THR My new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update- Wednesday evening, 5/18

I know my surgery was only yesterday. And I know that the post-surgery pain will cease.

I just want so much to speed through this post-surgical pain and get on with life.

Tonight the nurse was helping me back in the bed after I'd been on the potty. My operated leg still feels so new, odd, heavy and achy to me. When I was getting in the bed, my operated leg turned in, like a lead weight was in my knee cap.

I am terrified of hurting my new hip. The PCA said it would take a lot more to dislocate the joint than that. Still, feeling the leg roll in like that made me lose it. I didn't intentionally do that move. It also hasn't helped that the low blood pressure situation has caused me to miss doses of pain pills.

I had two sessions of therapy today and will have two tomorrow. I am getting more fluids and drinking more fluids and got a shot of ephedrine all to try and raise my blood pressure. It has helped some, but not much.

When I am still in the bed and can get comfortable, there is little to no pain, which is great. But when I get up to use the bathroom or to do physical therapy, it hurts pretty badly getting in and out of the bed. And once the surgical leg is "angered" it stays that way awhile.

The hospital staff here is nice, but I don't think they could possibly understand what this is like.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better. I think my expectations may have been too high too soon. I know things will improve and that this was still the right thing to do. But I am struggling at the moment. :groan:
 
I'm so sorry you are having a rough time. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers that things will soon improve. I hope you get a good nights rest.
 
Oh Sommers, I'm so sorry you're having problems. Being able to take the pain medications on a regular timetable does help a lot - I was always advised to take extra before the physio came to get me up and about so it must be very hard to be active when you aren't getting the full range of pain management.

Make sure you tell them about the pain and ask if there's anything else you can take that won't aggravate the blood pressure problems. Ice when that leg is angry - it makes such a difference.
 
So so sorry your pain meds aren't able to be managed as well as is comfortable for you dear @Sommers16 . I had a little taste of that just tonight. I waited until bedtime to take my Percocet, so I was already 2 or 3 hours late, but no worries... I was lying in bed with my book so my pain was pretty much zero. As I was getting my evening pills ready, a neighbor came by. When she left, I took the pills that were in my little pill cup...but after I'd swallowed them I thought to myself that it seemed like something was missing. I was afraid to take another nighttime dose (2) of the Percocet, knowing that 4 would be way too many. Well....as the hours wore on, my hip pain shot up to an 8 or 9 and comfort was impossible. Moaning & Groaning Bad! Still uncertain about whether my pain pills actually made it into my pull cup because of my interruption.... I waited in agony until 4.5 hours had crept by...then took 2 more Percocet. It's been an hour now and I'm back in my comfort zone again. This tells me that the first dose of Percocet definitely wasn't in the cup with my other nighttime pills. Geeeeeesh. Don't interrupt me people! My brain can't take that tiny hiccup!!! You will be fine once they get your BP straightened out...I just hate so much that you're in pain! Am sending you Positive Vibes and Prayers that this gets squared away ASAP and becomes just a little bump in the road to your recovery xoxoxoxo :console2:
 
Thank you, everyone. Since my BP is still low, I am getting a blood transfusion today. I am frustrated and feel like I'm moving backwards rather than forwards.

I slept better last night, and was hopeful for today. After I sat up, however, I became very nauseated and had to return to bed. I can't fully tell what is going on, but it all works together.

Hopefully the blood transfusion will elevate my blood pressure so that pain medicine is not withheld, and if the pain is mainly in check, then my anxiety will be reduced. My legs have been trembling so hard lying here in the bed that it is making my operated leg feel worse. Just feel like a disappointed, hot mess.
 
Oh @Sommers16, I'm so sorry! I know exactly what you're going through as my anesthesiologist numbed the wrong hip! So for the first couple of days in the hospital weren't pretty. I was able to take the pain meds, but because the pain had gotten ahead of me, it took a bit of time to get it in check. Once you get the transfusion and are able to take your pain med cocktail, you will feel like a new person. Don't feel too discouraged about the transfusion because I've read several threads where members also needed a transfusion and felt a thousand times better afterwards. Sending you prayers right now.
 
So sorry you have been having a crummy start. Your opening statement, however, is so positive...'post-surgery pain will cease' ~ I hope by this afternoon things will calm down and you'll be able to rest and get a grip on the pain. I hope they are letting you use ice continually. Sending you my best!
 
Thank you everyone. Almost one bag of blood down and one more to go. I am going to ask for ice again. They aren't super proponents of ice for some reason. Thank you again!
 
@Sommers16 Oh no! I had a bit of a rocky start with blood pressure too. It took abou 48 hours to sort out, and frankly......the minimal pain coverage was completely overwhelming. Fingers crossed that the blood stabilizes everything. Ugh....I was soooo frustrated at this point. Take care. This is a temporary challenge--
 
Keep at them for ice.

I hope the transfusion makes a really positive difference!
 
@Sommers16 Hope you are starting feel better. So glad the surgery is behind you. I've been thinking about you this week. Stay strong, it does get better.


LTHR 2/22/2016
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom