Guest viewing is limited

TKR My solo odyssey to recovery

What you’re experiencing is normal and, not to be the bearer of bad news, will probably continue for another month or more. Many of us find a recliner or chair with ottoman easier and more comfortable for sleep. Also, sitting makes it easier to ice through the night.

Are you napping during the day? For me, getting an hour or two of sleep throughout the day and night provided enough rest to accomplish my daily exercises and daily activities.
 
Unfortunately, that is normal. If you are a side sleeper it is rough, I spent the first 10 weeks in my recliner. I kept my ice on 24/7 and would walk around my family room to ease the discomfort. After the 10 weeks I used a variety of pillows to try to get comfortable. Grabbing a nap throughout the day will help.
 
Sadly you're not alone as sleep can feel elusive in early recovery, but it will become easier given more time. It always seems pain ramps up at night when it's dark, there are less distractions and lack of physical movement.
Assuming you are placing the pillow between your knees? You can also try icing for the pain as you fall asleep. I know it may not be the most comfortable, but many do it. It worked for me. Consider trying some relaxation music, maybe a cup of chamomile tea, or a recliner if you have one. I slept in one my first three weeks post op. Some wander between bed and recliner also. When all else fails...NAPS. Sleep when your'e able for now.
Good Luck and Happy Thursday!
@Vioryny
 
Try not to dwell on it, given the procedure is relatively new with little long term research available, take comfort that you're in good company with the multitude going before you that are enjoying a fulfilling life and back to all they love...minus their ACL. Your future looks bright! :SUNsmile:
@Vioryny
The more I read about the ACL/ PCL preservation, the more I have regrets for not knowing before the surgery about keeping ACL - I would ve asked my surgeon to save my ACL. I don't know if he would ve done it.

Advantages of ACL Preserving Total Knee Replacement​

Traditionally, surgery for total knee replacement involved removal of the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) even if it was healthy. However, due to the loss of the ACL, some patients experience knee instability. ACL preserving during surgery can improve knee function and strength after total knee replacement. The advantages of ACL preservation include:

  • Good range of motion
  • Better functioning of the implant
  • Prolongs the life of the implant
  • Gives a natural feel to the knee
It makse sense to me to save the ACL.
I wished mine was saved.
 
Sadly you're not alone as sleep can feel elusive in early recovery, but it will become easier given more time. It always seems pain ramps up at night when it's dark, there are less distractions and lack of physical movement.
Assuming you are placing the pillow between your knees? You can also try icing for the pain as you fall asleep. I know it may not be the most comfortable, but many do it. It worked for me. Consider trying some relaxation music, maybe a cup of chamomile tea, or a recliner if you have one. I slept in one my first three weeks post op. Some wander between bed and recliner also. When all else fails...NAPS. Sleep when your'e able for now.
Good Luck and Happy Thursday!
@Vioryny
You mean to ice it all night long? That would be tough for me as I am a fussy sleeper.
 
Hi Vioryny, I am a few days behind you - my RTKR was done on 11 April, so I think that makes me day 9. I was in hospital 4 nights, then had one of my sons stay 2 nights, then one or other son popped in on me 3 more daytimes, until today. So I’ve been mostly on my own since day 6. I really didn’t want it to be that way, and was quite upset at first. But in fact I’m finding it ok - I like being able to rest most of the time right now. I have my little dog for company, Ruby, who is a 12 year old terrier mix rescue. I guess also I’ve got used to it, because I’ve been waiting for this surgery, a really long time, and housebound for six months already.

At the moment, I’m basically just sleeping, exercising, eating a bit, sleeping some more… I’m taking max dose paracetamol/tylenol plus 10ml liquid morphine 3 per day (my prescription is for up to 6x). Nighttime is massively more uncomfortable, so I’m basically taking 1 dose before I go to bed, 1 (on one of the 7000 occasions I wake up!) in the night, and 1 when I wake in the morning because I wake in pain. I’m using ice packs inside a pillowcase as often as I can manage to get them. I’ve managed to borrow a mini fridge today for my bedroom, which I hope will make a big difference to night times because then I can ice in the night - my main fridge is downstairs.

I’m doing a full set of PT bed exercises, at least twice a day but just pottering around otherwise not pushing myself because I have a whole load of other health issues.

I’m doing okay. I was expecting this period to be really dreadful, and although it’s difficult, it’s not as bad as I expected. I’m due to have my other knee replaced on the 23rd of May, which is one of my reasons for being kind to myself with pain medications and exercise: I don’t want to frighten myself off the second surgery, or create any problems that might stop it from going ahead. In six weeks or so, after both knees are done, I plan to start exercising in a more structured way.

A couple of other things to mention since you have… I’m also a side sleeper, and find it pretty much impossible to sleep on my back, keeping my legs straight. I am using a long pillow alongside my non-surgical side, which keeps my surgical knee raised and cushioned, but I don’t think it’s very good for my back or my hips. And like you, I’ve had some odd issues with urination - I think I’m currently going more often at night, then during the day, which is presumably because I’m so restless! A nurse in hospital told me this is very normal.

I look forward to following your recovery… I think you are the closest ‘recovery buddy’ I have found so far!
 
Hi Vioryny, I am a few days behind you - my RTKR was done on 11 April, so I think that makes me day 9. I was in hospital 4 nights, then had one of my sons stay 2 nights, then one or other son popped in on me 3 more daytimes, until today. So I’ve been mostly on my own since day 6. I really didn’t want it to be that way, and was quite upset at first. But in fact I’m finding it ok - I like being able to rest most of the time right now. I have my little dog for company, Ruby, who is a 12 year old terrier mix rescue. I guess also I’ve got used to it, because I’ve been waiting for this surgery, a really long time, and housebound for six months already.

At the moment, I’m basically just sleeping, exercising, eating a bit, sleeping some more… I’m taking max dose paracetamol/tylenol plus 10ml liquid morphine 3 per day (my prescription is for up to 6x). Nighttime is massively more uncomfortable, so I’m basically taking 1 dose before I go to bed, 1 (on one of the 7000 occasions I wake up!) in the night, and 1 when I wake in the morning because I wake in pain. I’m using ice packs inside a pillowcase as often as I can manage to get them. I’ve managed to borrow a mini fridge today for my bedroom, which I hope will make a big difference to night times because then I can ice in the night - my main fridge is downstairs.

I’m doing a full set of PT bed exercises, at least twice a day but just pottering around otherwise not pushing myself because I have a whole load of other health issues.

I’m doing okay. I was expecting this period to be really dreadful, and although it’s difficult, it’s not as bad as I expected. I’m due to have my other knee replaced on the 23rd of May, which is one of my reasons for being kind to myself with pain medications and exercise: I don’t want to frighten myself off the second surgery, or create any problems that might stop it from going ahead. In six weeks or so, after both knees are done, I plan to start exercising in a more structured way.

A couple of other things to mention since you have… I’m also a side sleeper, and find it pretty much impossible to sleep on my back, keeping my legs straight. I am using a long pillow alongside my non-surgical side, which keeps my surgical knee raised and cushioned, but I don’t think it’s very good for my back or my hips. And like you, I’ve had some odd issues with urination - I think I’m currently going more often at night, then during the day, which is presumably because I’m so restless! A nurse in hospital told me this is very normal.

I look forward to following your recovery… I think you are the closest ‘recovery buddy’ I have found so far!
Hello, fellow TKR
I had surgery on April 7th, I was discharged 3 hours after surgery - I live in California, USA, and if you are able to pass the PT exercises and being stable ,they discharge you.
I also had a femoral nerve block after surgery, for 2 days. Pain was not bad, but after removal of the nerve block device, pain was awful for at least 2 days
I take ibuprofen and Tylenol for pain. I stopped the oxycodone, after 8 days.
I am surprised that you will go for a second surgery after only a month or so. Here, they make you wait 3 months.
As far as urination, do you go more often? Do you have a sense of not complaining voiding? I do.
Good luck!
 
@Vioryny, I also have a terrible time sleeping on my back. I found that if I laid on my non-operated side and kept that leg straight, I could put my new knee on a pillow with a bend in it and sleep for a few hours that way.

I iced all night long with a circulating ice-water machine. After about 4 hours I'd have to get up and switch out the frozen water bottles and water but was able to go back to sleep for a few more hours in my recliner. I was back and forth like this for a couple of months or more.
 
I can’t imagine how hard it must’ve been to be discharged 3 hours after surgery - quite brutal, really!

I stayed in hospital longer than normal because I was potentially high-risk, since I have an autoimmune disease, and I had what they call a ‘cryptogenic’ stroke in September. That means they don’t know what caused it - personally I think it was a combination of the medications I have been on, and the dramatic loss of mobility that I experienced, which made me more unfit and immobile than I have ever been before.

I had a nerve block too. For the first four or five days, I couldn’t tell whether I needed to urinate or not, and didn’t go very much, probably because I was dehydrated. Then after that I developed what I’m calling a twitchy bladder - it seems to be pretty random - but yes, definitely a feeling that I am not voiding completely.
 
I need some advice please!
I am having a hard time sleeping as my knee usually hurts more at night time.
I try to sleep on one side with a pillow under my knee but is tough. I can't really sleep on my back. I know is more pressure when I sleep on my side. I am 13 days post-op. During the day pain isn't bad, but at night time is worse.
It is very common to have more pain at night. Sometimes this is a result of doing too much during the day, for some reason, the pain catches up with us at night. Since you are recovering alone, don’t worry about doing too many formal exercises, especially this early in recovery. Just doing things you need to do during the day will give your knee all the healing mobility it needs.

I must have been one of the lucky ones, I slept in my bed from the first night home. I had always been a side sleeper but couldn’t sleep on my side after this surgery. I was able to adjust to sleeping on my back by using an elevation wedge for my legs. The Lounge Doctor is a good option.

Another good option is this one I got on Amazon,
”OasisSpace 8” Leg Rest Pillow, Leg Elevation Pillow, Bed Wedge Post Surgery…” Copy and paste that into the Amazon search feature.
 
You mean to ice it all night long? That would be tough for me as I am a fussy sleeper.
It is personal. If it causes you further aggravation to do so, then skip it. I never minded it, day or night, and would even exchange my gel ice pack for a fresh one in my middle of the night bathroom break.
As far as using a pillow as you mentioned, consider a Body Pillow which are about 52 inches long to place between your legs as it offers more comfort in my opinion due to length. I purchased mine for about $10 from Target but you can purchase them from any number of places. I still use mine almost six years later and don't sleep as well with out it.
 
Day 14 - Dr. office visit. Bandages came off.
I asked my dr if I should use any lotion or cream, and she told me to use nothing on the scar.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] My solo odyssey to recovery
    20230421_151907.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 64
Hello all
I had TKR 10 days ago. For the first 6 days I had a lady friend helping me.
Now I am by myself and is tough. I find myself at times very sad and crying.
My ex and my daugher who is 16 don't even call me to see how I am. My daughter just asks for money.
I am figuring alone, I had already 4 PT sessions and yesterday I was able to try to walk with one crutch. But is tough to do everything on my own.
What makes me sad is that after surgery my urination is more often, a bit weak stream and not voiding completely.
I stopped them opiods 2 days ago, my new urologist thinks is BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia) but I had a rectal exam and cystoscopy in January with a different urologist and it wasn't bad, a bit enlarged prostate.
My new urologist thinks is just a coincidence thay it happens after my TKR, but I hope it will go away in a few weeks, being just a side effect of general anesthesia.
0
PS . My only loyal companion is my 2 year black cat, Salem!
I WISH you all speedy recovery.
Vinny
With respect to enlarged prostate and a weak flow, a friend of mine gave me weeks supply of Flomax and it is incredible. Felt 40 again and not 75. No side effects that I’m aware of. Have an appt with my PCP to get a prescription!
 
I asked my dr if I should use any lotion or cream, and she told me to use nothing on the scar
Did she tell you it will be okay once it's completely healed?

Sometimes the skin around your incision becomes dry and itchy while healing. Although it is okay to put lotion or cream on the surrounding skin if it is uncomfortable, you should not apply anything close to or on the stitches or incision without the approval of your surgeon. It normally takes four to six weeks for the incision to fully heal and close. You don't want to risk infection by applying a product near an open area before that time. Some of the more common creams and lotions used on a healed incision are Bio-Oil, Vitamin E Oil, E45 Cream, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E, and Coconut Oil.

The one exception to the guidance in regard to applying products topically over your incision is a product called ACTIVE AntiMicrobial Hydrogel Spray. This product contains hypochlorous (HOCL), a compound made naturally by your body to promote healing. It can be applied to your incision at any point during recovery - it's a germ fighter as well as a healing and moisturizing agent. Discuss its use with your surgeon before using it. You will find a link at the top right of the page in a sidebar ad you can click on.

Have a great weekend, Vinny! I know you can't do much yet, but let's just hope for pain free. :yes:
 
Hello all
I had TKR 10 days ago. For the first 6 days I had a lady friend helping me.
Now I am by myself and is tough. I find myself at times very sad and crying.
My ex and my daugher who is 16 don't even call me to see how I am. My daughter just asks for money.
I am figuring alone, I had already 4 PT sessions and yesterday I was able to try to walk with one crutch. But is tough to do everything on my own.
What makes me sad is that after surgery my urination is more often, a bit weak stream and not voiding completely.
I stopped them opiods 2 days ago, my new urologist thinks is BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia) but I had a rectal exam and cystoscopy in January with a different urologist and it wasn't bad, a bit enlarged prostate.
My new urologist thinks is just a coincidence thay it happens after my TKR, but I hope it will go away in a few weeks, being just a side effect of general anesthesia.
0
PS . My only loyal companion is my 2 year black cat, Salem!
I WISH you all speedy recovery.
Vinny
With respect to enlarged prostate and a weak flow, a friend of mine gave me weeks supply of Flomax and it is incredible. Felt 40 again and not 75. No side effects that I’m aware of. Have an appt with my PCP to get a prescription!
He did prescribe flomax
Didn't pick it up yet. > I was reluctant to use it.
 
@Layla
"you should not apply anything close to or on the stitches or incision without the approval of your surgeon. "
That's correct!
 
When you all transition from walker to one crutch? Also please post your age!
I am 11 days post op and my PT who come to my house transition me to one crutch walk.
I am still using the walker quite a bit, but I also walk witb one crutch.
I never used crutches, thankfully! I’m a klutz and I’d probably have broken something! I have no idea when I went from the walker to a cane, sorry.

Marie
 
When did you guys quit the opioids?
I’m one of the rare people who had no post op pain. I came home with Dilaudid after both….took a few with the first one because you can’t have a knee replacement without pain, right? I threw those out when I had knee replacement #2 a year ago.

Marie
 
When I thought I was making great progress, walking with one crutch after 2 weeks, today I had a setback. My left side of the kneez towards the shin started to hurt, and make it harder to walk.

I believe it was because one of my exercises- while holding one hand on a table next to me, I was getting up and down from a chair. A tough exercise.
Is it normal to have up and downs? It is frustrating!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom