Guest viewing is limited

My Story, BTKR 1/2/2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
That very same Nor'easter hits here this evening. Did the phone preoperative and headed to the hospital tomorrow to get updated xrays for the doctor, blood work and an EKG. Honestly I've been calm as can be. After the call today I'm a bit nervous as well. Funny eh. I know everything is routine but it gets the mind going.

Harry.
 
My pre-op tests are Thursday morning, and my surgery is the 19th (10 days away...holy ****!).

I hear that the surgery is pretty anti-climatic, but that doesn't make it any easier. :)
 
@oldrugbyprop - bilateral in just a few days! I've been shockingly calm, as well, but just in the past day or two I've had some panic set in. Guess it's natural.

@treypops - your LTKR is just a couple days after mine, so looks like the 3 of us will recover together. Best of luck to both of you!

@noc - hope your pre-op appointment went well. It was actually nice being able to talk to my primary care doctor about all of this and she helped put my mind at ease a little (even though she, and her entire staff, commented on me being "too young" for this!). Fortunately, they weren't scolding or judgmental, just concerned about me.

Bunch of 40-somethings on this thread getting our joints replaced for Christmas! :snork:
 
@lunula

"You're too young for this." I hear it all the time. My first OS told me that this surgery would be like giving a Corvette to a 16 year old - that I would feel so good with it that I would "drive it too hard" and wear it out. My primary, and most of my co-workers can't believe this is happening at such a young age. But here's the kicker: none of those people know what it's like to deal with this OA pain every day. I'm not a complainer, generally speaking, so I don't usually articulate what I'm going through - but it's been a tough, tough few years. I'm ready to endure a little more discomfort, this time post-op discomfort, with the promise of much better, and more active days to come.

Yes, it looks like the forty-somethings will be monopolizing the post-op forum in the coming weeks.
 
@Josephine , hahaha :cool:

@lunula , I heard that at least three time's today - "wow, both knee's at your age - your young"~! To bad, my knee's do not think so - I should of brought my cane - had to stand for awhile , pretty packed today due to a early morning problem the "Pre-Admission's" Lab had - so, seating was crowed for a bit - and I was raised to give my chair to a lady , so I made sure that if a lady was standing - I would give my chair....oh, what a gentleman I am.

All went well, two (2) chest xrays, blood work, urinalyses, talked with the RN ( special soap given ), talked with the anesthesiologist ( though, she said I was in good health, and wondered why they sent me to speak with her ) - and finally the EKG...


Hope you all - did well today as well...
Glad to be home~!

Much Thanks all for the kind words~!

respect,
-chris
 
Glad it all went good today. Till I found this site I thought I was the only person in my 40's getting this done. Great site and good info and it is a relief to hear others are going through the same thing. I get the awfully young comment a lot then watch their eyes bug out when I say both knees are being replaced at the same time. seven years ago my Ortho told me my right knee was bone on bone. And that I should stick it out as long as I can. Then my left knee started to go. It made me wish it was bone on bone like the right. I'd forgotten how sore pieces of cartilage stuck in there feel. So glad that this part is almost over.

So I look forward to hearing how you guys are doing during recovery and I'll be sure to pass on any info or thoughts after Mondays surgery. keep your chins up it can only get better from here.
 
Latest statistics show that the numbers of 40yr olds having hip and knee replacements is increasing in leaps and bounds. You guys are just wearing out your joints!
 
All went well, two (2) chest xrays, blood work, urinalyses, talked with the RN ( special soap given ), talked with the anesthesiologist ( though, she said I was in good health, and wondered why they sent me to speak with her ) - and finally the EKG...
I am glad to hear that this little hurdle has been successfully hopped over---keep us informed as to what is going on and how we can help you!
 
My physical therapist commented that she has worked with quite a few TKR people in their late 30s and early 40s. She fully believes it is a quality of life decision. The youngest patient she worked with was a 7 year old bone cancer survivor. Not sure how well the implants work in a growing child.
 
I am 53 and I had a few tell me I was to young also, but my current doctor feels it is a quality of life issue and with new devices lasting longer, he has no objections.
 
I am 53 and I had a few tell me I was to young also, but my current doctor feels it is a quality of life issue and with new devices lasting longer, he has no objections.
Too Young? Wow! I was also 53 when I had my BTKR done seven years ago---neither my referring OS, nor the surgical OS who did the BTKR, mentioned my age.

It is all about your quality of life!
 
How has it been for you since you seven years in? Have the new knees done well for you? Do you still have any pain at all? Are you as active or more than you thought you would be as a result?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Too Young? Wow! I was also 53 when I had my BTKR done seven years ago---neither my referring OS, nor the surgical OS who did the BTKR, mentioned my age.

It is all about your quality of life!

It's funny, my OS is one that never made the "too young" comment. He has cautioned me not to take the decision lightly and to take other more conservatives paths first, but he told me years ago that I would "need both knees replaced" in the near future if I wanted to continue being active. In my TKR class at the hospital, out of about 12 patients total, there were 2 others that look to be around my age - maybe late 40s or early 50s.

It's really a struggle for me right now, as I'm in a very calm phase for my knees. Since I've reduced my activity levels by a lot, my pain has gone down significantly. I had someone ask me why I didn't just do that for awhile longer instead of having my knee replaced. Unfortunately, less activity has also meant a weight gain, a more depressed mood and seeing my friends a lot less. All bad things.:boohoo:
 
@lunula - I struggle with the same thing - well, not recently as my knee is currently in the "please hand me a saw, lets get this going!" phase. However, just a short time ago I nearly cancelled.

Could we wait another year or so if we were content to sit around and not do the things that make life worth living? Probably - though it really is a struggle to get thru the day now, so maybe not. At any rate - what would we have gained by waiting? Muscles that have lost their strength, debrided bones and creeping weight gain! No, thanks!
 
definitely, QUALITY OF LIFE~!!!! And, boy I can not wait to get mine back~!!!!!!

respect,

-chris
 
@lunula @TexasTee

Same here! My knee has calmed down a bit which has made me momentarily question whether I should move forward. But it doesn't take much for me to remember just this past August/September when I felt like I had a knife in the side of my knee all the time. This is the right thing to do.

I had my pre-op testing and orientation class today. The nurse says they are going to have me up quickly and as active as possible. It kinda contradicts all of the good advice I've been reading here. I'm not going to let anyone push me beyond tolerable pain.

Surgery in one week! Yikes!
 
They want you up in the hospital quickly but if it's like me, that just means they'll have you do a little walking every day depending on how much you can handle. My first walking was just to the door and back. Then a little bit out into the hall the next day. It was based on what I felt up to doing. I was amazed at how much I could actually do.
 
HI @noc just read your thread - can empathize with loss of quality of life, loss of cardio fitness and gain in weight - grrrrrr. These were all factors in me making my decision - I think the pain was also a factor :loll:but definitely not the only one. I'm scheduled for BTKR on Jan 28th so I will be watching your progress with interest. Like you I have learned a ton of stuff from this site and I love the camaraderie of others "in the same boat".

My advice is stay focused on the AFTER and work hard to get there - all the best for you surgery - Maggie
 
This week, I meet with my OS one more time, and also have my Primary Care Doctors appointment as well, for medical clearance for my pre-admin tests done last week..

One thing, that has me wondering - will I just go home from the hospital, after a few days after surgery?

I want to be home with my family ( wife, and kids ) - my house has a quest bedroom on the 1st floor, we have the "extended" toilet apparatus to make the toilet higher - I also have a temporary commode as well, we have two walkers ( 4 wheel, and no wheel ) - I believe that I am strong enough, and have the family ( my Dad, my Brother, and my in-laws) for support while home - I do not want to go to a rehab hospital, and I think that would really hurt my spirit....I guess this, is one thing I should talk with my OS this week?

Much Thanks~!

-chris
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom