Knee Infection* My L T K R Diary 2020

It's seen major trauma - twice in only a matter of months. Ice your calf as well if you can. And do use the walker for now. This is all temporary - just take it day by day.

If your medication is not doing the job please call your surgeon's office. They may need to tweak your prescription.
 
Don't worry about your bend. After each of my patellectomies, I was in an immobilizer for 6-8 weeks. When I was allowed to finally bend my knees, they returned to their normal flex. It wasn't immediately, but they did come back. I never did exercises or PT for either of them. The bend just came back in normally using my knee in my daily activities. Yours will, too. It's just a time thing and lots of patience!
 
You need to advise your surgeon of any calf pain. That can indicate a blood clot and it's usually a good idea to have it checked out to be sure this is not the case. Since you're not up and about much, it is important to watch for a symptom like this. Doing ankle pumps during the day and evening is a good exercise that you can do to help keep blood circulating properly. It's something that can be done lying or sitting.
 
The district nurse did check for this.
Ankle pumps pull on my calf
 
Update
Went to A / E today as still getting calf pain
They did a blood test and will let me know in the next few days if I need a ultrasound scan.
In the meantime they have increased my inhixa injections from 40 mg to 120 mg
 
I’m glad you went and had it checked. I’m so sorry this just goes on and on for you.
 
This has been a big nightmare.
I have pipes going into my picc line from a bottle and pipes from my pico dressing.
I feel like robot cop.
I have an appointment to physio next Monday then straight after to get staples removed.
The physio better tread carefully on the knee bend it's not good but I won't let them force things as many on here have advised it's not force that's needed it's time.
 
Good for you for staying on top of things. I completely agree with your physio appointment.....you need to be taking things very easy for a while until your body gets some healing going on. You have plenty of time to get your ROM when the swelling subsides and things aren't so tender. The worse thing that could happen right now is for pain to flare up in your poor knee.
 
I had an appointment Monday physio then get staples removed.
This has been canceled as I can't have physio with a blood clot.
I have to go to hostpital for an ultra sound scan instead.
My calf is very painful and painfull to put weight on it.
What are the chances of having a knee infection and a blood clot
I am worried as my knee bend is about 10 degrees will I ever be able to get this back.
I am worried sick I may not walk again.
This has been my worst decision of my life wish I could turn the clock back.
 
You will walk again just fine. Your knee just has to heal from all the trauma it's going through.
 
I know it's scary, Defender. But once you get to the bottom of what's going on with your knee, it will begin to improve. The best thing I can tell you is to try and do things that keep your mind on something else. Things should start to feel more comfortable after Monday's appointment. Staple removal definitely loosens things up. And you'll be relieved to know if you're dealing with a blood clot or not. Hang in there.....:friends:
 
Update
Went for D V T scan yesterday result came back all clear.
Shortly after that had a call to go to the hostpital that did the operation for physio as my ankle is now very painfull and swollen I went.
The physio said they wouldn't do any physio as it looked to painfull.
They contacted my consultant who said go back to the hostpital that did the D V T scan get booked in and my consultant would come and see me in the morning he seemed puzzled as to why it should be swollen and painfull.
So here I am again back in hospital while they do more tests.
It's really painful I can't put any weight on it.
This operation really has become a nightmare.
 
Went into hostpital Monday so much ankle pain they kept monitoring me was on iv drip every 5 hours
Was due home last night but then I had to have covis test by someone wearing all the mask head shield etc and was told if it came back positive I would have to stay in hospital for at least 2 weeks this was a very scary 6 hours.
Results came back negative so relieved.
So now I am back home and I don't want to see another hostpital for a long while.
All credit and respect to all our nurses.
 
So glad you don’t have the virus and that you’re back home again.
 
Great that you are virus-free and back home.
 
I'm glad to hear the hospital was very thorough with you and happy you passed your tests with flying colors so you could return home. Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope your pain levels are improving.
 
Thanks Jamie
Yes I have had quite a journey since 12th February
My red blood cells are a bit low but this can be sorted by diet or suppliments.
My blood tests showed that the infection was coming down so hopefully that will continue
One thing I would say is the covis test is very painfull they put a swab right down your throat that you gag then up your nose so far it brings tears to your eyes
The worying thing is the test kits that some are using at home are getting false results as you would not do that to yourself.
 
It's too bad they aren't using the "quick tests" that are just a finger stick blood test. It's much easier on the patient. I have heard the nose swabs are pretty much torture. Sorry you had to go through that.
 
The thing is I am really struggling with is the bend.
I had the knee replacement 12th February and due to an infection a revision where they opened it up again cleaned and replaced the spacer just over 2 weeks ago
So you could say I am now back to 2 weeks from a knee replacement
It is is proving to be a real struggle I only have about 20 degree bend.
I just can't push it any further so painfull and I worry I will not improve.
 
Your bend will come back. Your main concern now should be healing it, not bending it. You are right, the beginning of your recovery is not April 21, 2020, the day of your revision.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom