THR My new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just catching up with your account. So sorry that you've had so much pain in the first few days. I am sending good thoughts and praying that they get your BP regulated very soon so you can take the pain meds and begin to appreciate your new hip.
 
Thanks, everyone, and thanks for moving my post surgery posts to where they should be- I couldn't figure that out from my phone.

As I type, they are preparing my discharge paperwork. I am excited and nervous.

This hasn't been an easy experience for me so far, but despite some bumps along the way, I really do believe it was the right decision.

I feel like my duty here is to tell my story- to continue being as positive as I can, to be honest about my concerns and struggles, and to support and be supported in this wonderful community.

I have read many members' stories on this site. Those stories and my pre-op arthritic pain are what got me to face the needed surgery.

No two THR journeys are going to be the same. If you've had your joint replacement you may recognize similarities with mine, but you will also know as a fact what was different in your experience.

If you are new and looking at what you may be facing, please understand that my experience, or anyone's experience, may or may not be how yours plays out.

The one common thread I think we hippies will agree on, is that while the path and the occurrences along that path can be different, the destination to a life without arthritic pain is the same, and yes, it is worth it.

As a quick recap to catch things up with my story, I had low blood pressure after surgery which meant I could not get pain meds on a regular schedule. You can see how that was an issue. A few things were tried to raise my blood pressure that did not work. I would have signed up for them to clash cymbals while pulling my hair had that been a blood pressure raising option.

Instead, I received two bags of blood, and that seemed to do the trick. No more 88/57 readings.

I will say the staff at the medical facility have been wonderful. In an effort to get me on a pain pill schedule and to ensure I got rest after the transfusions raised my blood pressure, they began 2 Percocets and 1 long acting Oxy and I received medicine like clock work all throughout the night. They wanted me to be rested and equipped for physical therapy sessions the next day.

I tried to keep something on my stomach - 1 graham cracker, or a bite of yogurt, or a little ginger ale, but it was difficult because of the timing and whether I felt nauseous or not. Plus, my mouth was so DRY at times! I took saltines but it felt like they sucked the little moisture I had from my mouth, and would just stick to my gums.

Having so much pain medicine did help me sleep well. But when I woke up I felt hungover and nauseated and spent a long time vomiting. Being nauseous is cruel and multi-faceted. You can be nauseous because of taking meds without enough food in your belly, or because the meds themselves don't agree with you, or you can be sick because of the pain, etc. it can create a catch -22, where you're sick from taking pain meds but hurting and need more pains, and too nauseated to put anything in your stomach, which makes you more sick if you take more medicine. I hope that makes sense.

I have been sick after surgeries before because of the anesthesia, but I was not at all this time and I was so thankful. My being sick THIS time was from having too little pain management to too much pain management and not being able to hold any food down.

This is now better, and I have completed my required physical therapy. It is nice that the arthritis pain is gone. It feels wild that I can stand differently than I was just standing Monday of this week. And I look forward to many more notable improvements and appreciations to come!

But there's still pain because this is a surgery, and it is a process. I believe everyone should know going in that this is a widely performed, highly effective, life-changing surgery, and that it is possible. But go in with managed expectations and know it won't be overnight success- at least is hasnt been for me.

That's all the update for now. Onward and upward from here. Blessings and peace to you all and I can't wait to catch up with everyone.
 
What a wonderful and informative story @Sommers16 . You're exactly right that each surgery has its own unpredictable ups and downs. Mine being so, so easy... And yours, not so much. That said, the same surgery at the same hospital with the same OS performed on a different joint will be different than the surgeries we just had. What you said about the end result being life changing and highly effective is so very true. We're all here because of OA that has made our quality of life impossible to maintain. Hopefully, as we all travel this road to recovery together....we will be happy with the end result of getting our lives back. Now is your time to rest, rest, rest! I'm finally starting to get some of my energy back...so be patient with and pamper yourself this first couple of weeks. xoxoxo
 
Even with what you've been thru, you still sound so positive. Your honesty is profound...and so correct when you state that everyone has their own experience. Here's hoping that you have the right combination of pain pills and can continue to keep something in your stomach. Maybe once you are home something will appeal to you.....like a cookie and your own bed. Sleep well tonight and don't forget the ice.
 
Hi, BoneSmart family:

Just checking in. It is in the wee hours of the morning on Sunday, May 22nd. Yesterday the 21st was my first full day home.

I am glad to be home. I am thankful that my low blood pressure has returned to normal. I am thankful I haven't been vomiting any more like I did in the hospital.

I am working now to figure the recovery business out. Writing down what meds I am taking and when. Enjoying getting more of a clean up than was possible in the hospital. Excited to be around my dogs and cats again, and wishing they understood what is going on with me. They want to be in my lap as usual, but for now that is off limits.

I am managing to get comfortable while in bed. Sitting up in a chair has been a challenge comfort wise, however. Lots of different sensations ranging from soreness to a feeling of muscles pulling, for instance.

My incision has been draining, so I am keeping a pad beneath my hip for that. I am deliberately not looking at the site myself but I've been told it looks fine and is healing well.

My help resumes her regular work schedule on Monday AM, so we are trying to figure out how she can best set me up in the mornings before her work and then me be okay solo during the day.

I find that I will have a cycle of feeling utterly exhausted followed by a bit of a recharge. Trying to be patient.

I am sleeping with the wedge that was used at the hospital. It is what keeps your legs parallel to one another so you don't cross them. It isn't the greatest, but I am working to not violate my position restrictions. I am normally a side sleeper and leg and ankle crosser, and I think without the wedge I would do that in my sleep. I am hoping to "graduate" to a new position when I am
able to.

I am glad I rented the hospital bed. It isn't as nice as the one in the hospital,
but being able to make head and feet adjustments has been helpful.

In-home physical therapy begins Monday. Hoping for someone knowledgable, compassionate and patient.

Since we "keep it real" here, I had my first bowel movement post surgery. It was a lot of effort. The kind of effort that inspires such things as the novel Moby Dick, but is one more thing checked off the list. One more sign of things returning to normal, and that healing and restoration are under way.

I am to make a follow up appointment with my surgeon for two weeks from now. Hoping that everything looks fantastic for Norm's first official mugshot.

Getting in and out of the car to leave the hospital and then get inside the house was a bit laborious. I know it will get easier. Leaning back and trying to pivot in with operated leg straight felt akin to getting a surfboard to ride shotgun inside a Volkswagon Beetle. Ha Ha

I am going to see if I can find updates on other BoneSmarties now, and then see if I can catch a few more winks.

Here's wishing everyone a day of peace and wellness, whether you're pre or post op. Make the most of it and remember to count your blessings that are easily overlooked while you work through life's challenges which can be so much more apparent. That last sentence, that reminder, was directed at me as much as anyone.
 
Glad you are feeling better today! Things will get easier every day. What seems impossible one day will be very easy the next. Patience is prescribed!

I see no one has given you your recovery articles so I will post them here for you.
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
You sound so much better @Sommers16! You're going to have to be VERY careful that your pets don't trip you! My darling cat Milo, loves to run in fron of me and immediately plop his little buns down right in front of me! He has no fear of the cane or walker...God bless his little soul! You are going to LOVE your hospital bed, as it helps with sleeping and getting in and out of bed. Here I am going on 4 weeks and I'm still cozily enjoying my hospital bed and the new 50" tv located in my lady lair! We have a 32" tv in our master bedroom and the other day I turned it on and thought, "Oh heck no! All the actors looked like tiny little miniature creatures!" Really the main reason I haven't moved back with hubby is because I'm still getting up two or three times to use the bathroom and I don't want to wake hubs up with these trips (at least that's what I've told him! :heehee:). Take care my friend! Xoxoxo
 
Happy Sunday! Am sure glad to hear your positive thoughts and your recovery plans going forward! Those energy drains are sumthin huh. :yikes: Thankfully they are easing up a little as go into my third post-Herman week. Yay! I think you'll be fine solo.... Just have your lunch made and handy...and all your must-have stuff. My biggest problem is getting my Herman leg into bed and comfy with his pillow...but once I do, I can usually find my sweet spot. Ahhhhhhh. :yes: You'll prob also Sleeeeeeeeeep much of the time anyway, this first couple weeks.

I'm finding that I really cannot sit on any kind of a chair that's not going to let me recline back so that I'm far, far away from that 90 degrees. And those few times when Herman crosses my midline mentally freaks me out. I feel like I can Actually Feel Herman screaming as the tissue swells around him, poor guy! Other than those two things, I think we're all cruising right along on this voyage called Recovery :) :friends:xoxoxo
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the support and encouragement. Taking it moment by moment, day by day. Having some issues staying asleep. In the hospital I had Percocet and long-acting Oxy in short intervals and it upset my stomach. I've taken Percocet before and it worked well for me, so I believe I was just getting too much too frequently in this latest instance, causing me to vomit. They sent me home on something I'd never heard of- Nucynta. Has anyone had any experience with that? It seems to wear off fast. I went to sleep last night at midnight and woke up before 5 AM.
 
[Bonesmart.org] My new hip!
@Cynthia777 - thank you for checking on me! I hope you are healing well and still enjoying the big TV!

I haven't been taking the maximum amount of pain medicine, no. Usually with me a little goes a long way. I have been icing, and what everyone says about icing is so true. It feels fantastic!

I was discharged from the hospital on Friday the 20th of May. I have had a good amount of drainage each day from the incision site. The doctor's office said they wanted to take a look at it before the holiday (Memorial Day) weekend. So I went yesterday.

The surgeon said my incision looks good and that he isn't concerned. He decided to go ahead and remove several staples, and he wants me to return next week to have the rest of the staples removed. There were 25 altogether.

I told him about my pain and I explained I would like the maximum benefit of taking pain relief with the minimum amount of side effects possible. He said any narcotic is going to cause side effect issues such as dizziness and constipation. So he didn't want to change me from the Nucynta. However, he did write a prescription for a muscle relaxer that he wants me to start taking at bed time only. I don't want to be in pain needlessly, but I have to say the dizziness and the "woo-woo" feeling in the head from painkillers make me a little nervous at times because I don't want to be unsteady on my feet and fall. I am learning to watch the timing of taking medicine and activity.

Some of this recovery business is hard to navigate because there's no personal baseline to judge it by. I ask myself things like, "Am I progressing well enough and on track? Am I in too much pain, or is this an appropriate amount? Should I be this tired? Are these muscular and nerve sensations I'm feeling in the operated leg normal? This weird pulling sensation in my groin- is that ok? Am I following all my posterior precautions correctly?"

The surgeon said I should expect it taking up to a year to feel 100% again. And he said my pain goal is for it not to be over a 4.

He also said I can start taking Ibuprofen again. So I am taking the Nucynta, some Advil, a muscle relaxer at night, and using ice. So far, so good. I try and empty my bladder several times before sleeping and taking the muscle relaxer, because I have had some close calls with getting to the potty in time. And you can only rush so much and be careful.

PT is coming out again tomorrow. I feel reassured when they show me how I can safely move. So far I think it has been helpful. I am sleeping with the foam wedge from the hospital between my knees and legs at night that keeps your legs straight and parallel. It isn't super comfy being in that position all night, but I would flip and cross legs and do other prohibited things otherwise, I think.

Sorry this has gotten so long- I have been offline and am catching up tonight. Yesterday's doctor visit and extra movement was tiring.

The surgeon took an x-ray yesterday, and I put it side by side with my pre-surgery hip. I am going to see if I can upload it.

That's all for now. In the last 9 days post surgery I have had some ups and downs about it all. I know that is normal and I'm so thankful for this site. But I do feel a bit better each day- a little stronger, a little less fragile physically and emotionally. Hard to be patient with the process.

Hugs to all my BoneSmart family!
 
I found the side effects from the pain meds dissipated rather quickly, however I do take magnesium to keep the Bowles moving.

I find myself asking the same questions as you (I think a lot of mine is because my first THR was so easy). Be careful with the muscle relaxers, as they can have a similar side effect (that woozy feeling).

Boy, those nightly potty trips are grueling! I still get up one or two times a night, so I'm pretty sleepy the next day.

I think you will find after the two week mark, you'll notice a lot more improvement. Those first two weeks can be quite trying. I've noticed a big improvement this past week and I'm just over 30 days, so hang in there.

Please don't apologize for a "long" post, as the more details you share, the more your journey will help those that follow. And remember, this is a marathon and not a sprint. Slow and steady. Blessings! :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom