My Story...sounds much like yours...then..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Postalgal

Country
United States United States
Hello all! :sos::rolleyes: I am scheduled for a LTR October 24th! I just came upon this site and will be checking frequently. I go this Tuesday for assessment and even a class with my coach (hubby and grand-daughter).

I see where people have been to the Dentist to get "clear". I have a little spot that when cold hits it, between my teeth it sort of says HELLO. Should I go get this checked??

Nervous of course. I slid on black ice 6 years ago, didn't fall, but they say the blood flow was messed up then and I did a real splits fall down my stair case a couple of years ago, which added of course. It is this year now, I am limited to what I can do, and as I was a doer, I guess you say I have cried Uncle! :bawl:

I went on a convention trip to Orlando, wanting to take in as many things as I could, Epcot was calling me, well I made the circle, to end up crying on Tramadol when we finished. No, I didn't stop there...we wanted to go to Hard rock cafe in Universal, such a mistake as I FORGOT to take the Tramadol, made it, put extreme pain in August.

Backtracking, my first OS was in 02/10 when I first did the splits, he said I needed a new hip! What? No, I didn't! This man is crazy I thought, only at 52 and my youngest graduating high school. I thought he was a maniac! lol

Oh, this also happened at my work, which they wrote down, but I don't think they will pay now after 6 years? Anyway...I asked the OS what else, he ordered a steroid injection under xray, hurt like heck, lasted about 4 months, pain back. I did another, but that was it, they missed! I literally thought I would die right there as I was holding my breath! lol

Well, I went on, lost some pounds, on and off, I was in total denial. I didn't limp yet... I was doing everything just great, pain gone, weird...then, I started having problems after sitting of standing up straight. Like the joint needed to be straightened out? That went on a couple years. I did my cruises, walking the track, walking the islands, no issues. Again, this is weird to me.

Then this year, pain when laying down, to tears of pain. Leg would cramp like excruciating charlie horse! My whole thigh, never had anything like it, happened a few times, very scary.

I visited another different OS this March. He did tests, I described what I felt and he also said I had bursitis, hoping that was all it was, he did an injection and I walked out smiling. He did say I was a candidate, I guess this is the standard thing to say? The first one just said you need a new hip! Well he told me that since I couldn't cross my leg and the xray showed no cartilage, it is only when I am ready. Yes! I am very stubborn as well.

I tried a comfrey cream, homemade and on Amazon, seemed to help, but pain always returns. So after the August event and trying to make a vacation which I am on now, but NOT going anywhere. I wish I had already done something. Yes, emotions are high, anxiety is high, anticipation is high.

Worse, here is the extra! My father-in-law lives nearby, alone, has broke almost every bone in his body and in pain, did withdrawals etc, heck of a year for all of us here. Well, he fell Monday, and broke the ball on his right hip, he had successful surgery on Wednesday, he is still in the hospital, has gotten up, but here is my thing, hubby cannot take care of us both! How can I be ok, if during my first week, my father-in-law during his 2½ week post op requires more care, I guess in other words which is going to rehab or nursing home?

I have a granddaughter, 18, who will be a coach, for at least 1 week if not 2, will I be ok?????? Yes, father-in-law has another child, a daughter, but she isn't here and do not expect her to be. I am trying to not be a worry wart or a whiner, but will I be ok? Will he? Hubby says that his father most likely will go into rehab, but what happens after? He has a split level home. So now I have made this post about two, it is what it is, help!??

I went to yet another, third OS and I like this guy, he is for me, the patient, did not rush, was the end of the day, and answered my questions. I scheduled right there.

Hope to gain and share info as I/we go through this life changing adventure to regain our lives back. I am very determined to get this done and behind me. Hugs to all!

@Postalgal Welcome to BoneSmart! With a bit of preparation you should be fine post op. You will be fully mobile after your operation. They won't let you leave the hospital until you can do the basics like moving around on your own, going up and down stairs, dressing yourself, etc. If your granddaughter can check in on you at least once per day you should be just fine.

Freeze some meals and stock up on snacks and drinks that you enjoy. Be sure you have your recovery aids to hand. You will be fine!

@Postalgal When I left the hospital I was able to walk short distances and up+down stairs with a mobility aid. There are a few threads on here about what to prepare before surgery -- an elevated toilet seat probably being the most important (mine has arms that make it easier to get up and down). The other item is small pre-prepared meals like nourishing soups in cup-size portions as you will have little appetite. Large ice-packs are critical as well as extra pillows to elevate your leg.
Lovely you have a grandaughter to help.

@Jaycey thank you! I actually have granddaughter on lock down reserve, lol I was blessed early with two grandchildren at 39 and 40, so really I am more like Mom as I have been in their lives the entire time, close to all five of my grands, my life! I will actually be ok and able to leave a room and go to another that soon? It is totally amazing at all of the posts I review!

@Chihuahuan thank you also, i am tall at 5' 8½", this is my fear with sitting anywhere. The toilet seat is next to order, appears amazon has almost everything you need! I will be used to the no appetite as I don't have it now, so hopefully no weight gain.

You had a hip replaced this year? Doing great? I have lots of reading to do here, so happy to find this site!

I will actually be ok and able to leave a room and go to another that soon?
They will get you out of bed and walking within hours of the anaesthetic wearing off. Do you know whether you are having general anaesthetic or a spinal? In either case it's a matter of hours post op that you are up and moving at least across a room or to a chair. The next day you will be walking the halls or around a ward. And very soon PT will teach you how to go up and down stairs.

Here in the UK they never take you out of the hospital in a wheelchair unless you have mobility issues. Post both THRs I walked out to the car on my own. I spent most days on my own post op.

I do know he will do a regional "block" . I will have to check if light general or what for sure and get back.
Can I ask what kind you had?
It is great news to see and hear that you did great!

The OS had told me to be off work for at least 3 months, sound accurate?

That sounds good -- I'm at that point now and am happily retired but active with young grands who we look after when Mom ( a nurse) is on duty. As I've had both knees replaced my recovery has been a little longer as I've needed PT to get my gait in good shape. I also have some neuritis that is taking "ages" to go away. It all simply takes time. My thread is called "Dopey" as I was very dopey from a general anesthetic when I began it.

Can I ask what kind you had?
I had spinal with sedation. That's really the way to go in my opinion. No groggy feeling or nausea post op. You wake up alert and hungry.
It really depends on your work and how you react to the procedure. Normal time off work can be anywhere from 6-12 weeks and then a Phased Return to Work.

Sounds good. This actually works out if I have to do the 12 weeks, because the new year will start over for FMLA and should be able to do the Phased Return to Work! I love all the links, thanks so much! My mindset has changed drastically for the good already!

My mindset has changed drastically for the good already!
Mine did too - courtesy of this great site. Went from crumbling wreck to convert. OK I was nervous of surgery (who wouldn't be) but the actuality as so much better than I imagined. I had spinal with sedation and was fully alert (no hangover) straight after I returned from recovery where my hubby sat and had a totally normal conversation with me. Up on my feet and to the commode with assistance within a couple of hours, walking with a frame the next morning the length of the corridor to the stairs the next day. Could have been discharged after 2 days but was still juggling meds. Pain all completely under control. Mostly stiffness which was managed with constant application of ice gel packs from Amazon, elevation and close attention to meds at regulated intervals. My 2 grabbers were my constant companions and I loved my sock gadget (still do!) I also got a shower stool and robust shower mat. I believe recovery starts before you go into hospital - getting organised is key so you have the comfort of feeing that things are in place when you return home. Best wishes

About the bursitis part mentioned as part of your diagnosis, my surgeon removed the sac of fluid causing bursitis at the time of THR surgery.
I went to Disney World and Epcott 4 months after my first THR. Not a problem at all. Had a great time till the flight to Mars experience. You sit still in a seat as a captain of a space ship. All the controls and flight screen on a fast moving screen propelling you into outer space faster that napped of light. That experience opened up the doors to motion sickness. OMG ! I thought since my 5 year old grandson had been on it before,I could too. Yikes ! That was worse than surgery.
You will have a better quality of life after your new shinny hip replacement that's the bottom line. Just in time for the Holidays!

@Postalgal Some minor things that make life pleasant --pretty nighties (much easier than pj's when you need a dash to the toilet), undies that do not bind in the leg -- simply go "commando" at home, and instead of a standard-colored walker go for something that suits your personality --mine was a purple one made by Lumex and was under $40 on Amazon. Create a place next to your bed where all the essentials are in easy reach. I have Amazon prime on the TV in our bedroom so I can ice and elevate and watch programs that are easy to comprehend. I had to jot down when I took meds as I couldn't remember what I had done .....memory was out of whack for quite a while with the pain meds.

@Chihuahuan I saw the purple walker! I love it! Only thing better would be pink with sparkles! lol! And yes on the nighties...do I need to purchase sweat pants? I might have a few dresses I could wear. I am getting excited to getting my life back, thank you all for this great encouragement! Love and hugs!!!:loveshwr:

@Postalgal - not a special shower mat as such, just one with decent suckers which makes it completely reliable. I got mine from Amazon, but was on the UK site. Mobility shops do also sell them. I had a couple of wide-legged sweat pants in one size larger as, like the big knickers I didn't want anything pressing on my thigh. Clothing was simple and limited. I lost my fashion consciousness for a few weeks, just wanted to be comfortable! Soon, once back in jeans, I started to take more interest. It's really all about comfort and convenience. Wow you're just around the corner now. Life will change for the better really soon :yes!:

@Postalgal We have no-slip tiles in our shower so never need a bath mat. Just need to secure yourself from slipping or falling. Do a trial run through the house with the walker to make sure you have a good path through. I just wore loose dresses as it was hot here. I still don't like anything on my operated side so am wearing looser things --even my exercise pants!

We installed safety suction rails and wall handles to hold onto to get in and out of shower. As well as the walls in the bathroom. Also suction attachments available to attach removable shower head to adjust for lower/ higher positions as needed to control the water direction. Our shower has a 4" step over and non slip surface. I wore slide on shower shoes, slip resistant easier for me than a mat. Also added the suction rails and handles to hallways and walls in home. Also placed suction rails near the toilet for help getting up. Available at Amazon of course.

For clothing I was a fan of elastic waists & full long skirts just pop over head, and snap , pull over tops & zip tops. My hands are arthritic. Found some tops and jackets with Velcro too. Easy off and on wore to hospital before surgery and home after surgery.

Undies is a whole other topic. Especially with pain meds. I wore disposable adult undies easy on and off and great protection for accidents.

Great suggestions from everyone, all spot on. Thank you all for the great advice.Will come I'm handy for next THR Revision next spring.

You can absolutely do this! :goodpost: All of them!

Just wanted to add as you mentioned thinking of dresses ..... as I own my own business, I had to be ready to be "back to work" on Day 5 from my THRs looking professional. I was with great support from staff and sweater dresses were my absolute go to. I had a couple and bought a bunch more. Kind of like a night gown but not :eyebrows:

You will feel so much better immediately after surgery than before. THR is unlike any other surgery, the improvement to quality of life is so amazing! Usually

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads