Guest viewing is limited

TKR My TKR Was Worth It!

Interesting conversations in this household just now. Husband has just been fitted with hearing aids…
“Hon, I can hear the tinfoil ripping off the roll!”
“Hon, I can hear it when i comb my hair!”
I can’t imagine what it must be like but he’s very happy. He’s always spoken very loudly and now, overnight he’s speaking normally. Ah, life is good.
We wear hearing aides and I know exactly what he means!

Marie
 
@kiwicurls I had to chuckle reading about your husband's reactions to getting hearing aids :) I remember going through that myself. Being able to hear my wind chimes, and hearing my 2 cats meow and purr, and my housemate coming up the first night to see if I was watching TV because for the first time since he'd moved in, he could not hear what I was watching. :heehee:
 
@kiwicurls just checking in to say hi. Saw the convo about hearing aids. I haven’t needed them yet. My husband has tried several and not found a set he likes. I just say everything to him twice.
 
Hi @Suzola
I am ok thanks. The dressing fell off this morning and there was a fair amount of old ooze. The steri strips just came away due to the ooze. I was a bit worried about infection but spoke to the surgeon. He said he trusts me to clean it all up and if I’m still concerned, see him tomorrow.
I cleaned the wound with betadine, applied new steri strips and a fresh dressing. There’s no redness or heat and I don’t have a fever so I am fine. Sometimes it’s weird being a nurse; the surgeon said I am probably better at assessing wounds than he is but he’s there if needed.
Hope your pain is easing, Suzola? Hang in there!
 
As for life with hearing aids: the tv is a problem now, as he says I have it up too loud! I admit my hearing isn’t great, but I am not bad enough for hearing aids myself.
Also, he says I am shouting now! No I am not!
 
Re icing: I don’t have any fancy ice machines but I find 4 ice packs sufficient.
I also use my rice socks, which mould perfectly to any body part in need of icing.
What are rice socks?
Grab an old sock, preferably one without any holes
Fill with rice. ( raw rice, not cooked!)
Tie a knot in top of sock
Freeze.
Great for neck or headaches too. As they are soft, they fit comfortably anywhere. It’s amazing how long they stay cold!
 
Rice socks!! What a brilliant idea!! I think I'll try it out tomorrow!!
 
You need lots of rice, depending on the length of sock. Freeze 24hrs the first time. After this, it will refreeze quickly.
 
Day 14 and I slept very well last night. Perhaps I sleep ok because I don’t overdo it during the day. Also, I very rarely nap during the day.
Went for another 15 minute walk today and did morning exercises. I only do them twice a day and all I do is heel slides ( still at 100 degrees I think, but will get physio to check this afternoon) and hamstring stretches. I find straight leg raising very challenging and I am not doing it now.
Because there’s still so much covid around here I am not going out in the car unless it’s absolutely necessary. Husband does shopping with a mask on and family visit me. You may think this is silly but to get covid after major surgery could be very bad indeed as our bodies are having enough work mending from surgery. Honestly, I cannot wait for a holiday on the coast but it will happen soon. I will give myself 5 weeks because I don’t know how I would go on a 3 hour car trip just now. Pampering myself? Maybe. But it’s the sensible thing to do.
 
It sounds like you’re doing great and are making good decisions that will help the healing process. Keep up the good work!
 
Thanks @FourCats . Physio has just visited and is very happy. She added another very easy exercise and told me not to worry about the straight leg raises. We got talking about all the people who have mua’s and she said she’s never, in all her years, known my particular surgeon to do one. I knew his outcomes were excellent, but even so…
 
:wave:@kiwicurls sounds like the inner nurse inside you is looking after you, and you are listening, it's a tough recovery but you have the experience from your previous surgeries & profession to allow yourself to heal, time, is so important in our recoveries.
Funnily prior to my left knee replacement in 2019, I was an avid reader loved books so much that I would read into the wee hours at night, I bought tons of books to tide me over my first replacement, but oddly after never had the desire to read and two years on, the same books by my favourite authors still await to be read, bizarre, I watched loads of films, & in the wee hours I chatted on BoneSmart yet my books were ignored, two years on, another surgery and again I still haven't touched any of these books I'm hoping once this 2nd knee is a distant memory, maybe I will regain my love of books.
At 14 days post surgeries a 3 hour trip would be horrendous, fortunately I only started going to physio 3 weeks after and then it was a 30 minute car ride. As your knee heals you will find that you can sit comfortably with it bent, I still find it hard standing especially if I'm in front of the cooker of doing chores, I have to keep bending it as it stiffens like a rod, yet I can sit for hours with it bent.
Love your suggestion about the rice & sock, I too never bothered with ice machines, I purchase several long gel packs and they bend round my knee comfortably at night I still use a pillow between my knees, fortunately after two replacements, I'm able to sleep comfortably in any position back or sides, tummy sleeping was never the norm so not something I have tried.
I totally relate with the hearing issues, my husband gets so frustrated with me as he has to say everything twice, sometimes I choose not to hear but know deep down that some day soon I too will need aids, I think my younger wilder days with headphones on high music didn't help as at 61 ( nearly) is quite young to have trouble hearing, yet aids are so advanced now and barely noticeable but.....
Stay positive and keep on looking after yourself you will soon actively enjoying life once more xx
 
Hi @Sara61
Have you just had a tkr? Sorry but I don’t recall reading any of your posts.
I am sure your love of books will return. I have picked up a book today and am finally getting back into reading. My writing is a different story. I haven’t been happy with the way my current book is going so will leave it for now. There is no hurry.
BoneSmart has been such a wonderful help to me. It’s funny, I was lying in bed the other night thinking about all the people in the world who have just had knee replacement surgery. All trying to get comfortable in bed, icing and exercising, whether they live in the USA or Africa and everywhere in between!
All the best to everybody out there!
 
@kiwi had my 2nd replacement back in 2021 ( almost 5 months ago) unfortunately these days I'm not posting as much, as my recovery isn't as great as my first in 2019 and I find it hard reading how others are doing brilliantly and due to a overzealous physiotherapist I have had to go back to basics after having had a great start, finally I have turned a wee corner, I'm just now beginning to walk, it's been a long 4 months and had I listened to my inner self and follow my own example of my first replacement I probably would be enjoying life to its fullest by now but I'm getting there and with time and patience this will too become a reality.
I live in Portugal, most nights I'm blessed with a good night's sleep, tonight ( now its early morning) sleep has totally eluded me, fortunately I have a quiet day ahead so rest is on the cards, I worry and overthink things too much, patience is not my virtue.
 
@Sara61 …I understand completely as an over zealous physio wrecked my shoulder repair years ago. He pushed me on the gym equipment even though I was crying and pop! The clips came away, rendering the whole thing useless. When others told me that rotator cuff repair was a breeze, I felt bad! But it was not my fault and neither is your setback yours!
It must have been a very long 4 months but it’s great that you’re getting there.
A small thing which helps me a lot when I am feeling anxious/ down is simple aromatherapy. A few drops of lavender and clary sage oil on a hanky calms me and even slows a racing heart.
I know many people scoff at this but it works very well for me.
Best wishes and thoughts! x
 
Raining heavily today so I am reduced to doing laps of the carport and covered area outside.
Took panadol at 10pm last night and slept until 7am. Woke to find my good leg on top of the other one, pillow on the floor and a lot of pain. After diclofenac and panadol I recovered, thankfully. Did a little online clothes shopping to treat myself. Yes, another dress! Can’t help myself. Anyone else? How do you treat yourself?
I have been asking husband to buy me a lobster but he keeps forgetting.
 
Yep, ice cream is good. Anyone else? Come on, let’s think of what makes us happy.
How about sitting in the sun eating a mandarin and seeing how far into the garden you can spit the pips? Too silly/ disgusting?
Over to all of you…
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom