Guest viewing is limited

TKR My solo odyssey to recovery

When you all transition from walker to one crutch? Also please post your age!
I am 11 days post op and my PT who come to my house transition me to one crutch walk.
I am still using the walker quite a bit, but I also walk witb one crutch.
 
I never used crutches. When I felt ready to stop using the walker, I used a cane. Don’t switch to a crutch or cane until you feel ready to give up the walker.

If you look to the right side of each post, you’ll see information about the person posting, under their photo. Their age is listed there. If you are using your phone here, and don‘t see that information, rotate your phone and then you should see it.
 
When did you guys quit the opioids?
 
Last edited:
Stopping the opioids is very individual. Some stop after only a few days, some stop after weeks. I stopped mine at 11 days post op, not because I didn’t need them, but because I thought they were causing my blurry vision. I didn’t feel the dilaudid I was taking was helping the pain anyway.
 
My surgeon discharged me with compression socks and told me to wear those a few weeks.
They are really tight and hurt my calves, so I stopped wearing them after a week.
Do you guys wear those?
 
I took my dilaudid for at least 3 weeks. I stopped when I ran out and at that time i stopped PT. It hurt too much. I did not wear compression socks.
 
There are lots of opinions on compression socks, not all surgeons require them. Ones that are too tight are not helpful. Since you’re not wearing them, just be sure to do gentle ankle pumps and short walks around the house somewhat frequently. Also, elevate frequently, to help the swelling go down. You can do gentle ankle pumps while elevating.
 
I am just wondering if anyone else is by himself/ herself without any help around the house.
For the first week I had a lady friend helping me, but now, I am by myself. It ain't easy ;(
 
When you all transition from walker to one crutch?
I never had a walker. Just given two crutches. I switched to one crutch indoors after a couple of weeks and to one crutch outside maybe a couple of weeks later. I stayed using a crutch outside until about 3 months and then switched to a foldable stick. I still use that at almost 6 months for travelling on bus/ train/ Airport.
 
We have quite a few members who recover while living alone.

Here is a thread for those living alone. It was started a long time ago but will still have helpful tips. There are recent posts at the end.

 
Hello Vinny :wave: Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery! Thanks for joining us.
I am sorry you're feeling down at times, please understand that it's normal. You are likely feeling dependent on others, dealing with discomfort / pain, boredom and feeling vulnerable. If you're feeling neglected by your daughter, consider phoning a friend or another relative. I am sure someone will enjoying visiting with you over the phone, or stopping by if you extend the invitation.

Hopefully the urinary retention is a result of the opioids or anesthetics and will regulate soon.
When you all transition from walker to one crutch?
This will vary from person to person. Like you, I was eleven days post op when I began transitioning to a cane from the walker. Some use a walker for a lot longer and there is no shame since we come to joint replacement in different conditions, many way worse than others. You will know when the time is right, don't allow anyone to push you if you're not feeling comfortable, or ready.

When did you guys quit the opioids
I only took three or four tabs and was done on Day Three, mainly because I didn't like the way it made me feel.
I did well with Extra Strength Tylenol and pretty much constant icing. :ice:

As far as the compression socks go, many do wear them, but it does seem they are prescribing them less and less these days. Possibly you need a larger size? You may want to check with your surgeon's office to be sure he is okay with you not using them. If you're staying reasonably mobile you'll likely be okay without them. Read the Activity Progression for TKR, under No. 5 to get an idea of the activity you can safely engage in at this point of the healing process.

Possibly you can arrange for your lady friend, other friends / family, or your daughter to stop over for coffee and dessert for an hour or two on different days so you don't feel as lonely. If that's not a possibility, try to occupy your mind to the best of your ability, it will help with the blues. Watch tv or a Netflix series, play online games, read a book, plan a vacation for when you're feeling up to it, text or email friends, see if someone can take you for a short car ride, listen to uplifting music, or come here and update your thread! you can always visit our Social Room for some entertainment. Here is a link - Social Room

I will also leave a link on how to use the forum in case you have questions - How To Use This Forum

Wishing you lots of comfort as you continue healing. A peaceful evening to you and your fur buddy Salem! :kitty:
 
I never had to wear compression hose, even after 12 knee surgeries. I think if your doctor knows you are pretty active, he might not prescribe them. That is one of the things that doctors don't agree on, whether to wear them or not.

I am just wondering if anyone else is by himself/ herself without any help around the house.
I was alone most of the time after my first 3 days and had to take care of myself, my yard, my house, and my cats. Because of these necessary activities I took no PT or did any exercises. These natural movements rehabbed me just fine. You need to learn to pace yourself. When you have to get up to do something, make it a trip that counts. Grab everything you need at one time. I have a rolling walker that has a seat on it which ended up being my rolling table with my food, drinks, meds, etc. Always have your phone with you just in case you need some help. Be as safe and as careful as you can. You do not want to fall.

Do you have friends or church members you can call for help? How about neighborhood kids that would like to earn a couple of bucks? I had food delivered that was microwaveable, so that was easy. During the first couple of showers, I had a friend come and sit just in case I needed help getting out of the tub.

Actually, recovering alone isn't that bad. You just have to do what you have to do and there is no time limit at all. If you want to get up and eat at 3am or 3pm, or sleep at 11am or 11pm, there is no one around for you to disturb or to tell you what you 'should' be doing. Listen to your knee and if it fusses, back off and rest, ice and elevate as much as you can.
 
Is the ACL removed during the surgery?
Update: I just saw an email from my surgeon- it was removed.
I read that some school of thought think that ACL woul be better not to be removed as far a knee stability goes.
Any other opinions?
 
Last edited:
Hi there, hope you're having a good day!
This is what I read, you may have also.

Traditionally, surgery for total knee replacement involved removal of the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) even if it was healthy. However, due to the loss of the ACL, some patients experience knee instability. ACL preserving during surgery can improve knee function and strength after total knee replacement.
ACL Preservation Knee Surgery is relatively new and little long-term research is available. Some evidence shows little or no difference while other reports indicate patients are very satisfied with the “feel” of the new knee. Patients who want to continue activities that require twisting, bending and sudden stops such as in tennis and skiing might prefer the ACL preservation surgery.
The advantages of ACL preservation include:
Good range of motion
Better functioning of the implant
Prolongs the life of the implant
Gives a natural feel to the knee

Whether your surgeon uses ACL Preservation surgery, or not, joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevalent surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before offering an increase in the likelihood you’ll never have to experience this procedure again.

A great rest of the week to you!
@Vioryny
 
Hang in there Vinny! I am watching your progress and totally feel for you not having someone to help. This is a debilitating surgery but you will get through it! You are still so early in the recovery just take it easy and heal up! Oh as far as compression socks: I did not like them either so I just wrap an ace bandage around my knee and it works 2 ways - keeps the swelling down and it provides a bit of support if wrapped correctly.
 
@Vioryny ice for 45-60 minutes per session several times per day. Always put a cloth between your skin and the ice source. You will find this decreases the swelling and helps you increase your range of motion

Hang in there Vinny! I am watching your progress and totally feel for you not having someone to help. This is a debilitating surgery but you will get through it! You are still so early in the recovery just take it easy and heal up! Oh as far as compression socks: I did not like them either so I just wrap an ace bandage around my knee and it works 2 ways - keeps the swelling down and it provides a bit of support if wrapped correctly.
Thank you! From what I was told before, I thought would've benn easier, but it aint...
 
@Layla
Looking on the bright side, the fact that we dont have ACL anymore, we dont have to worry tearing the ACL amymore. But, honestly, I wish my ACL was preserved.
I don't think, had I known that.before, that my surgeon would ve saved my ACL had I told him !
I guess it's standard procedure.
 
Try not to dwell on it, given the procedure is relatively new with little long term research available, take comfort that you're in good company with the multitude going before you that are enjoying a fulfilling life and back to all they love...minus their ACL. Your future looks bright! :SUNsmile:
@Vioryny
 
Is the ACL removed during the surgery?
Update: I just saw an email from my surgeon- it was removed.
Mine was not removed. I guess it depends on the knee and the doctor's choice. I really don't think it makes a big difference either way.
 
I need some advice please!
I am having a hard time sleeping as my knee usually hurts more at night time.
I try to sleep on one side with a pillow under my knee but is tough. I can't really sleep on my back. I know is more pressure when I sleep on my side. I am 13 days post-op. During the day pain isn't bad, but at night time is worse.
 
Back
Top Bottom