THR My new hip :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 days post op
Trying to stay positive :-)
Lots of pain and nausea, kind of difficult to hold things down. Set my alarm so I can take my meds round the clock.
Have a great night :-)
 
@Blessed1
I'm so sorry to hear you are having a bit of a rough start! There is nothing worse than having that ongoing nausea!!! I have lifted you up in prayer and will continue to do so.
 
Sorry to hear you are having a lot of pain, I hope it sorts itself out soon. Staying positive definately helps.
 
Glad to see you here but sorry that you're struggling with nausea and pain. I'm hoping they are getting under control!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Those prayers are more than I could ever ask for right now @Cynthia777 :-)
Thank you so much.

Hi there @JulieJF and @Liznwiz Thanks so much for the support.
Still hanging in there ladies, I sent an email to the office about my concerns so I'll hear back from them tomorrow. I think my mind is all over the place right now because I've been here before and this feels different so it concerns me a bit.

I also remember that the OS told me on day 2 that he had to use a larger sized cup on this time so I'm wondering if that's why the pain is so much worse . I was out of it during that convo but I just sent his office an email for clarification and to ease my mind a bit.
Have a good night ladies :-)
If you know anyone with similar issues regarding the size can you please tag them? Thanks so much.
 
Thanks @Cynthia777 :)
Hi there @Josephine ... A penny for your thoughts please :)
---regarding the different cup sizes used and possible side effects or complications.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Blessed1 are you able to eat something with your pain meds, this may help with the nausea.
 
Jolly good - when you feel up to it you may like to browse my articles :)

I thought you might like to get a snapshot of where you are in the medically acknowledged healing phases.

The following is a link to an article which provides the science regarding the healing process beneath and around the implant and the approximate timeframes for our bodies healing phases and processes.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know

Feel free to tag me if you have any questions regarding nutrition.

However, I would appreciate if you (or any other member) do not request advice regards supplements as I would be breaking the Common Law Act (under which I am governed) to prescribe outside of my practice, especially via the Internet.
 
Thank you @Poppet
I'll be up for a while so I'll definitely have time to review this info again. :-)
 
@Poppet, I haven't had too much trouble sleeping to be honest. I'm a night owl and with sleeping so much during the day I thought it was normal to stay awake later.
I was actually just reading this article too :-) I'm having some chamomile tea as I'm reading this.
I will definitely keep that in mind about bananas before bedtime though! Very good to know.
 
I also remember that the OS told me on day 2 that he had to use a larger sized cup on this time so I'm wondering if that's why the pain is so much worse .
In no way! But perhaps he had a struggle getting the joint dislocated and/or reduced which would result in more trauma to the muscles. That would account for more pain.
 
@Blessed1

I'm also a night owl, though I've been joking that this surgery has the danger of turning me into a morning person! Honestly, right now, I feel as though I can sleep at the drop of a hat. :yawn:
 
Thanks so much for the info @Josephine
I seem to be experiencing a lot of groin pain, I literally just sit still for most of the day so I won't have to feel any pain. Is this pain normal and should it subside as my hips heal?

Thanks hun.
 
@JulieJF Lol same here. I got up at 6am today, clearly a mistake, lol so I passed out again. With this lovely medication it doesn't take much effort to fall asleep :-)Plus I'm extra motivated to sleep so I won't have to feel anything
 
Is this pain normal and should it subside as my hips heal?
Okay, let's try this

I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] My new hip :-)
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

5. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! **Reps, sets and sessions** and all that)

** If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of your leg = 1 rep (repetition)
5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set
5 sets and finishing = 1 session.
 
Thanks so much for your time @Josephine
1. Anterior
2. Right now it's at an 8 and can go to 10 depending on the slightest movement.
3. Percocet 7.5-325mg 2 tabs every 4 hours.
4. Because of the pain the only thing I really do is very light walking inside if I need to. I may pick up clutter every here and there but no main chores yet.
5. My PT comes to visit m/w/f
PT on my own is not much right now unfortunately :(
*Ankle pumps 1set of 10 (3 sessions/day)
*Squeeze bottom for 5secs/ 1 set 10 secs/ 1 session.
* while seated, bend my legs at the knee as far as I can go then slide back down. 1 set of 10. 1 session

Hope I was descriptive enough. Thanks again :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom