Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Newly Bionic Life

Well, @chicklet , since the part of California where I live has some of the tallest trees in the world, your metaphor was apt! And I'm pleased to say I appear NOT to have joined the ODIC yet. When I woke up this morning, the Knee was feeling so good I was out of bed and all the way into the bathroom before I even gave it a thought.

Now, however, is another story. I had a PT appt and no way to get there except driving myself - long story - but since I actually LIKE my therapist and feel that his massage actually is helpful, I wanted to keep it. Driving itself wasn't the issue. The problem was that I delayed taking my next dose of Oxycodone so I wouldn't be DUI. Ouch! I'm not going to make that mistake again.

I've been good the rest of the day, though, and it was lovely to come home and find that Amazon had delivered my Cryo-Cuff . . . so I've bern enjoying the lovely cold all afternoon.
 
I finally have a possible answer to what's going on with the numbness I mentioned last week. (This is the numb sensation I'm getting in my left foot that runs from the inside of the lower calf and wraps down around the instep to the outer ball of the foot.)
I was able to talk to the "nurse navigator" at the clinic - I think she fills a role similar to @Josephine here.

She checked the surgical notes in my chart, and explained that because my knees were so badly out of alignment to start it sounds as if one of the nerves running from behind the knee may have gotten stretched by the realignment of the leg. Since the sensation isn't constant, but rather comes and goes, it's very likely to resolve with time and healing. I'll just keep monitoring it for now and I'll bring it up with the OS when I see him in a few weeks.
 
Oh yeah, it is way to soon to go without your pain meds. Can you get someone to drive you next time? Yay on the ice machine! I think they are wonderful!
I used to measure my bend on the bathroom floor. When I sat on the potty I'd see how far I could slide my foot back. The next day or two I'd see if I could bend it a little more. It was a fun way to do it!
 
I measured my bend the same way too!! I started doing it while still in the hospital, sitting on the commode, lol!! I continued to do it that way at home too. Since sliding my foot back was one of my p/t exercises, I also did that while sitting on my borrowed commode at home, lol!!
 
Last edited:
Hi, @sistersinhim - I'm working on lining up a ride for my next appointment. I don't plan to drive again until I'm off my narcotics entirely and able to function just with Tylenol. And yes, the ice machine is wonderful. I've been enjoying it all afternoon!

And @KitKat64 I really understand now about daily activities being the best therapy!
 
@Josephine - Thanks for the explanation in response to my post to @AliK ! I don't want to derail her recovery thread, so I brought my comment/question about it back to my own thread - I hope that's ok.

I think either I'm confused by the terminology (very possible!) or someone on my care team may have used terminology differently from the way you're using it. And even if I'm a bit confused, this is exactly the sort of thing I really should have dug up prior to surgery. Normally I would have done more homework ahead of time but the past six months have been very traumatic and for some reason I dealt with all the external drama and let researching my own procedure fall to the bottom of my "to do" list.

[Bonesmart.org] My Newly Bionic Life


You posted the graphic above showing two types of incision - "quads sparing" and "quads snip".

The term "quad sparing" was used by my PT the other day (and it's used on the website for the institute where the surgery was performed), but I think what he was describing and illustrating on an anatomical diagram was the one shown here as the "quads snip", which goes between the quads and the IT. That also matches with what my OS said would be done; supposedly the quadriceps muscle and the tendon are not divided and the patella is not everted with this procedure. What I've been told by doctors and others I've spoken to is that this is not the way it's normally done over here. This hospital also uses a robotic system for placing and aligning the joints that is supposed to be very rare or possibly unique in the US - it may be more common in other places.

Before I talk with my OS again (at the six-week followup appointment) I want to know as much as possible about what they actually ended up doing during the surgery. When I saw him in the hospital he said "there was a lot of debris we had to clean up due to the extent of your knee damage", and I'm thinking that may have meant a change in their usual technique.

I'm off to continue reading my way through the Library articles - I just noticed that you've posted a new article on the Quads Cut that will probably either answer my questions or confuse me further - but I very much appreciate the information, either way.
 
Last edited:
I live in middle Tennesssee and had my robot assisted TKR done at Maury Regional Hospital. They’ve been using the Stryker robotic system there since last September. I’m all for more precision! I told my family I put off having surgery for so long (years!) because I was waiting on them to build the robot. (Yeah, they didn’t believe me either.) There are several clinics/hospitals in the Nashville area utilizing the robotic system, so I guess it’s becoming the norm around here.
 
which goes between the quads and the IT
Not possible. The ITB is too far over to be involved with the incision.
supposedly the quadriceps muscle and the tendon are not divided and the patella is not everted with this procedure.
Well, I've been scrubbing for these procedures for years and never seen the patella not everted. But on the other hand, never seen the 'quads snip' done either! Never even heard of it until I joint BoneSmart! viv la differance !!
This hospital also uses a robotic system for placing and aligning the joints that is supposed to be very rare or possibly unique in the US
How Odd. I had a lot of discussion with firms over the years and was given the impression that there are oodles of various types of robots in the US. Very few in the UK because our NHS can't afford them. However, don't be misled by the term 'robot' because these devices don't actually DO the surgery, they simply act as a guide to the surgeons to make sure they stay within certain parameters. I have it on good authority that a lot of surgeons turn them off during the surgery so they can do it free handed!
When I saw him in the hospital he said "there was a lot of debris we had to clean up due to the extent of your knee damage", and I'm thinking that may have meant a change in their usual technique.
I doubt it. That happens quite often for a variety of reasons.
 
My first tkr was "computer assisted"--there was some kind of guide attached to the leg. For my second tkr my doc didn't use it. I'm not sure why, but I got the impression he didn't think it was a better way to do things.
 
Well, today I am exactly four weeks post-surgery. I had my 3 week post-op check with my primary doc, not the OS, since the clinic is four hours away - so all she was really looking at was incisional healing, pain management, etc. All of that is great. For the past week I've been able to be almost entirely off narcotics; I just finished my bottle of Tramadol and I don't think I'm going to refill it since I still have Oxycodone left that I haven't been using - I can pull it out if anything happens, but right now Tylenol 3 - 4 times a day seems to be all I'm needing. I'm walking without a cane, although I do have a staff I take with me if I'm going to be out of the house any significant amount of distance (as much to help support my non-operated knee and keep it from having any problems.

I had an interesting convo with my PT yesterday. He told me that in 35 years of practice - focused exclusively on joint rehabilitation - he has never seen anyone come in pre-surgery with as restricted a ROM as I had! It was actually rather validating, because while I've known for decades I had "bad knees", I didn't really have any way to compare them to "normal". . . this was just how I lived. But what this does mean is that he's not trying to get me to reach some arbitrary goal like 130 because all his patients "should" have that level - he's hoping that I can get to 90 degrees before I see my OS next month because that would be a little better than the 87 degrees I had pre-surgery. Since I was at 77 yesterday, and I still have four weeks before I see the OS, I think it's achievable. My PT is planning to write a strong recommendation against MUA, because he believes that the adaptive shortening of my muscles and ligaments due to my knee malformation means that the MUA would be damaging rather than helpful. I agree entirely, and I'm planning to decline the MUA anyway, but I'd rather convince the surgeon why than have him think I'm being unreasonably stubborn, since I'm hoping to have the same doctor do my right knee next year.

I did make the trek down to visit my Mom last weekend for her 90th birthday. I wasn't sure whether or not I'd be up to it until a few days before, but by Thursday I was pretty sure I could handle it. My daughter went with me, and drove some of the way, but since I was only using Tylenol I actually got to drive more than I had planned. We stopped halfway for the night since it's a long distance (6 hours) and that was a good plan; the hotel had plenty of ice to apply as well. At Mom's, I spent most of the time in her recliner with my legs up while my sister played hostess. I do think I paid a price for the trip, as I've been very low-energy this entire week - sleeping more, not feeling as perky as I did last week - but the knee is doing great and overall I'm glad I went. I don't know how many more birthdays she'll have!

Finally, I'm starting back to work next week, but on a VERY limited schedule - 3 days a week, 4 hours a day, for the next month. Since I can prop up my leg and ice it at work without too much trouble, I think I'll be able to manage - then go home and nap! (I'm definitely not trying to be Wonder Woman.) Someone in another thread mentioned that at about this point - four weeks - a good rule of thumb is that for every hour "up" we should allow about two hours "down"; and that seems reasonable to me. On my work days that is ALL I'm doing, at least until I see how it goes the first week.

So overall - good recovery. I'm trying not to push myself too hard, and give myself LOTS of time and rest. It's a hard lesson to learn, but important. I'm a few years away from retirement, and I want to have an active life for many more years, so I need to make sure I do this right.
 
At my last PT visit, I asked about the possibility of going back to the gym - my intent was to find out whether it would be ok to do the upper body machines only, to help with some of the kinks I'm developing from sitting so much (nothing that would strain my new knee). He thought that given how well I'm doing, it would actually be a good thing for me to do some very gentle, low-stress leg work as well, and gave me guidelines to follow and "don't do anything that hurts!" (yay, him!). The exercises went well, even the leg ones - no pain, no swelling, just some good stretches and flexes - and my back feels significantly less achey for the first time in days.

But I nearly broke down in tears on one machine where my legs were extended in front of me - and for the first time in my life, I was really aware of the fact that my right (un-operated) leg was visibly bowed out at the knee . . . and my left (operated) leg was straight. I've never in my life been really aware of the fact that I had bowlegs. It bore home on me just how much adjustment this surgery actually accomplished, and how much trauma my knee and leg have gone through to make those changes.

The other thing I noticed is that my left leg is now noticeably longer than the right (non-op) leg, presumably due to the straightening. Has anyone else had something like this happen? If so, did the length disparity cause any issues while you were waiting for a second TKR?
 
Be careful with leg press and other leg work machines at the gym. My advice would be to avoid them altogether for another few months. Just for a few months, you can always use them later on. The goal for the first few months of recovery should be allowing the implant and surrounding tissues to heal. Bone takes a few months to heal and soft tissue also needs that time to get a good start on healing before being subjected to weights and resistance. Later on, those concerns no longer are cause for caution.

The leg length discrepancy is not unusual but would be a good question for your surgeon. Does he foresee correcting it with the next surgery? (Probably, but it would be a good thing to talk about.) Have you had any trouble walking since the surgery? Back or hip pain that could be due to the discrepancy? These could show up as you progress, but they might never appear. Some people have a slight leg length discrepancy, or even a major one, and never have trouble.

My father had bi-lateral replacements and he gained back an inch in height. His legs had been severely bowed. So yes, sometimes the legs change length a bit! Usually not that much, though.
 
Enjoy every move forward; there are many more to come. Sounds like you are taking exceptional care of your new knee and it will return the favor again and again. Much success in your recovery.
 
Thanks for the feedback, both of you. I plan on bringing the length discrepancy to the attention of my OS when I see him next, in about 3 weeks. In the meantime, my PT measured the length of both legs this morning and found about 3/8" difference - which is enough to potentially affect my gait, and my hips. For right now he's recommending a slight heel lift for my right side so I won't have as much tendency to "throw" my hips side to side as I walk.

I do plan to keep using the leg press, but VERY gently - without much weight for now. I'm using it as a way to get the knee flexing that a squat would produce without having to support my weight at the same time since that puts stress on my un-operated knee. I'm not actually trying to build strength yet and I won't for several more weeks.

The exciting news today, however, is that when he measured me I was at 90! This is the first time I've measured better than my pre-op ROM (85) and it's a very good sign for avoiding MUA. Well, actually it just means I'm probably going to have less argument with the OS about MUA; I'm not going to have it in any event. But I am over the moon about this. progress!
 
Hi @CaliCat
Just been reading your thread. I’m nearly 4 months post op now and I had the same problem with leg length differences as you. I was sent to the orthotics dept (after my physio measured my legs) and they remeasured and said the difference was 1.2cms
I took one of my shoes in and they sliced it open and inserted a 1.2cm infill. It makes a huge difference to my gait - I felt like I was lurching over to the side before!
I’ve also bought some ready made 1cm orthotics off Amazon to put into my other shoes. I can’t have all my footwear adapted!
I think if I have my other knee done then there’s every chance he can even up my leg length - I’m quite knock kneed - so straightening it will make it longer. In the meantime thank goodness for orthotics! :hiking:
 
Hi, @ChrissiG - I've been wearing a 1/4" heel lift on the right side for three days now and I can definitely tell an improvement. Gait is better, back pain is less, and I'm walking much more comfortably. I absolutely need the other knee done, but this will help me get thru tge intervening months without throwing my hip out!
 
That lift has sure made a big improvement in your body! Something so small, yet so powerful!
 
Had another PT session today and measured at 93 degrees! I am so stoked, because I am now 100% confident about cancelling the MUA and letting time take its course to increase my ROM. Tomorrow will be 5 weeks post-op, and I was able to go up a fairly long flight of stairs today step-over-step. I held onto the handrail on both sides, but I wasn't using them to haul myself up, just for a little balance. Coming down was another matter; I had to go one step at a time - but this time, instead of leading with my operated leg as they tell you to do right after surgery, I found myself leading (stepping down) with my unoperated leg . . . which, I guess, means that I can now safely say that my operated leg is better than my other one.

I've been back at work part-time this week and it's working out well. Only four hours a day, and only three days a week. I have a big ice pack at work and I can elevate my leg, and then I come home and lay down with my legs up for a couple of hours after - and I seem to be tolerating it well. I can certainly relate to the people who complain about loss of energy, though. Even though I know I'm making a very fast recovery, I'm still very conscious of how reduced my energy levels are compared to "normal". However, I have to keep reminding myself of how restricted my activity had gotten for the last year before surgery . . . and how even though I get wiped out, it's different from the pain I had for so long.
 
@CaliCat, I’ve been getting caught up on your recovery story. It is great to see you are doing so well! You are going to be even more amazed in another 4-6 weeks, I’m sure. You are lucky you’ve got a PT who actually can relate to what you are going through, so listen to what he says and gauge it against what your knee is telling you. Between the two, I believe you’ll be just fine.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom