Guest viewing is limited

TKR My solo odyssey to recovery

Is it normal to have up and downs? It is frustrating!
Very normal. Especially at less than 2.5 weeks post op. Rest assured, it will get better.

[Bonesmart.org] My solo odyssey to recovery
 
It took me a few “hurt” exercises to get it through my thick skull to listen to my body which was telling me it wasn’t ready to do that yet. I would take a day to rest with ice and elevation then ease back in to the basic heel slides and straight leg raises. Then in a day or two try to add a new exercise. Our bodies, including our baby knees, communicate if we just listen. Take it slow and steady.
 
There will still be up and down days for you for many more months. That's why we call it a 'rollercoaster ride'!
[Bonesmart.org] My solo odyssey to recovery
 
Maybe I should stop doing that exercise for a while.
I was never given the “sit to stand exercise” to do. However, I did get that movement any time I sat in any chair, and later got up. By doing it this way, there was time between both movements. Doing it as a repetitive exercise can be too much, especially in the early weeks.

You don’t have to do any exercise that hurts. That is counterproductive as your knee is trying to heal. You can even skip an exercise simply because you don’t like it.

Regaining our ROM, strength, and general healing, does not require forceful bending or painful exercises.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
Hey Vinny, hang in there man ! the icing advice really works I m 4 months in and it’s still my best friend , I keep about 6-8 bottles of water in the freezer and rotate them as needed for the air cast icer. I would say focus on your physical therapy and the small milestones that you will have from it !! One day at a time and pretty soon you’ll be out and about again!
Good luck , you got this !!!
 
Maybe I should stop doing that exercise for a while.


You don’t have to do any exercise that hurts. That is counterproductive as your knee is trying to heal. You can even skip an exercise simply because you don’t like it.
It didn't hurt per say, but it was very challenging! I take 2 days off, just icing, leg raises, heel alides and a few walls.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Vinny, hang in there man ! the icing advice really works I m 4 months in and it’s still my best friend , I keep about 6-8 bottles of water in the freezer and rotate them as needed for the air cast icer. I would say focus on your physical therapy and the small milestones that you will have from it !! One day at a time and pretty soon you’ll be out and about again!
Good luck , you got this !!!
I am just frustrated. I was doing so well, I waa walking with one crutch after 12 daya, ans at times I could walk a few feet unassisted.
I was hoping after 3 weeka to ditch the crutch and get a cane.
Now, I take it a few days easy, icing, heel slides, walking and leg raises, hoping the pain will go away soon.
 
The "sit to stand" exercise seems to be a PT favorite. It could be a little early for that one; or you may want to minimize the number of repetitions right now.
 
Maybe I should stop doing that exercise for a while.
Yes, I agree with your idea to quit for a time, especially while you're still hurting. Try not to be frustrated. Think of how early into the healing process you are and be proud of yourself that you've settled into a routine, are recovering from major surgery alone and that you're likely where you should be at this point in time. You're not even three weeks post op yet, so don't give up on your goal, but don't be disappointed if you don't reach it either, because honestly....you'll be in good company with many others here. :friends:
 
He did prescribe flomax
Didn't pick it up yet. > I was reluctant to use it.
Why? It’s excellent for the issue we both struggle with…BPH
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That seems pretty short for a TKR.
My scar is less than 4 inches but that was a PKR.
A lot depends on how well your skin heals. Some people are lucky and their scars fade really well. Mine tend to stay a bit red especially on my lower legs where my circulation isn't great.
 
My scar is about 7" long. I think as time goes on, they are learning to do more with a shorter incision.
 
My scar is 8” and straight as an arrow! And getting lighter every week. Currently at 14 weeks LTKR
and very happy with progress. No real limitations…even though still a little stiff and slightly swollen…up to 3 or 4 days a week playing pickleball
 
That seems pretty short for a TKR.
My scar is less than 4 inches but that was a PKR.
A lot depends on how well your skin heals. Some people are lucky and their scars fade really well. Mine tend to stay a bit red especially on my lower legs where my circulation isn't great.
I was surprised and happy to see a smaller scar!
 
Tomorrow Is my last 6th home PT visit. Next week I go to outpatient PT therapy
How long was yout PT therapy and how often?
 
Last edited:
Everyone’s PT visits vary depending upon the individual. My first knee was twice a week for six weeks, second was twice a week for four weeks, and I have been discharged for my current knee just before the four week mark having had sessions once or twice a week.

Its very important to remember that just because you are discharged by PT doesn’t mean to stop doing the exercises.
 
How long was yout PT therapy and how often?
I didn't have any formal physiotherapy apart from one session pre-op and two sessions ( one on Day 1 and one on Day 2) to check I could manage stairs on two elbow crutches before discharge. I had a booklet with some exercises.
I paid for my pilates teacher to come once a week from about week 3. We started with bed exercises using a folded mat to make it a bit firmer. We moved onto the floor at about week 5-6 and introduced very light weights ( 1/2 kg) and a resistance band at between 3-4 months. My ROM is great - now 145+ flexion. We never did anything that hurt even slightly.
My teacher's motto is listen to your body. A slight muscle burn is ok but any sharp or shooting pains then back straight off.
I did some of her YouTube short sessions 4-5 days/ week as well ( free- Google YouTube Katja pilates).
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom