MUA My LTKR journey continues to RTKR<

@Mister, thanks for your reply. This was your r knee that you had it done on. I'm curious about the left and what range you have gotten with it. It's probably in your thread. Lots to think about.

@VW54 and @sistersinhim lots of good questions. They set a tentative date of next Wednesday pending insurance approval. Yes I drive more than fly. I have a company car and only use a rental when flying. Lots to consider with driving with company car as well.....

@liam2015 and @kmak81230 i was pretty excited when I hit 90 on Monday. I felt like my knee had a different feel to it. On Wed I was able to get to 95 on my own even! Monika, my therapist did some stretching with me and I got to 100 but only after the stretching. Well on Thur I was back to 85ish and pushing with everything and pain I got 90. I wish I didn't feel the pressure of time concerning work etc.

@Pheebs52, the psychoanalysis of the group. Sleep on it you say? I did, fitful some of the time but sleep I did and just woke at 9. During the night I think I have made my decision. I haven't called the OS yet but I decided not to do it this Wed and I am going to play instead. That is play with Harper!! We were at my Tara's, my daughters that had the baby last night. Beka, another daughter made arrangements to stay with her to help since I couldn't. She has to leave next week to go back home. This is Tara's first baby and she is really rather nervous and anxious. I decided to keep really working hard to get my range but really go about daily living as much as I can. If in two weeks I'm still really stalled I will schedule. I think my daughter needs me more right now. I'm trusting I am making the right decision and things will work out okay for my knees and return to work.

@KarriB the Loritab doesn't make me crazy emotional like Percocet and Dilaudid. I was really pushing to get off Loritab and only use Tylenol but not for any good reason except I really don't like taking meds at all and thought I should. I'll keep taking the meds during this time regularly so it doesn't get out of control. I guess 6 weeks is a little early to go off everything but Tylenol. I know there is good documentation on this site about addiction and that it's not usually ever the case so I need to relax. I know no one could tell I am a little high strung???

@knit2tog there is much to think about. Im glad I can vent here. I'm just going to have to trust on this that I am making the correct decision. Trust that I don't run out of time and I still have a job to go back to. If I pushed all 26 weeks to the limit it would be Sept 20. Surely I can get enough flexion by then to work. If not, if I end up needing a MUA I could recover by Sept 20. Now whether my brain has gone to mush and I'll ever think clearly again to go back to work after all that time is another matter!

Thanks bone smarties for letting me bounce things off you, your replies and the sleep on it advice!
 
Congratulations on your new grand baby! Hopefully you will have enough range of motion to get back to work by Sept 20th.
 
Have you tried heat? I know we are big ice fans around here, but maybe some heat on the upper and lower leg might loosen up some of those tight muscles. Also, a therapeutic massage. My massage therapist is a master at getting those tight ligaments And musckes to move better. Bc ultimately, it's not just what your joint can do, but the muscles around the joint have to be lose enough. Maybe you can try that while your waiting those two weeks. At least it couldn't hurt, right? (I'm waiting til school starts so I can see my massage therapist. She's near Ben's school and I can stop by afte I drop him off. Aug 1st...sweet relief!)

And does this mean we get more baby pics? :roseshwr:
 
Hi Becky: I'm glad you are giving yourself some more time to think about this. And to play with Harper. Who knows, maybe just going through your ADLs and Grandma (and mom) activities will loosen things up and perhaps with another week or two you will also have more energy. Enjoy that baby!
 
Just catching up and, wow, you have a big decision to make. For what it's worth, I think you've made a sane choice to focus on yourself and your daughter (and adorable grand-daughter) for now. Doing so will put your head in a good place, and give you some perspective on what's going on with your knee. You've gotten so much good advice, and have such great experience already, that I'm sure you will come to the best decision. It's so truly difficult to juggle your needs versus your options.
 
@becticu wow! Your rom is pretty good! Your decision to wait might be for the best. I feel you're right on track.
Also, it will be great to be there for your daughters.

I'm 4wks out and my rom is 95/-6. I'm happy with that, as os and pt says it will increase in time. But, I have a desk job and don't have to do the walking you do.
Have fun with those grand babies, they're the best.
 
I'm a little surprised your surgeon wanted to do an MUA at 90. Usually once you hit 90 most don't push for the MUA because the rest of the ROM usually comes.

Play with Harper, it'll be easy to hold her with your leg propped up and an ice pack on it. Thankfully she is an infant and not a toddler to chase after!
 
Hey Becky, just checked in and caught up with you. What a whirlwind of emotional roller coaster you have been on the last few weeks! Your decision sounds good to me, giving yourself some breathing room and nurturing down time for you, your daughter and beautiful baby Harper. Our knees and all the thought/worry/concerns around them don't always have to be front and center, however needy they can be.
Enjoy the time with them ! Everything will work out.
 
Becky, you made the choice I would have made, so of course, I think it's a great one, lol. I know you'll thoroughly enjoy your time with Harper and Tara and just getting into the Grandma mode for awhile. I think it was Jennszoo who asked if you have tried some heat? If not, give it a whirl on your quads. You can ice your knee and heat your quad at the same time~I do it often. I find it really loosens things up.

So, take a pill, take a walk, and follow the rest of the drill. Most of all, relax; you've earned it!
 
I agree with everyone else, that I think you've made the right decision by giving yourself a couple of more weeks. By taking your mind off your ROM and putting it elsewhere will allow all that stress to disappear, giving your knee an easier time to bend. You will be so busy taking care of those two that you'll be doing lots of ADLs, which is really good for that knee and for your emotions! Just know that you have lots of people on here rooting for you!
 
It was pretty amazing the peace I had when I called the OS office and told them I wasn't going to do the MUA on the 26th. It was a right decision for several reasons. @KarriB, I'm not sure either why he jumped the gun like he did unless he was concerned I wouldn't get the bend before back to work time. As fate would have it on office visit day I was so stiff. I tried all the tricks to get warmed up and the stiffness never went away. I told him I'm not that way every day but....

@Jennszoo, oh yes I do the heat and ice at the same time. That has actually helped a lot. I did that with the first knee. It just hasn't helped the bend yet.

I have gotten stronger and stronger each day this week. I almost feel like me, but not quite there yet. I was never a napper or sit and rest but definitely still doing that some. It does feel good not to have that unbearable fatigue so much of the time.

My daughter with the new baby has a pool and since he released me Thur for the pool I have been using it. It's amazing how much easier it is to bend in the water. It's great to spend time with Tara and Harper and when they are napping doing my exercises in the pool. We went ahead and joined the Y today as well. On Utube there are many videos about knee replacement aquatic therapy. I really paced myself the first two days but am feeling rather sore tonight so hopefully I didn't overdo it.

All in all it's a good ending to week six!:swim:
 
Oh I'm totally looking those up on YouTube bc Im declaring myself done w PT, I love the water and after 8/1 when my kids are back in school, I plan to get in the pool as much as I can before I go back to work sometime in Sept. Thanks!
 
@Jennszoo, that time is just around the corner! I'm sure you know how to make a playlist and add the videos you like to it right? I made all kinds of different playlists and got them all organized to different things I am interested in.
I normally don't like to get measured when I go to PT but Monday I'm going to ask. I don't think it's my imagination. If I haven't gained more I sure feel looser. I need to walk more too but it was 99 today. I may have to take up @Pheebs52 Home Depot walking!
 
Great report Becky! Glad your decision is feeling good! Pool therapy sounds delightful. I am hoping to start that soon so will also look up some of the videos
 
Becky, what a great report! I will also have to check-out those YouTube videos on pool therapy; thanks!

Don't scoff at the Home Depot walk, lol; it's cheap (unless you're into power tools and lumber) and efficient! The A/C was blasting the two times I've been in there.:happydance:
 
I can't stand to walk in the heat/humidity either. Sometimes I'll head to Walmart to get my steps in!
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom