My Story...sounds much like yours...then..

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Me2 How in the world did you go to work on day 5? That sounds amazing!

How long approximately is the no 90 degree bend for?
 
Here I go, tomorrow is pretest, class day! Why do I have butterflies on this??? Countdown to surgery on Monday, less than one week now, this time next week, new hip!
 
You'll do fine! My best thing after surgery was my home-made ice packs....in various colors....so we knew which ones were still 'chilling' and which ones were more than ready! I iced nearly around the clock and never had swelling or bruising! I bought t-shirt dresses thinking they would be easier, and rarely wore them. I was perfectly comfortable in either my nightgown, or yoga capris and a t-shirt. Larger undies....I bought hi-cut in two varieties since I had no idea where the incision would be exactly....and didn't want the elastic to bother me. I had no problem lifting my leg (no 'log-leg') but needed to support it a bit. I had a hot pink walker and an electric blue cane! (Why not???) I tied a shallow bag to the front of the walker to carry things with me (cell phone, can of soda, pudding cups, snacks, note pad and pen, covered cup of ice, etc.). Once word of advice...no matter what...it will take you longer to get to the bathroom.....so don't wait til the last minute!! I am convinced this is their sneaky way of having us do a bit of PT.....lots of pills washed down with lots of water equals more than a few trips to the bathroom!!!! Plan ahead! ~ It's great that your granddaughter will be with you - she can do the fetching and help you remember your pills and generally be of emotional comfort. ~ I was so scarred of getting into the shower the first time....but such sweet bliss when I did....but got a hefty bathmat at Target/Meijers for my sense of security...no suctions grab bars (didn't trust them). Made some meals in advance to freeze...for DH ....my appetite was nil. Even tho the hospital gave me stool softeners, I had OTC handy....just in case....along with prune juice (never used) but ate plenty of fresh fruit. ~ I couldn't believe how good my back felt the first time they got me up to walk in the hospital! They teach you how to do steps, and get in and out of a car before they let you go home. My surgery was at 7:30 AM and I was home, settled on my sofa (my domain!) by noon-ish the next day! Truly, the support of the gang of hippies on this forum was what made the whole experience an adventure and a process in patience! You'll be so glad when next week is behind you!!!!
 
@Nana2-8 I found in class that I will be sent home with leg pumpers, that I have to wear for 2 solid weeks and then return them. They send a walker and a potty, which whatever insurance doesn't pay I am sure I will be left with the entire bill, but! They seem to be extra careful with infection, sent home antiseptic cloths for 2 nights before after shower, then take yet another shower before I leave in the morning. I was so worried about the potty, but the portable is adjustable for my tall height and can take the pot out and put over my over pot. PT was there, but with limited time there, I only know that they teach me while in the hospital. So should I order a shower chair and do I back in?

I see that people say pain is controlled after, but then i see that people say they dreaded sitting because the pain was to bearable to get up? I am determined to get to the post-op side, but so afraid of the pain. I walked in, but had taken my pain pill and saw some people so much worse than me, with canes, etc. But then as I attempted the 1/4 mile to the truck, which I see both are not out, and realized this is what I must do to regain life back.

I just received a phone call from billing, seriously they want a deposit of over $300? now? Overwhelming as all of this is, and being forceful and it could be possibly cancelled, has anyone encountered this? All answers, comments, please help this gal out, it is getting very scary now, as also....fatherinlaw keeps calling DH and gets to stay in the hospital and as I listen to DH tell his DAD, this is what they say and you must get up. He is seriously enabling his father , bringing him books, telling him he doesn't have to go to nursing home, his medicare will only pay 20 days. Ughhh. Prayers this way please, I think I just want granddaughter here and let him do his thing???
 
Last edited by a moderator:
First of all.....prayers are heading your way! And, yup.....let your DH deal with/take care of his father and allow your grand daughter to take care of YOU! ~ Leading up to the surgery is THEE MOST ANXIOUS of times! Take a deep breath! You have no idea IF you will experience any degree of pain compared to others....we are each different and you should NEVER compare your recovery to others! What pain you will have will be managed. And the pain will be odd compared to what you feel now....more of a healing and gradually subsiding. You ARE having surgery, after all. Things need to heal. Try not to be fearful of what you don't know. ~ As to the shower....yes, if you have a walk-in.....depending on where the water sprays, I found I slid in side-ways and barely let the water reach the incision....and it still felt wonderful. Granted, the very first time, I had my DH standing right outside the open door "at the ready". I had also purchased at Wallgreens large Adult size body wipes which I used in between showers. ~ I've not heard about the hospital requiring a 'down payment' - maybe it's an insurance thing between your insurance and the hospital. As to the walker/cane/toilet seat riser (I, too am tall, 5'10") I compared prices at the pharmacy, medical supply store and at Target and Meijer. I knew what I would need and the prices were hugely different......and grabbed what I needed from Meijer when they went on sale. The sale prices were more than half what was charged elsewhere. Can't imagine what a 'hospital issued' supply might be charged to you! ~ I didn't have the leg 'puffers' - several other have - but instead I had the compression socks! Oh Joy!.....in the middle of summer! Talk about an exercise in patience.....couldn't put them on myself.....DH eventually became very adapt at it......(just in time to be excused from having to wear them!!!)......so count yourself lucky if you have the 'puffers'......you and your grand daughter can handle those well. ~ Please don't be afraid to wander over to the Recovery side.....I think to do so will calm your mind when you read how well the 'hippes' are doing.....and quite quickly so immediately after surgery! ~ As to the anti-bacterial wipes.....we all went thru it! The night before....AND then sleep on freshly laundered sheets, etc. .....and again the morning, before you leave for the hospital.....(I mean REALLY? like I sleep in fleas?) What blew my mind was after all of this.....I arrived at the hospital bright and bleary eyes.....and guess what they handed me? Yup! Another pack of wipes! Guess they must have thought our car was infested as well! ~ Again, prayers headed your way.....you'll be amazed....and what a wonderful bonding experience for you and you g-d!
 
@Nana2-8 Thank you, it brought me to tears. I just need slapped sometimes. You are very kind!!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@Postalgal I'm just putting my feet up after my last session of 6 weeks of outpatient PT :) Gosh does my hip joint feel great --no more heaviness and aching in the pelvis. I'm now three months post-op and slowly recovering -- I'm in turtle-mode especially in the ability to walk far :walking: I do great with a shopping cart! I never had a problem getting in and out of a chair --you will be taught how to do it in the hospital.
Re your "deposit" --it's usually a co-pay of some sort --we do it here.
Re the shower -- I had a simple shower stool that is height adjustable --we already have bars in the shower. Don't forget your walker can get wet and be used for stability. I had hubby hang out around the shower the first time also --you can get a little dizzy on standing for that long. For my first knee I had a plastic outdoor chair in the shower.......
I did much of what Nana 2-8 did -- baby wipes work great for a quick freshen up.
We are all very different in how we recover and yours will be unique to you. :tada:
 
@Nana2-8 @Chihuahuan I wish there was a helpful button! Everyone is great. I just need to keep busy, supposed to be on vacation, but that didn't turn out, and I didn't know the first of this year this was coming or Father-in-law falling. I guess to add to silly fears is that DH won't even be here at all. He will, I just need to chill... Yes I will start reading the post-op pages as well. First time help with shower...means you can do it yourself??? woohoo! Sounding much better all the time! :wowspring::yes!:
 
Sure you can shower yourself.....just maybe not the very next day after you return home from the hospital! It took me quite a few days as I recall....gotta love those 'fresh ups'. Remember, you'll be on a few drugs you may not be used to....pain, aspirin..or some sort of blood thinner...stool softener, etc. Add to that, you've gone 'bionic', have an incision....and have done probably not much but recline, elevate and ice all this time.....working up a sweat! Sure you can do it....just be cautious. I chose to also wash my hair during my first shower.....as if showering wasn't exhausting enough!!!.....now I had to dry my hair too! Well, that did me in....got 'comfy' dressed and headed right back to my domain for a well-deserved rest....BUT.....with a fresh smelling body and blissfully clean hair!
 
@Postalgal I was not allowed to shower for about a week --until my staples were removed. I was so clean before surgery and didn't do much after except sleep, ice, and elevate --and take meds on time--so it was no problem to wait for a shower. I did wash my hair in the kitchen sink -- hair is very short and had it cut before surgery so it was easy to deal with.
 
Today I go get my miralax, aspirin, body wipes, (thanks all). Today is a better day in spirit, yesterday sucked! I have to admit. Key is keep busy, keep mind busy. Do not sit and sulk, poor pitiful me, lol! So, positive mind and outlook I see also helps with recovery, thank you Josephine! I read the post op's as advised. Another thing is I think if you work, keep doing that if possible until time or a few days before. My "vacation" got ruined as you all have read, also we had a trip to Spain planned with DH's aunt, but that failed also, but I wouldn't have enjoyed it. I see the apprehensiveness from all and see it is all normal. I am ok with that. Hope to help others as they help me. Just a few more days, Monday coming quick. Makes me frantic in wondering if everything is in order at home. So, then I stop myself again, I have help, stop fretting! lol

Soon I get to post on the other side and trying to follow some of my hippie friends that are right before me and after as well, so that we might help, encourage one another. Still need the pro's , ones that have been there, as you know what to expect.

Much love and hope everyone's day is fantastic!
 
The nurse called today and told me I tested positive for staph after the nose swab! UGH! She ordered an antibiotic nose cream and some body wash! She says, no worries, we get that alot??? Really??? This is normal? Actually I was never tested for that with my hysterectomy in 07.?
 
Yup! Quite normal. And it's good they know it since they want to avoid the possibilities of infection at all costs. And no surprise that you weren't tested in '07.....they've come a long way, baby!! ~ I can just imagine you being all busy this weekend....buying pudding cups, or comfort foods, making soups, stocking the freezer with your ice packs, doing laundry on Sunday (gotta have those fresh clean sheets!) setting up your domain! Don't forget to have things you'll want/need at counter height - hair dryer, pots/pans etc. Make sure you have plenty of liquids to your liking (sorry, no alcohol mixed with your drugs!!! All in due time!). You'll keep your mind busy, I'm sure.
 
I will! But as usual, last minute me! Sheets, just washed, but wash again Sunday, they have me thinking I have bugs all over me now! lol Pot and pans, didn't think of that. Well I will get things counter top, thanks for saying that. So many things we take for granted in bending. Ready to do this!
 
@Josephine My body went into severe pain this week, ALL over. The only thing I did was stop the Aleve, blood thinner as they told me. Hard to sleep, many things on my mind, daughter's divorce, the election, lol, the SURGERY. I get confused on what day it is at night, thinking this is it.

But most important is the all over body pain - is this in preparation for the pain after surgery or just from not taking the Aleve? Any suggestions?

Time to do a swipe at the grocery store with hubby and do a bit more fixing of the domain area. I am kind of excited to get this done and behind me, sound warped????
 
Sounds like you're in 'Adrenalin' mode! And, yes, just going without the Aleve will let you know that you really will be better off once this is behind you. Crazy how those little pills mask so much, isn't it?
 
The only purchases I made prior to surgery on 10/14 were two x-large gel-filled ice pads from Amazon, (as per this article Ice to control pain and swelling) and a walker for $7.99 from Goodwill. I used it twice and it's going right back to them for the next hippie!

I already owned collapsible hiking poles and a lightweight collapsible cane. As far as a shower chair, I bought an inexpensive plastic chair from IKEA. ideally I would have liked an even more inexpensive resin patio chair but it was too late in the season! The very best underwear is boxers! I already had Jockey Skimmies for the summer, then I found Target had the same thing, made by Jockey for Target, for half the price. They're microfiber and don't disturb the incision. Then I found some in Marshalls for even less!!

My point is, you really won't know what you need until after the surgery; so much depends on the approach, restrictions if any, your physical condition prior to surgery, etc. I'm on my eighth day since surgery and I'm walking without a limp and with no aids. I take the cane when I go outside more of a precaution and to let others know that I'm fragile! I'm in my 75th year and my only regret is delaying as long as I did to have this life-changing surgery.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@Nana2-8 Well it is Adrenalin mode in mind, unfortunately not in BODY !:gaah::bricks: And I do believe it is not taking the Aleve, that I was used to. Another thing is I didn't take the tramadol on time. :bignono: Probably alll my fault.
Still thinking I can do whatever, oh boy will this be a trip after surgery. DH has told me and in no uncertain terms that I will not walk without a walker for falling and going back. Ok, then, but we haven't got there yet.

@sinijoma Wow! you are doing fantastic!!! Congrats to you! The boxers sound awesome! I have some loose jogging shorts and some mens basketball shorts, commando if it need be, not to worried on undies just yet, BUT as soon as I can, frilly and new it will be as I saw in some posts. :snork: We have to take care of us and our minds! :roseshwr:

Well the pain is somewhat subsided, I overdid it, and still more to do, guess what? It waits or someone else can do it, the walk in Wal-mart, Jc Penneys today and not taking my pain pill on time, drained me, so I see, maybe a sample of what going in a store to soon will do. Ok lesson learned and remind me, please take it easy!

The domain part should be fine tomorrow and do as I need to, countdown fellow hippies! Two more nights at home, tonight begins the antiseptic cloths. Ready to post on the other side of success as I see of all of you! :yes!:
Much love and hugs!
 
:hi: @Postalgal - been thinking about you. It sounds like you've got your ducks in a row with the help of BS so you know what to do over the next 24 hours. That final patch of pain (when I was off all meds and hurting so much I wept) was when I thought to myself "nothing could be worse than this" and, having organised all my purchases and made all my preparations, I settled into calm mode. Then everything got better. I was on a chosen course to make a big change in my life and it is one I will never regret. The difference is wonderful and I'm full of plans for a much busier and more active future once Hip #2 is done and I'm all levelled up.
Will watch out for you on the other (better) side! :roseshwr:
 
Thank you @Miss Muffet , count down is truly here. Since I joined here only 10 days ago, oh my goodness, the worries and fears that I had. But, these forums and all of you hippies have made me feel so much better about actually getting this done, and what is on the other side, my life back! I have tried to do some finishing up, but today, for whatever reason, if from yesterday or what, the back of the left knee feels like it will give out, and a pain, hoping this goes away. So it has prevented me from doing some moping that I wanted to do, may still get it done, don't know. I almost have all the basics done, hubby insists the vitamins stay on the table, well that may change after the first week, lol!
Youngest son and oldest granddaughter, they are only 6 years apart, lol Came by for a visit. She is the one that will come on week 2. You can tell they are worried, rest assured, Mom, Mammaw, is one tough gal. Son brought some yummie deer meat, he knows I love. Not heard from the other two yet, oldest grandson is doing his thing, to be expected, I don't want him worrying, he texted me, so that's good I guess, LOL!
I guess one of the things I dread is the cotton mouth when I wake. Afraid I will wake and go get a drink of water during the night. But I think my hip, and the back of my knee if still hurting will tell me get back. Hubby has said he will put a sticky note on my forehead to remember, LOL! Seriously, I think I will put one on the sink and frig, just in case. I don't normally get up to eat, but have gotten up for water. I think they said I can pop a pain pill with less than 1 oz of water, but I will try nothing at all like originally said, so NO complications.
I will be watching for any last minute advice...here is to getting my life back :fingersx::yahoo:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom