Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Shiny Happy New Knees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Morgaine How are things going for you hope you are doing great. Today we are planning to go to see the Percy Jackson movie about the Sea of the Monsters really enjoyed the first one. I am not going to have my leg massage this week I have really found this to be the best thing that they have tried for my flex. The massage guy said that he thinks it would be ok to try every other week worried it is becoming too expensive for us and thinks maybe that he has managed to get the most he can for me. Unlike the pt this has been a positive experience don't worry about going never pushed to pain and leave feeling like things are fine. I will miss it actually look forward to going have seen so much improvement mentally and physically. How is your leg doing and how are you. Hope all is well Holly:yay:
 
Hi Morgaine Hope you are well and that you have a great weekend weather here really sunny starting to get much cooler but comfortable looking like fall hope summer is not ready to leave soon it has been beautiful. Have a great weekend Holly
 
I haven't been on much, just getting caught up on a few threads. Waves wildly at Holly lavender hope your weekend is great.
Last week, started going to the gym. Ok, I admit it, I HATE going to the gym. Yes, I work at my own pace, but then these cute little things (was I ever that young?) come in and do all these exercises without even breathing hard or breaking into a sweat, while this fat lady sweats and sounds like a freight train! I can't get on their bike, because the pedals are too high (so glad I have floor pedals and a bike at home), the treadmill moves faster than I can walk, so I just walk around the gym for my walking. Am still using a quad cane so I don't duck walk. Sigh. Everything I do at the gym, I can do at home.
My OS gave me Lorcet 7.5 so I could stepdown from the Lorcet 10's. Switched to those, for a couple days then stopped. Still taking ibuprofen/tylenol as necessary. I really want to be allowed to drive again. My hubby is probably going to need eye surgery within the month, so the driving will all be onto me.The last three nights, I have spent trying to get comfy, very little sleep, and knees that ache. Especially my right knee, which I would think would be behaving much better by now. It surprises me that it feels worse than my left knee most of the time. Like a tight band around the knee itself. Yup, normal and like everything, this too will pass.
Still glad I did this. Still wish my recovery would hurry up.
Morgaine
 
I want my Lorcet! :tantrum: But know that I have to let it go. Seems though that I spent half the night crying and the other half trying to get comfy so I wouldn't cry. This far out on my surgeries, I keep trying to tell myself I don't need it. Hubby had double corneal transplants about 30 years ago and is again facing major eye surgery to prevent blindness. I HAVE to get better so I can drive again.
Doesn't stop me from crying and whining about it though.

Morgaine
 
Aw, I just wanted to offer sympathy, you sound so sad. My TKR was 30 May so only 2 days behind you, but I've only had one done, although this week I had a pacemaker put in so I have discomfort there and have to sleep on my back again and wear support at night being rather large up top.
I haven't been in a gym since I left school and to be honest never want to go in one again so you are a brave lady and well done for trying.
I had to go on a treadmill for a heart test.....argh!! I turned all dizzy and felt like falling off!!
Hugs,
Sue.:console2:
 
Thank you Sue Dabber I just read through your thread. My goodness, here I am whining about things, and you have had to go through much more, as have many others on here. It just reminds me of what my Mama used to say "Count your blessings"
Yes, I am sad, I hurt, which makes me cry. I am concerned that my husband is going to lose his eyesight again, which makes me very sad.
Several years ago, before my knees got so bad that I couldn't walk, I had to have a heart stress test on the treadmill. My heart was fine, but I too felt like I was going to fall off that thing, and my knees hurt for two days after.
One advantage to going to the gym is when I am waiting for hubby to get done, I sit where I can watch the men working out. Some of them are well worth watching. Hey, I am fat, out of shape, have bad (recovering) knees, feel old, but I ain't dead and there is nothing wrong with my eyes!

Morgaine
 
No, I'm not bad at all. My knee is going according to plan, we're only 11 weeks aren't we. Eyes are so very precious. I don't drive so I'm thankful my husband can ferry me about. My pacemaker isn't as crucial as it is for some people, it's to make me less tired and prevent blackouts or drop attacks. I have friends in far worse health than I.
Enjoy the sights of the gym!! have you been to France.....oh the firemen!!
Sue.
 
Sue, yup about 11 weeks. Seems like forever, doesn't it? and we have a long way to go it seems. :groan:
I haven't been to France, but my hubby was a volunteer fireman and I think he is ooh-la-la!!! Now when I was being transported from the hospital to the rehab after my surgery, the paramedics were delicious looking. Of course when I got the bill, I told hubby that at that price, I should have been allowed to KEEP them! :heehee:
And thanks for making me smile and get off my pity pot.

Morgaine
 
It does seem forever. I looked at a recipe I've been wanting to cook for ages and decided if i tried it, it would have to be started around mid-day, and it wasn't at all complicated, just that by evening I'm well past doing anything other than sitting.

Talking of sitting.....we don't have a pity pot here in the UK, I had to look it up, yep it meant what I thought it must!! We have a pity party, I don't think you actually invite anyone, it's just that you say, "I'm having a pity party," and everyone sends you a virtual hug and kind words.

So have a UK pity party, (whilst thinking of firemen and paramedics and nice fit husbands!)

Sue :friends: :cheers: :giggle:
 
Hi Morgaine Hope you can drive again soon it made so much difference when I could do it. Gets you out and away something different to think about and sorry to hear that your husband is having difficulties with his eye. I wish you lots good stuff and hope that your leg stops giving you this pain. Holly
 
There has got to be something I can take to help with the night pain, but still allow me to drive during the day. :boohoo: Calling my Dr in the morning.
 
That sounds like a good plan. I'm having a bad day and hardly slept either but don't have your need to drive. One step forwards and two backwards is how it seems some days. It is difficult to know what to say to people who cheerily ask how it's all going.
You really have been all year in this difficult place haven't you, hugs.
Sue.
 
Morgaine, I've still ready through your thread but your recovery is an inspiration to me. I came across it while researching ways to measure ROM. I too ditched my P/T (7 weeks out) after I ran out of money and he pushed my knee to the point of mega-pain and held it down with his foot to measure it. :hissy: Okay mister, that makes a lot of sense, since the minute you let it go my leg is gonna slide down in pain and swell up. kinda like when we squeeze into a pair of jeans, the minute we take them off, Voila :tada: it's the Blob. lol He's a cool guy, but was probably nervous because I lost ROM since my last appointment. That was my fault for overdoing it a couple of days before.. but I was doing something fun. :egypdance: I feel like my ROM has increased since my last session. I've been following the Bonesmart mantra, doing my exercises and listening to my knees.

I had my right knee done on 6/18/13 and I'm doing the left on 9/18/13. Yikes! :yikes: I'm actually excite because despite all the pain and emotional drama, my surgical knee is stronger than my other one.

You have definitely had your turn on the merry-go-rounds and the roller coaster! :scare: Glad to hear things are improving and you kept your sense of humor. I couldn't do this without it. :heehee:

Hubby asked when I think I am going to feel recovered enough to do some ironing. I tell him that when I feel well enough I will. I am thinking maybe sometime in 2034?
Loving this! :loll:Yep, like the 5th day of never. :o)


One advantage to going to the gym is when I am waiting for hubby to get done, I sit where I can watch the men working out. Some of them are well worth watching. Hey, I am fat, out of shape, have bad (recovering) knees, feel old, but I ain't dead and there is nothing wrong with my eyes!

You are too funny! Nothing wrong with my eyes neither. :wink:



Wishing you well on your continued recovery. :cheers:
 
Hi Holly lavender, Sue Dabber, Bionic woman2 and everyone else. Thanks for listening to my whining :cry: when I do, for laughing at my dumb jokes :snork: and just in general being somewhere I can go to know I am not alone.
Ok, called my regular Dr and he agreed that my daytime pain control is good, but I did still need something for night. He then gave me another prescription for Acetaminophen butalbital 650-50. (Bu-Pap) I had used it before but it had alower dose of Acetaminophen than this new prescription. Sooooooo Monday night, I took one before bed and SLEPT for 7 hours! :yay: So with my ibuprofen/Acetaminophen schedule during the day and the Bu-Pap, I end up taking 1,200 mgs of ibuprofen, 2,600 mgs of Acetaminophen, and 50 mg of butalbital, during a 24 hour period, and it seems to be working!

And today I DROVE!!!! It was only about 20 miles in my small town, but it felt good! (for those who don't know, before I reached the point of not being able to walk, I drove an 18-wheeler cross-country, I miss driving).

Yes, I cry whine and complain on the bad days, but the good days make me want to jump :dancy: for joy.

Morgaine
 
YAAAAAAAY! For driving today. :yay: I literally COL (clapped out loud!) I would give you a standing ovation, but I'm icing and elevating right now. :loll:

Way to go! 20 miles would set me back right about now, so you GO GIRL! :egypdance:
 
:happydance: Hi Morgaine Wow what wonderful news driving again it sure makes you feel great when you can get out on your own. I think this will make so much difference for you couldn't believe it the day I asked about driving and my surgeon said sure you can it is on your to do list now felt like I was floating on air. You drove an eighteen wheeler wow that must have taken a lot of skill always amazed how truck drivers maneuvre those large vehicles. I am happy things are looking so much brighter for you guess the bad days make us realize just how great the good days are. I am thinking we are over the worst now and that things will get better and better each day. I took my Mom out for lunch today picked up a few groceries at little store nearby and realized that I had left my cane in the car my husband paniced a bit worried that I might fall very caring with me but my Mom made me feel nice said oh my goodness you are doing good little things mean so much . Wishing you lots of happy miles as you roll along in your car. All the best wishes for you Morgaine have a great week. Holly :dancy: :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
Morgaine :SUNsmile: Are you alright hope everything is ok noticed that you have not posted for a little bit and worried that something is wrong hope everything is ok wishing you the best Holly
 
Good morning Holly lavender First everything is great. Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I am just so happy that I can do things again, that I haven't been online much. We did find out my husband doesn't have to have eye surgery yet, but probably will next year. I go to the gym three times a week (an hour drive round trip), where I am pushing myself just enough, but not to do too much. I am amazed at the progress I seem to be making. I can even go up a flght of stairs two stepped, instead of one at a time, although down is still one-stepped, but I am working on that. Some of my time has been spent visiting and playing with my grandchildren, which has been difficult because all I could do before was to sit, but now I can get up, move and walk. I have been doing some gardening (my gardens are a mess, the grass has taken over). This past week I repaired my chicken brooder (all by myself!) and it now has 26 baby keets (guinea fowl) in it. They are four days old. I go out there at least four times a day, plus covering them at night and uncovering them in the morning. That is something I will have to do for about the next three weeks. But they are so adorable! Next Saturday, I am having a new chicken pen built, which of course I will have to supervise, because it has to be just like I want it!
I still take the Ibuprofen/tylenol cocktail so I take something every three hours, don't ice as much as I used to though, because my knees don't bother me. I still have limits, but realize that and accept it. Last night, I even tried to do some dancing, although the knees said not yet. I went through the surgery, made it to the other side and have found that I can LIVE again. It is wonderful.
How are you doing?

Morgaine
 
Hi Morgain:flwrysmile: really good to hear that you are doing so wonderfully and that things are getting easier back to normal. I have not been writing as much either as my leg is managing well and I am also just trying to get back to normal and not concentrating on my leg and memories of the surgery as much. We have sure had a rollercoaster ride during the past months but all is going well and actually happy with my knee it is doing a great job medical assessment is that my bend is at the level it will stay around 90 degrees and I am happy with that very little pain now nice to have that change. Your 26 little ones sound really cute and hope you have fun getting them settled into their new pen when time. Good to have time with your grandchildren. I am worried as my husband is now going to have more tests. It seems that sometime one thing gets better and something takes its place. We stick together and support each other and just as you and your husband whatever he needs I will be there for him. I am really happy to hear from you and as I said have slowed down writing for a while till things get a little calmer. Wishing you the best and nice to hear you are ok Holly:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom