TKR My post-op thread

@kmann ia the sleeve comfirtable?

How many hours can you wear
It for?
I like you swell when I walk a little
 
I wear it all day, doesnt bother me at all...I actually feel better with it on!!!
 
@kmann thanks I will order that one and see how it works
Where does the swelling go?
 
It just keeps it from developing I guess....I put on in am...still swells a little under compression sleeve...but NOTHING like without it
 
I guess we both have the swelling blues!

Maybe we could wish it away with the rain song!
 
Well my two weeks of half days is over, back to 8 hours a day tomorrow. Half days went pretty well, still struggle with a lot of swelling at the end of the day, so I'm sure these eight hour days are going to be rough. I think if I could get the swelling under control I would be alright. I think some of us just have swelling worse than others. I've been wearing a compression sleeve over my knee. That does make it feel better, but by the end of even a four hour work day the knee is so swollen it feels like its going to bust right out of the compression sleeve. I'll be glad to get through all of this rough stuff and on with life, hopefully I don't have swelling problems forever. Anyone ever tried lymphatic drainage massage, not sure if that would be beneficial for me or not
 
@kmann the sleeves wear also just pushes the fluid elsewhere. But when on feels better

I have been working 8 hours it more for 6 weeks now and the swelling is slightly down. It is there even after an hour at work
 
@kmann someone here did a lymphatic massage, but I don't remember who. Maybe it was @kansasteacher ?
 
I just got home from having a massage and she did some lymph work and some fascia work on my knee. Seems the swelling is better now and overall I feel very good. My second massage since surgery 10 weeks ago today.
 
@Wanttobebiking thanks for the info, I have had 1 massage since surgery (14 weeks ago) but it was just a normal massage. There is a therepist here in town that does lymphatic drainage and myofacial...think Im gonna try her out
 
Let me know how it goes. Depending on my progression I might get a more targeted treatment if need be. I am now in the "be really really nice to me" phase with massage, first post-op pedicure, snd topical essential oils, etc. Will have to get a second job.:heehee:
 
kmann - I had lymphatic drainage massage with cups at about 10 weeks. It felt good while she was doing it and that night, but I didn't notice any longer term difference. I'm at almost 13 weeks and still have swelling and soreness. Of course, I didn't go back for repeated treatments and that's where it could make a real difference. I just don't want to spend the money on that. I'm also back at work full time beginning this week.
 
Well, Im gonna try it and see....I have very significant swelling...which gets really bad after being on it for even short amount of time...I wear a compression sleeve over my knee...but it gets soooo swollen under the compression sleeve...it feels like Im going to "blow out the sleeve"...LOL.......My therepist says the swelling is excessive, go back to OS in mid October, so will address it with him then also. If I could get swelling to subside..Id be great!!!!
 
Have you tried aleve? I've found it helps with the swelling. I have swelling even if I stand just for a few minutes like you
I got the compression sleeve and it feels good when on but swelling returns when off
Also it feels strange in back of knee
 
Yeah...I take aleve frequently...doesnt seem to doing anything for my swelling though. I had been completely off the narcotics...but now this week back to full time work....I have been taking a percocet at bed time.
 
How is work treating your knee

I still don't sleep more than 2 hours at a time but do t know why. Just wake up and turn over and back for another hour
 
It of course swells terribly...pain is pretty well all gone, but the swelling gets to me. You know the drill..lots of pressure, stiffness, which makes it hard to bend, so I walk strange, then everything else starts to hurt. Struggling with some nasty plantar fasciitis in opposite foot right now. Have had it many times before..had several steroid injections, hoping to avoid that, but might have to!!
 
@kmann i know the feeling. Very strange and annoying. It's a catch 22 do too much and it swells. Do too little and its stiff
Patience is still the key
 
Oh, @kmann i know how you feel, except I have plantar fasciitis in my TKR foot. You, however will be having trouble walking on both sides, one due to PF and the other due to TKR. It's so frustrating. I did a lot of walking yesterday and my heel is so painful, I'm icing it now.
 
Yeah when it flared up about a week ago I was like "NO....not after everything else now this"...I should just get a steroid injection...have had many over the years for it between both heels...but the last one I had was by far the worst...and hurt very bad....so Im a bit gun shy!!!! LOL, but it has always stopped the pain quickly!!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom