TKR My TKR Was Worth It!

I just want to say thank you to everyone on Bonesmart who has given me good advice, friendship and understanding these past few weeks.
To all of you going through recovery, I wish you all the best!
To the staff: you all do a wonderful job. You’re full of compassion and commonsense.
I won’t post again unless I need to; you’re all busy enough with the steady stream of newcomers who will all benefit from your advice as I have.
Bye. x
 
hi kiwicurls! i felt like an idiot too last week. my therapist said i need to find a place to walk up and down stairs, because we have zero stairs in our home. So i went to our club house two weeks ago, and carefully and slowly walked up and down for awhile. No problem. Then last week i tried for the second time and found it was easier. Yay! So I did it about a dozen times, and it did not hurt at all! Felt so successful. But then that night and the next morning, i could barely walk. I took three Advils and slept the entire afternoon, and felt better that evening. I know we can't overdo it. But we can't be couch potatoes either. It's hard for me to find the right balance sometimes.
 
I just want to say thank you to everyone on Bonesmart who has given me good advice, friendship and understanding these past few weeks.
To all of you going through recovery, I wish you all the best!
To the staff: you all do a wonderful job. You’re full of compassion and commonsense.
I won’t post again unless I need to; you’re all busy enough with the steady stream of newcomers who will all benefit from your advice as I have.
Bye. x
You are not allowed to leave! Please stay.

Marie
 
Yes! I agree with the others here....I always enjoy your posts. I find myself often going longer periods “ between “, when life gets busy, & I’m away from Bonesmart for a bit, but, I try to touch base now & then, & still regularly learn and benefit from others’ posts. ( btw, I still find my place on the infamous ODIC bench, & there’s lots of great company there☺️). At present, my biggest challenge is getting our garden started, so, I’ll most likely find myself there again. So please don’t stay away.... your posts are always welcome, even if they can’t be as often. Take care, & we’ll all be looking to hear from you!
 
Aw, thanks everyone! I enjoy communicating with you all, too. I will stay on for a while longer but maybe not as often as I am getting my latest book ready for publication and it’s a fiddly job. xxx
 
Hi everyone! Just a quick update:
Had my 'Perth Protocol' CT scan a few days ago. Has anyone else had this? I don't really understand but it's apparently routine for my surgeon to do it. They say it measures the rotation. I have Googled this and still don't quite get it. If there's something wrong with the rotation what do they do, if anything? Or is it just a statistic gatherer? I can't ask my surgeon as he's away having a well earned holiday for a few weeks.
I am doing well, can even vacuum the whole house in one go, now. And wash the floors, too. Isn't that sooo exciting? (Not).
We are going away for a mini holiday to the Central coast (1.5hr drive) at the end of the month and I can't wait. If the drive goes well, we will travel further in August; a 3.5 hr drive to our favourite holiday place. I think I will be ok as I sat at the computer editing my work for 2 hrs yesterday with only a slight soreness when I got up to get more chocolate. Chocolate is essential when I am writing. The calories don't count when it's all in a good cause, do they?
Grandson went on his first overnight school excursion this week, to Canberra. When asked who he missed the most, he said, the dog, of course. (that's psycho pup, the border collie). Apparently he didn't miss his mum, dad or little sister.
Hope you're all progressing well. Take care. x
 
@InkedMarie I had the same question about rotation, so I googled Perth Protocol' CT scan. I’m actually still not quite sure what it is, so I can’t really explain it, but maybe you’ll get something out of the read.

@kiwicurls I think you might be the first member (since I’ve been here) to mention this scan, I haven’t heard of it.
 
@InkedMarie and @Jockette , it is definitely rotation, not rom. I too have Googled it but am none the wiser for reading up on it.
Perhaps one of your medical people would be able to explain it in laymen’s terms ? Josephine?
Just thought I’d put it out there as surely someone has had one.
It doesn’t really matter, I guess.
 
Josephine has retired. I’ll ask the other staff members.
 
It's a new process to me as its not been mentioned on the forum that I recall. But the procedure has been around almost 20 years, so it's not new. The CT scan protocols for a Perth Protocol CT Scan provide information to the surgeon on how the implant is fixated and how it's performing. It looks at seven different alignment characteristics of the leg and has been shown to indicate potential problems with ROM and pain. When you see your surgeon, ask some questions about it, if you would. I would be curious as to why he does this after every TKR.
 
Thanks @Jamie, that explains it a little better.
I don’t see the surgeon again for a few months but I will ask him then. I would say it might be to gather statistics. My rom is excellent and my pain is minimal, as seems to be the case with most of his patients. Many of the doctors and nurses I worked with over the years have had tkr performed by him and all have had excellent outcomes.
 
This is great to hear. I'm so glad you're doing well. You're still fairly early in the recovery process, so there is plenty of time for even more improvements. It sounds like you did a great job selecting a surgeon.
 
@Jamie it helps when you’re a nurse; inside information. Actually, in my area they are all pretty good and I would trust any of them. We are very lucky indeed. The only downside is that my surgeon charges way over the standard fee. But I guess it’s worth it.
 
It definitely does sound like it was worth it. You're doing great!
 
The radio was on. Pharrell Williams song ‘Happy’ was playing. I did a little dance. I turned and went over onto my ankle. Limping about, feeling very sore and sorry for myself.
The knee is fine, thank goodness.
Note to self: don’t try to dance at 8 weeks post tkr.
Hope you’re all getting better each day!
 
Glad you're okay. Please be careful!
 
@kiwicurls This is one of those “good news, bad news” times. The good news is you were happy enough to want to dance, and the new knee handled it!”

The bad news is, the ankle didn’t. :console2:
 
Have a good ankle and knee healing!
 
Back
Top Bottom