TKR My TKR Was Worth It!

Thank you, glidefloss. Lucky you, no staples! I am certainly going to mention it to my surgeon when I see him.
Suture line looks fine, they put another waterproof dressing on. Luckily I have been able to shower since day one.
My surgeon is excellent, really. All of the medics go to him and many of my colleagues have been very happy with his work. I should stop moaning and be grateful.
Best wishes.
 
Luckily I have been able to shower since day one.
Lucky indeed! But ... you missed the great pleasure of showering after not having been able to for several days! There's something to be said about minor deprivations

All the best!
 
Oh, believe me, I know all about not being able to shower. I had both forefeet reconstructed in 2020. Worth it, but what a complex recovery that was!
 
Hi everyone. All the talk by physios about “ breaking up scar tissue” sounds wrong to me. Anyone else think so too?
 
I agree! I think there are way too many myths about scar tissue and it gets blamed for a lot.

I do realize that there are true cases where it can get out of control, that’s the way some bodies work.

But, for the majority of us, normal scar tissue will occur, and it is needed, or our wounds would never close up. For most of us, as we heal, it gets less and less, without anyone “breaking it up.”

I also think what many people believe is scar tissue, is just swelling, which, again, will lessen as we heal.
 
Thanks, Jockette, for your thoughts. Too many people blindly do as they’re told, I think, without questioning anything.
Just had the home physio on the phone, arranging my visits. They asked me was i likely to attack them with a firearm or vicious dog, among other ridiculous things, but perhaps the questions might be relevant in some homes!
(although… if the physio is too aggressive I could set my old border collie onto her? Just kidding.
They insist on sending me a nurse, too, even though I said I am a nurse myself and am fine. They argued when I said I’d been given specific instructions re my dressing. “We’ll see about that” she said.
Bring it on. Watch this space.
 
Remember, you are in charge of your recovery. They have a certain protocol that includes a nurse to check on you, nothing you can do about that. What you allow him/her to do, is up to you. It’s a matter of consent. That also (especially) applies to the PT.

I will definitely be watching this space! :heehee:
 
Honestly, I feel like a grumpy old woman today. I’m not really.
 
I’m sure you’re not a grumpy old woman. It’s the nature of this recovery.
It gets better. :console2:

 
It didn’t help that the woman arranging the visits called me “sweetie darling”. I felt a hundred, not 63! I had the phone on loudspeaker and my husband was cracking up laughing.
Gotta keep our sense of humour, haven’t we!
 
I had the opposite timeline on my staple removals. 34 out of 35 hurt. My incision was almost 3 weeks old and my skin had grown some over them. I hope to get glued for any of my next surgeries.
 
. Only thing is, I worry my good leg may end up on top of the bad one while asleep. All suggestions welcome.
I slept with a pillow between my legs but I tried several before I found one that worked well. The one I used the a bit longer than the standard length of a pillow with a seam down the long center. That particular design allowed me to rest my full lower leg including the ankle on the pillow. Keeping the ankle on the same level as the knee was least painful. When I slept on my right (surgical) side, I made sure the pillow covered my surgical knee. When I slept on the left side, the pillow was on the bed, my surgical knee was on the pillow and my non-surgical leg was behind.
[Bonesmart.org] My TKR Was Worth It!
 
I can’t get over onto my unoperated side at all, so I am restricted to the operated side or my back. As you say, lying on my back is very uncomfortable,hawk2go. However, when I woke at 4am this morning my hip was aching so much I had to lie on my back. I lay awake planning a walk down my street in the autumn sunshine for today but it’s 9am and going to rain any minute.
Oh well, I’ll continue my walking around the house and simple exercises.
Anyone else feel brain fog at ten days post op? I am writing my fifth novel since retiring a year ago and normally writing gives me much joy. Just can’t think straight right now.
 
Brain fog!! I’m still experiencing it especially if I have done too much. I blame it on the knees but it might be age!
 
Back
Top Bottom