender with self. Oh I forgot have you hugged your :kittykiss: :kittykiss: today? Please know you are doing a amazing job but take it slow. Tashia :friends: :console2: :flwrysmile: :console2: Its ok to feel that you still are falling off your :bicycle2: .
 
Thanks Tashia. Yeah, I have been running around helping them quite a bit. I am now in P/T so between them I am icing and elevating. I am in P/T again today. She was shocked how good I am looking! Still only between 75-80 but it is better than what it was. I was down to the 30's after the fall and in the 50's when I saw her last, before the fall.
It has now been a little over 3 months. A big question, does anyone have any skin discoloration? I am not sure if it was from and is still the bruising?
I am off to get ready for P/T. :)
hugs to all....
 
My tkr knee always looked different from the other. TKR knee was more a pinkish tint. But it improves in time!
 
Hi BEG, I fell hard on my right knee a couple of years before my BTKR and I still have the bruise from that fall. My OS said it may never go away because the blood pocketed under the skin when I fell and it changed the pigment of my skin.:shrug:
That's great news that your numbers are moving up and your PT says you;re looking good!:thumb:
 
Hi BEG,
Yes, I still have skin discoloration at 15 months post-op. It's mostly in the areas where the bruising persisted the longest and my OS says it is probably due to iron staining the tissues (remember, red blood cells carry iron). It isn't pretty, but I'm past the age when I need sexy legs and, in return, I have a super, painless new knee.
 
Just finding your story. I hope you've found your Bonesmart friends to be uplifting and helping you get through your ordeal. I can't imagine going through some of your added challenges.

My knee isn't discolored, but it is stiff.
 
I still have skin discoloration from my original accident i 2010 - looks like fading bruising

Hope things continue to improve for you

:flwrysmile:
 
Remember you come first. Take care and don't forget to journel. Tashia.
 
Physio used ultrasound on my bruising after original accident, it disappeared
 
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I can see where it is just "starting" to fade on certain parts. I had MAJOR bruising and the nurses used the same line with me "patients of YOUR doctor have severe swelling and bruising" so I guess it is normal? I hope it does fade a litte in time,it looks like "remember when you were a child and fell in the dirt"? It is actually kind of brown? Whatever, not really important at this time. :)
It is still a really long process with this bend. I am working real hard at it. Semi-normal would be i nice. P/T is helping me with balance too. I have problems because of my bad ankle on the other foot. I don't even care to think about that surgery. (posterior tibalis tendonitis) Fancy name for extreme flat foot, my ankle just caved in and I wear orthotics inside my shoes. Eventually I will need major surgery. :groan:
Today it is much warmer and the sun is shining. Mom called and asked if I could take them out again. She is sweet but not the best on the compassion meter. LOL She is the one holding back from going to assisted and if she were alone I would say that she should stay where she is. My step-dad is the one that needs all the help.
I said a ride would be fine or a visit to a park, but I cannot walk that much. Yea ME! I usually put myself last.

Well, I should get moving!! :)
 
Bravo! You are right. People just don't get what you are going through. You don't even need to explain; you have to gently insist on taking care of yourself. Really, that is a huge step for you. I can tell.
 
What a way to go. Its so hard to realize that we have to put ourselves first. We must do that. :dancy: I feel that you are getting so much stronger and your knee is so much better too. keep it up and we will get to the finsh line when we are ready. Take lots of hugs. :friends: :flwrysmile: :console2: :puppysmooze: :console2: :kittykiss: :console2: :kittykiss:
Have you hugged your :kittykiss: :kittykiss: today? Take care and remember you are important. :puppysmooze: Tashia
 
Hi BEG! Nice to catch up with your posts...sn't it funny how people who depend on us don't realize when we need to be a little dependent? That was very hard for me with this surgery - but as I get more and more independent I don't mind so much..still :tada: I hope you have a good week and take good care of you! micha
 
Just dropped by to see how you are doing? I do hope you are now putting yourself first. I do know this is hard but you can do it. Have you hugged your :kittykiss: :kittykiss: today? take care and let us know how you are your are doing. Tashia
 
Hello Hello!
Just a quick update. I am still hanging in there and so tired of this awful weather! I do believe it affects your moods. I am so looking forward to spring. :flwrysmile:
I am keeping busy with physical therapy. I joined the place where I go for therapy and go there on my own a couple days a week. I just want to be able to bend. I got another 5 degrees and am now 80. It just does not seem like much but I am getting 5 degrees a week now. I see my new doc again next week and anxious to see what he says.
I will let you all know!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom