Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* My L T K R Diary 2020

Update.
Went to hospital where the op was done
Went into theater they took 3 samples done 1 test while I was there.
They have found an infection in the joint I have to go back Wednesday to have it reopened flushed and have the plastic spacer replaced.
The pain last night was off the scales luckily they gave me a bottle of morphine to take home.
I really didn't expect or need this I knew something wasn't right.
I am dreading going through all this again so soon.
Looks like I am going to have 2 war medals on the same knee.
 
@Defender So sorry to read you have an infection. But at least you now know what was causing all that pain and swelling. Are they giving you antibiotics?
 
As Jaycey said, I’m sorry it’s an infection but I’m glad it has finally been discovered so appropriate action can be taken and you can start to recover from it. My prayers are with you.
 
Now the healing can begin! There had to be reason for all that pain and swelling and now you know what it is. You will begin to improve! Do you have an infectious disease doctor on your case? That is a must. :prayer: :prayer:
 
I'm sorry to hear this news as well, but not too surprised. @Jaycey, how would it work in the UK for him to request to have an infectious disease doctor brought into the case?

@Defender, the flush-out is the first step in this process...the most conservative approach to try and get rid of the infection without doing a revision. Remember those things I mentioned above that were good signs? The no fever, redness, or heat in your knee? Hopefully the washout and some follow-on antibiotics will take care of the nasty bugs. It is worth a try.

Having the spacer replaced won't be as bad as your original knee replacement surgery. You should feel much better once you have that done if for no other reason than you won't have that huge swollen knee. I know this is not what you wanted to have happen, but we'll be here for you to lean on as you go through the process to clear the infection. It does work. People get rid of their infection and go on to have a life with a good, functioning knee. You will too.
 
Many thanks for all your replies.
I will keep you updated I pray this will sort this out for good.
Been going on far too long.
 
how would it work in the UK for him to request to have an infectious disease doctor brought into the case?
Usually the surgeon would work with the infection control team to coordinate care.

@Defender Ask your surgeon who will be overseeing your care in terms of the actual infection treatment. If there is no plan to have an ID involved, insist on one! You need an expert to insure this is cleared up quickly. Typically they would give you antibiotic orally and insert antibiotics into the area once it is throughly flushed. You would be continually monitored to insure the infection is clearing.

You could also ask your GP for an urgent referral to an Infectious Disease specialist. They will probably be working within the hospital where you have your op.
 
Thanks, Jaycey! That was the information I was hoping you could provide!
 
Why have I got a really sore / tender place on the inside of my calf
This was there from just after my op as I found it sore when putting on the compression stocking that I had to wear for a few weeks after my op
I sometimes get a tingling / burning feeling.
Could this be pressure from the infection.
 
It wouldn't be directly from the infection, but it could be some swelling related to having the infection in your joint.
 
Just popped in to see how you're doing. I'm so sorry you're having all these problems. Thank goodness you persevered and didn't give up. Wishing you all the best and hoping this will all be sorted, put right and you'll be out of pain and making a good recovery before long and can put all this misery behind you. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.
 
Well the op is done they are pulling out all the stops thus time got a drain pico dressing and I V drip anti antibiotics tablets.
The nurse told me that the surgeon called in to see how I was.
So tomorrow physio will be round to get me up.
There was talk about me going back to the hostpital that I went to A& E this weekend and at the moment I don't know why.
I am going to tell them I am not happy about that as I have a reduced immune system which puts me at high risk to covis.
Wow got to go pain kicking in time to get nurse.
20200422_162948.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pleased your medical team is wasting no time getting this going for you. That's good news. Were you able to get an infectious disease doctor on your case?
 
I hope you can get your pain under control. It is good news that you now are on the road of total healing! :prayer:
 
They want to move me onto another hostpital tomorrow to get a liner. I have no idea what that is I believe it's done by drip and it's something they don't do here
Can any one here explain or know what it is
 
Ohh found out what's it is its a ( picc line )
It's used for long term antibiotics and other things.
Is this a common thing.
 
@Defender Yes, a picc line allows you to have antibiotic drips over a period of time. It means you only get "stuck" once and then they just change the bag. In some cases the patient does this. But you will get instructions in the hospital.
 
Jaycey is right. This is the norm when treating infections. It's a great delivery system for the heavy-duty antibiotics that usually work very well to fight any infection and it's much more comfortable for you. I'm very glad to hear your medical team is going this route. Sorry you have to change hospitals to do this, but I'm thankful these folks are looking out for you.
 
How long are you in hostpital.
Hopefully it's only a day treatment not keen on staying in hospital longer than I have to.
 
@Defender believe me, they will not keep you in hospital any longer than absolutely necessary. Every case is different so do ask staff about their plan for you. Hope you can get some rest tonight!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom