Guest viewing is limited

THR My second hip.... Dilly Dilly!

@MajorHeidi
I don't know about withdrawal symptoms, could be?
I might start with taking your temp a few times today just to make sure you are not running a low grade fever? Can sometimes manifest as chills? Are you feeling well otherwise?

Also since my surgery I have had an increase in menopausal symptoms, as if that were possible!! Hot flashes have intensified and accompanied by more chill flashes than I experiences prior.
Might be due to my almost constant icing? If I'm not up walking around I am icing and elevated.

I have read on BS the inflammation can be quite involved and can migrate down the leg. So I would suspect you fall into the range of whatever normal is after one of these surgeries. Are you keeping up with elevation and icing?
If you do have a fever, swelling increases more and incision becomes even more tender, call your OS to be on safe side.

I hope you warm up soon, maybe hot shower? And the Tylenol keeps you comfortable and still able to move.
 
Sorry you are cold as icing is really what you need :sigh:
Hang in their Heidi..that poor leg has had alot of trauma...:ice:
 
Hi Claire :hi:
Happy One Week Anniversary!
Just catching up on your thread. Sure hope you're feeling better since you last posted.
The swelling sounds completely normal. Feeling cold constantly would be irritating.
Hoping you found relief.
Wishing you a great week as you continue healing.
@MajorHeidi
 
Having a good day today! (day 4 without narcotics).
I am back to using the ice, and did notice this morning that my operated leg is getting closer
in size to the other one.
I went for an outdoor walk a few minutes ago, down the street to the cul-de-sac and back; maybe 500 steps.
Feel good! :ice:
Thanks @Layla for checking in; and the advice from @Mojo333 @Jackie222 @BeBe and others.
I appreciate your support!
 
Wonderful update....Go Claire!
You're doing well. Venturing out on walks, no longer in need of the heavy narcotics, swelling decreasing.
Wishing you a great week of healing!
@MajorHeidi
 
Hello @MajorHeidi,
I've never posted on your thread(s) but read them with interest. Congratulations for the 2nd hip op success and that you were able to go home so soon. What made you choose this interesting alias (Major Heidi)?.
I feel for you when you say you're constantly cold. I hate these shivers - when wrapping up warm doesn't help. My idea is it could be low heart rate and trouble with the blood circulation - in that case (which is especially true of me), it' mainly the hands that are cold (and occasionally numb) and I also get this shivering feeling around my legs - recently, though, also my thighs. A doctor said that's a sign of low heart rate. The only thing that remedies that situation is exercise/movement/physical work. But when you're in recovery, of course, you have to rest. I shiver more or less throughout the whole winter, but luckily - summer's coming :flwrysmile::). I wish you a brilliant recovery and lots of sunshine and warm weather in spring and summer - Constanze
 
Better and better...:egypdance:
Really early days but glad you are feeling better!
Hope your day is sweet.:SUNsmile:
 
Hi MajorHeidi,

Sounds like your 2nd hip (Dilly Dilly) is coming along pretty well. I too had a discrepancy in my leg lengths after a TKR in 2015 until my THR this year. I am curious, do your hips feel kind of loose like they are tying to re calibrate for the change?

I was actually pulled to your thread by the fact that you were on Levaquin during your first hip. I am curious if you had any sensitivities to it. I was just put on it for UTI/Kidney infection two days ago and have been having strange muscle and and joint pains and sensations.

If you still have swelling lymph massage may also help.
I hope your recovery continues on a smooth path. :flwrysmile:

ps, love your dogs are they Weimaraners? They are beautiful!
 
Hey Major, do you remember me? This is my anniversary month of having both hips replaced in 2014!! I see you went in for your second one, how are you doing? All is well here, what hips I always say, walk a mile everyday, and I just turned on the site to see if anyone was around that I knew in 2014 and here you are, how about that!
 
@Constanze Hi there, and thanks for sharing your thoughts above.
My avatar name Major Heidi is for my two weimariners Major and Heidi.
They are the sweetest!

I am still cold.....
Brrrr.
Interesting about the low heart rate. I have a LOW heart rate.
It is usually in the high 50s, though after the surgery it has been in the real low 60's.
I walk a lot; but think it is really more due to the blood pressure med that I take: Atenolol.
This makes sense to me. Thanks for bringing it up!
 
@MyJampa : Hi there!
Yes, Major and Heidi are weims. You look like you have poodles.
Dog people are good people. :dogsniff: So are cat people. LOL :kitty:

About Levaquin, it had always worked well for me in the past when I would
get bronchitis. It did effect my father negatively, though, causing him to have
some odd ankle/heel issue that led to severe muscle impact. It may not be
good for everyone. I hope you do well with it....

On the Leg Length Descrepancy relief, I am so happy about that!
My two legs are now even again after four years of wearing a shim in all my shoes. :catdance:
My DH noticed that my hips are even at the waist when I take steps now.
I am using a cane now, and that feels good. When I forget the cane, I notice
that I will need more time with the cane to work out the new gait.
But, that's ok...
How are you doing with the change after your hip? Does it feel good?
 
Hey Major, do you remember me? This is my anniversary month of having both hips replaced in 2014!! I see you went in for your second one, how are you doing? All is well here, what hips I always say, walk a mile everyday, and I just turned on the site to see if anyone was around that I knew in 2014 and here you are, how about that!

Hi @waterman1 Great to hear from you again! Yes I remember you and our chats!
Glad you are doing so well.
I am going for my two week checkup tomorrow; I walked two miles today!
It was split up into two walks though. :friends:
 
You walked two, one mile walks two weeks after surgery! :wowspring:
Hope you were feeling well the next day @MajorHeidi
Wondering how your two week checkup went on Friday? Hope all is well!
Best wishes for a great week as you continue recovery.
 
Hi @Layla Thanks for checking in with me.
My 2 week checkup went well; PA said I am doing 'fantastic'. :happydance:
I am no longer using the cane.
Yesterday, I walked two 1.25 mile walks; without the cane this time.
Iced upon return.
All in all, doing just great!

I hope everyone is doing well, and having a nice Sunday. :flwrysmile:
 
@MajorHeidi Hi, I get your name now.(your boys) Actually my bonesmart name came from a past dog I had (a sweet little Tibetian Terrier named Jampa)

I can certainly tell that my legs have changed length. Right after surgery My new hip leg felt longer. I was told by my OS and PT not to worry that the hip would settle, and the things would change with the swelling going down also. I am now 7 weeks out and my legs feel almost even. The weird thing that I have felt from the leg length discrepancy is the ligament/tendons in my hips feel a bit loose, like they are trying to readjust. That feeling gets a bit uncomfortable as I try to stretch out my walks and is what makes me stop.
Currently my walks have been curtailed by a 17+ inch record April Snow fall...:snow plough: Changing my winter icon for something with no snow, hoping to sway mother nature...:)

Wish the best for your new hip, I am so jealous of your walk. I can do about 1/4 mile. (but we are all snow flakes)

How have your dogs been with your surgery. I have two standard poodles and they have been a little protective, they have a hard time going to far from the house.
 
Hi @MyJampa ! Another dog name... :dogwalk:
I'm glad you switched your antibiotic away from levaquin; and the new one sounds like the right fit.

It's cold here in Virginia (again) after an 80 degree Friday. Saw some snowflakes, but nothing like
what I have been hearing about like your record snowfall. Ugh.....

I went for one walk today, and decided it was too much to put on gloves and the earmuffs again.
So I spent the afternoon with the fireplace on, reading Alex Guarnascelli's "Old-School Comfort Food Cookbook".
Yumm.

I hope we all get better weather soon! :SUNsmile:
 
I have been off oxycodone for 48 hours plus.....
Last night into right now I have the experience of 'I cannot get warm no matter how many things I cover myself with".
I think this may be something like light withdrawal symptoms?
I am taking 6 500 mg tylenol per day and it seems to be ok in that regard.
Still have profound inflammation from knee to thigh top, as well as most of the pain
being adjacent or below the incision.
Is this normal or ok?

Oxy sometimes makes you feel cold. It’s a side effect
 
Hi @MajorHeidi .....just been catching up with your thread, you're making such great progress! I'm glad your LL problem has been sorted....it's so encouraging to be able to see an actual improvement. Are your 2 gorgeous dogs accompanying you on your walks? I haven't tried taking mine out yet, thought I'd better wait until I can manage without a cane, otherwise they're bound to hogtie me :umm: Hope you manage to warm up....I've just had my flu jab and that's got me feeling a bit shivery and slightly off, but at least our weather isn't quite as murky as I see on the weather reports for the US!
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom