Knee Infection* My L T K R Diary 2020

It is very doable for you to administer the antibiotics yourself from home, so hopefully that is the plan for you. Ask questions. There should be some written plan in your records....orders from one of your doctors for the PICC line.
 
Thanks yes I will make sure I know everything I am sure the hostpital has to nake sure you do.
Now i don't know what day I an going as the hostpital I am in now and did the surgery is a private hostpital although I had it done on the N H S has no transport to get me to the other hospital.
This is not what I expected I am a real outdoor person and I feel like a caged bird.
 
I went home the same day I received my PIC line for staph infection and my washout (tibia debridement). A nurse came over once a week to clean the PICC line entry point but my daughter/myself injected the medicine ( 4 vials). It was simple. The medicine and supplies were also delivered once a week. Then they took blood samples to check on my levels to see if the infection was gone. I then took pills for 2 months after the PICC was removed. It was no problem for me. I was so thankful to have the medicine and they caught it. Good luck to you and be safe!
 
I have three cannulas all have caused problems one on left inner arm the antibiotics have got under my skin and caused swelling.
The one tonight as they were administratin it was so painfull they have had to remove that now.
I go in Sunday to the other hospital and they are fitting the picc line Monday.
Is this something I will have for the rest of my life it seems to limit your normal activities.
 
Is this something I will have for the rest of my life it seems to limit your normal activities.
No, you will not have this forever. Once your blood tests show the infection has cleared they will proceed to the next stage. This may take awhile so please be patient (easy for me to say, I know). You may need to take oral antibiotics for quite awhile as well.

Have you discussed your treatment plan with your consultant? Do you have an Infectious Diseases consultant treating you?
 
I won't be seeing the cosultant where they are doing it till Sunday
This hospital doesn't do picc line.
 
I went home the same day I received my PIC line for staph infection and my washout (tibia debridement). A nurse came over once a week to clean the PICC line entry point but my daughter/myself injected the medicine ( 4 vials). It was simple. The medicine and supplies were also delivered once a week. Then they took blood samples to check on my levels to see if the infection was gone. I then took pills for 2 months after the PICC was removed. It was no problem for me. I was so thankful to have the medicine and they caught it. Good luck to you and be safe!
May seem a silly question but when I am up and about will I still be able to start and use my chansaw.
What arm do they put it into.
Quite important to me to get wood stocks for next winter.
What activities do they limit you to.
 
Last edited:
No doubt one of the moderators will be more equipped to give advice. All I know is that a PICC line to administer chemotherapy is placed in your chest.
 
From what I found online, the port is inserted into the upper arm. Maybe you can request it be put into your non-dominant arm so you can pull the cord on the chainsaw.
 
From what I found online, the port is inserted into the upper arm. Maybe you can request it be put into your non-dominant arm so you can pull the cord on the chainsaw.
Hope so that's what I was thinking.
My non dominant arm is my left as I am right handed.
 
I empathise with you on the chainsaw pulling cause I use one, too. I think your knee will be hindering you for a while still. Of course, you have a lot more upper body strength than we girls do, so you might not have to use your knee as much as I do.

Stop worrying about these 'little things'. They will clear up all by themselves. Your concern now is to get that infection out of your knee and get it healed! :prayer:
 
May seem a silly question but when I am up and about will I still be able to start and use my chainsaw.
What arm do they put it into.
Quite important to me to get wood stocks for next winter.
@Defender - Usually, the course of IV antibiotics only lasts about 6 weeks and then, if you knee infection is gone,the PICC line can be removed. You'll probably be taking oral antibiotics long-term.
It's only April now, so you should still have plenty of time to get a stock of wood in before next winter.
 
Went into hospital last Wednesday had knee revision cleaned out and replaced spacer
Stayed there till Sunday when I was transferred to another hostpital to have picc line fitted this was done on Monday.
My care in this hospital wasn't great no Ice or physio.
Sent home late Tuesday with flucloxacillin infusion which the district nurse has to change every day.
I am in so much pain my calf is so tender and raising my foot towards me pulls on my calf.
I can't put any weight on my leg I have been in tears thinking I will never walk again.
I am now having to use a walking frame.
I have physio booked for next Monday and have staples removed.
I am at my wits end I have never felt so low.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] My L T K R Diary 2020
    20200428_151934.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 294
@Defender I am so very sorry you are struggling through this. Your knee has had some major trauma and your body is fight this infection.

Are you able to ice and elevate now? That should help ease some of this. Are you taking any medication for this pain?
I have physio booked for next Monday
Is this something you requested or has the surgeon suggested PT. I really wouldn't subject that poor knee to any more activity at the moment. It needs to rest and heal.
 
Yes I am on pain medication rifampicin 300 mg every 12 hours
Pregabalin 50 mg 1 at night
My other medication is upstairs can't get to them at the moment they also gave me a bottle of morphine which I am thinking of taken
Surgeon booked physio then get staples removed
I have had knee replacement and revision all within 10 weeks.
All they keep saying is get the bend going I am pushing it to get 50 degree.
I can't take much more I wish I hadn't gone through with it as I think I may never walk again
District nurse is changing the infusion bottle this afternoon
 
My other medication is upstairs can't get to them at the moment they also gave me a bottle of morphine
Take your pain medication ask prescribed, around the clock. It is important to stay ahead of the pain at this stage.
All they keep saying is get the bend going I am pushing it to get 50 degree.
Please do not push your knee. Your bend will return. But you are recovering from a major op. You need to let that knee settle before trying any more activity. Can you postpone PT for now?
I can't take much more I wish I hadn't gone through with it as I think I may never walk again
You will walk again. You just need to get this swelling controlled.
 
Why is my calf so painfull.
Yesterday I could just about manage with crutches today I am barely able to use a frame pulling my foot upwards pulls on my calf which is so painfull
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom