TKR My TKR Was Worth It!

Hi, @kiwicurls .....it’s good to hear from you, but I’m so sorry for your dancing accident! Hopefully, you are recovering well. Isn’t it exciting ( in a somewhat Wierd way!) how “the knee” weathered everything :-). Speaks Volumes for this whole experience. In the past 6 weeks or so, I have had 2 pretty bad falls onto cement. Basically, I have come to have a great deal more concern & respect for my still somewhat “ off” sense of balance. No doubt, it will improve as my recovery does. But.... even though I Did scrape my elbow & hand some, my recovering tooth implant, my new glasses, AND my new knee... not a scratch!! I regularly say, without a doubt, I’d do this knee replacement for sure, in a Heartbeat! ( and everything else is healing up just fine. :-). Take care of that ankle❤️
 
Thanks @Catalien45 . The foot and ankle are swollen and sore ( not tkr leg) so I can’t exercise at all, very frustrating.
I think you’re right about our balance being somewhat off! I hope you don’t have any more falls onto concrete.
I agree about the tkr being fine. For me, this surgery has been a walk in the park compared with the foot operations I’ve had ( and more to come, unfortunately.)
Look after yourself.
 
Our balance can definitely be off! I was playing cornhole yesterday and must’ve tripped on something because down I went. Needed help to get back up!

Marie
 
Hope everyone is doing ok out there in knee world? I am doing well.
I know this is a knee forum but since you’ve all been so supportive during my tkr recovery I want to ask: does anyone know of a support forum for foot surgery?
I am facing more foot surgeries and, compared to tkr, they are horrendous. I could do with some support when I have it done as the recovery is painful and inconvenient. I have to heel walk for many weeks after and showering is a nightmare. I am putting it off as long as possible because I want my knee to be well healed but the nerve pain is becoming unbearable.
I would appreciate any advice on where to get support.
Thanks, my friends.
 
I’m sorry you have such problems with your feet. We do have an “Other Joints’ forum here that you could start with:
 
Hi, @kiwicurls . I’m glad your knee is doing well, but am so sorry to hear of your foot problem. I’m hoping maybe you have been able to find some support system from the suggestions. There Should be some sort of support out there!

Our son has Very flat feet....something we discovered when he was in Jr Hi. He was running track, & suddenly, could hardly walk. Seems that the cartilage in his heel, which was forming into bone, combined with his flat feet, and the pounding of the track running, had fractured! Ouch! He was put into orthotics by the foot specialist, which remedied his immediate problem. He’s 45 now, and most likely has some resulting arthritis early on. He also has a bad knee, from a badly ruptured ACL from football a year or so later, that will need replacing one day. Good thing he settled on a career in science! Our son-in-law also has very flat feet, & has had a lot of pain lately, & is being fitted for orthotics. Most of us don’t fully appreciate foot problems, but yours sound tough. I sure hope you are able to find the support like we have here on Bonesmart.

Btw, I notice that your original post on this was several days ago. In my typical fashion, I started this also, several days ago. We have had a full week, doing some work on our outside garden shed. My husband did all the hard work, but, much of it required a 2nd set of hands (mine). And, I’m trying to catch up on some work in our garden, and potting some flower starts. It’s all looking good, & makes us happy, but, I haven’t got much else done. As I often say, it’s not going anywhere:)!

I Am being careful, promise! Those 2 falls gave me quite a scare (and getting up was FAR from graceful). But “ the knee” was a trooper! It’s still not perfect, but SO much better than pre-TKR.
Hoping to see soon that you have found that support on your foot surgery. Do keep us posted, even tho it isn’t knee related. You’re a friend, & I know we’re all pulling for the best. Take care of yourself.
 
Hi @Catalien45 ... Thanks so much for your lovely words. I really appreciate them.
Sorry your son has flat feet but glad he chose an appropriate career. Imagine if he was a policeman!
Your garden must look lovely; it's nice when it gives you and your husband so much pleasure. We are growing snow peas now as the price in the supermarket is unaffordable due to all the floods Australia has had this year. Also trying to grow leeks, garlic and spring onions but we are novice gardeners so fingers crossed!
We are going away for a few days next week (cannot wait) but when we return I will go back to the foot specialist.

I had bunions so bad that my big toes had completely dislocated and were lying underneath my feet. To complicate things, I have a condition called metatarsus adductus, where my foot bones point in the wrong direction. This makes any surgery a real challenge. I had a huge nerve tumour removed from one foot and a plantar plate repair, claw toes pinned and bunions fixed. Both feet were done at once. (Wasn't that a challenge!)

A month later, the screws popped out of one foot and I had to return to hospital for a fixation of one big toe. The left foot is fine now, with my big toe fixed but the right foot is terrible. The bunion is returning and so is the nerve tumour, causing awful pain at night. I have a feeling some of the wires from the plantar plate repair have come loose, too. And one toe is sitting directly upon another toe, for some reason!
My surgeon is a fantastic man and lovely, too. He was the only specialist in Sydney willing to tackle my feet. The other 4 surgeons I saw said I should just be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.
My surgeon told the nurses "There are deformed feet, there are badly deformed feet and then there are Lyn's feet!"
Anyway, sorry to rave on so much, but you can see why I found the knee replacement so easy. It's sometimes a case of relativity, isn't it.
I will start a new thread when I have the foot surgery and am relying on you all to keep me from tearing my hair out and crying!
Best wishes to all of my friends.
 
Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry about your feet! Hoping and praying :prayer:that this newest foot surgery will help you!:beg:
 
Hi all,
Hope everyone is doing ok?
I am getting zingers for the first time since surgery 3 months ago. They are at night and my leg jerks violently. It would be funny if it didn’t hurt so much! I know it’s just the nerves healing but very painful, isn’t it.
I see the foot surgeon next week and hopefully will have the surgery quickly. However, there’s talk of hospital closures here because of the winter covid peak. Fingers crossed…
 
As soon as that person walks in the door tell them how you do and don’t want the session to go. It’s your knee, not theirs!

After 12 knee surgeries, I know that I do not need formal PT, and neither do many others if they do their own daily activities and not just sit around all day and night.

I told the in home PT I was nervous about pain as a result of over working in PT. She made a comment about it being about guiding me to do daily activities. I think Bonesmart way of thinking is being heard.
 
Oh, those zingers really, really hurt! I remember those leg jerks. Not fun! I even get minor zingers once in a while now. Nowhere near what they were shortly after the TKR.
 
An idea for zingers: put heat on your thigh, just above your knee, before bedtime. Worked for me!

Marie
 
Hi @kiwicurls, just wondering how you're doing.
 
Hi hawk2go, How are you?
My knee is fine, just a few twinges when it rains for some reason!
Having foot surgery on 27th so only 2 weeks more to wait.
 
Biometric Pressure changes affect most surgical areas for a while yet. Even though my knee is over 5 years old now, if a bad storm is coming I can feel it in my knee for a minute or so. It's not bad at all, just lets me know something is coming so watch out!
 
Hi @ sistersinhim, how are you?
That’s very interesting about barometric pressure changes as my knee was aching a lot just before a big thunderstorm last week! Better than our Bureau of Meteorology, who never seem to get the forecast quite right. Should We all offer our services, perhaps?
 
My knees have been able to forecast storms for most of my adult life. Even as a teenager they could hurt when a big weather change was coming.
 
My knee reacts to weather, too, but of course my body has to be different, mine reacts the day after the weather event! :doh: One of our staff members called my knee a reporter, rather than an predictor.:heehee:
 
Hi to all of you who are still in the early stages of recovery.
I had my TKR in April and can honestly say it’s worth it. I need the other knee done too and can really tell the difference when walking up stairs, bending etc as my operated knee is now the “good “ knee, even though they say full recovery can take a year. The only time it hurts is when it rains but my friends on Bonesmart tell me this is normal.
I did very little physiotherapy, just used the knee in normal everyday activities and my recovery was smooth and fairly comfortable. It seems to me, the people who overdo the exercise and physio are the ones who have the most pain. It is not lazy to quit the physio and use your knee as nature intended and my surgeon said my range of motion was excellent.
All the best to everyone who may be struggling. It will get easier!
 
Back
Top Bottom