Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Knee Odyssey<

I have been very afraid to walk on a treadmill since surgery as I would have less control of my pace as the surface is always moving.
 
Any opinions out there about whether walking on a treadmill is ok?
There are positives and negatives. The bounce on a treadmill can aggravate a new knee, but not as bad as walking on unlevel ground. That can really aggravate a new knee! I suggest you start very slowly on whatever you decide to do. Let you knee always be your guide!
 
I walked on the terrain you describe when I was about 4 months out from surgery but always with my cane or trekking poles. I think I started using the treadmill a couple of months after that - when the weather started getting nasty and when I was more confident that my gait was good. Start slow on the treadmill and make sure to have good form - you don't want to reinforce a poor gait. I found the stationary bike to be the best recovery tool for getting exercise.
 
Do you have access to a pool? Walking across the shallow end for five minutes two or three times a week helped me. I built up slowly.

Is your pain around the incision? I am almost a year out and I still have great discomfort in that area, if my foot is on the floor. Going to a movie is an endurance test, though I can walk with no pain. My OS and primary doctor were not helpful. Last week I spoke to my dermatologist. She said some people have post incision pain in the interstitial space under the skin. She suggested that if this continues I could have a very small amount of cortisone injected under the skin. She would like me to check with the OS first so she doesn’t “step on his toes.” Just thought I’d share it because she says this kind of pain is rare.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
So, here I am days away from my six-month TKR anniversary and feeling pretty discouraged about the pain I'm still experiencing. I know, I know -- I should expect a 12-month recovery, so I'm only halfway there. But dang -- I really thought I'd be off all pain meds by now (am still having to take one 50 mg Tramadol twice or three times a day) and not looking like Quasimodo when I walk.

Seems every TKR "survivor" I've met in person has gotten over their surgery much, much faster than I am. I have a six-month recheck with my OS next week and I am dreading it. He's not exactly a warm and fuzzy guy and he tends to blame the patient if things aren't going well. He did do an xray at three months and said everything looked fine and dandy. That's good to know ... but it would be great if I weren't in so much pain and were able to resume some of the exercise and activities I enjoy so much.

Anybody else out there have a story similar to mine? (Not that I'd wish that on anyone, but it would be nice to know I'm not the only one "in the slow lane," as my OS said of me.)
 
I hope you are doing better, and got the issue with your pain men's handled.

Good you stop that PT fakery. It has hurt you and made you unable to heal properly.
If it still hurts bad demand more meds, you have patients rights. You said they seemed stumped, it's because they never had one. You are bothering them now and they don't want you because you don't fit into their idea of how it should be. You are going to be fine.

Sometimes the meds make you hurt more especially if it not an adequate dose. Everyone is different, they don't like that. Drop that PT yourself, go to church, ask God to help you. You can get in a better frame of mind and that will help you to not think of your pain. Challenge yourself, you will now how much you can. You got a very good ROM. I'm envious, always try and keep your chin up when you walk.

Try not to lean, it will keep your other muscle strong and make your knee work properly. Try and get out when you can, don't get into pain routine. Strong doses of Tylenol with ibuprofen together has been proved to have more relief of pain than oxy. You are doing very well. You have had slit done to that knee and it will heal and you will be doing great. Test it, it is strong. Keep doing your things and not think of your knee and next thing you know you will be there.

I'm sorry you had the wormy doctor who makes you feel like it's your fault and he is
not taking care of you. And the pain thing, I hope your past that now. Also your friend the stumped PT that pushed your injured knee, yeah you're right about the inflammation everyone who has been through it knows.

Hey I never ever had a PT who had a TKR. Just do all the stuff the BoneSmart people say all the time and go about what you like to do in life. That's all the PT you need now.

Demand more drugs if you need them but try and control it because it's very painful and easy to get a physical dependent and that really makes it worse.

Good luck sister. And don't worry about it. You still have a knee that will be great and strong soon.
 
Seems every TKR "survivor" I've met in person has gotten over their surgery much, much faster than I am. I have a six-month recheck with my OS next week and I am dreading it. He's not exactly a warm and fuzzy guy and he tends to blame the patient if things aren't going well.

Comparing to other TKR recoveries can be hugely misleading. This is especially true if they are not at the same stage as you are. People tend to remember their recoveries far more rosily than was actually the case. To hear some people tell it, they were climbing mountains at three weeks. Didn't happen. But it makes them happy to remember it that way.

I think you will find you have a lot of company in recovering more slowly. Hang in there!

Did you cut back on your activity like Josephine recommended? Start walking, even if only a half-block or one block, every day? It may take doing a short walking program, building up to longer walks, to get your knee in shape (walking builds muscle strength and develops your balance) before you can resume your normal activities. At least, I found it so.

For pain have you tried taking Tylenol on a schedule (to keep up the amount in your blood, which helps keep down the pain)? There's also a Tramadol/Tylenol schedule our nurses recommend. I'll tag @Josephine for her advice on the meds.
 
@Murry wanted to let you know you are not alone and I am just a couple weeks behind you in this TKR process and I have problems too! We can commiserate together! [emoji38] Pain I have learned to tolerate since the opioids never really worked for me. I use mostly natural pain relievers - essential oils, rubs, turmeric, capsaicin, massages, etc to deal with it, using OTC pain meds very infrequently. My problem seems my new knee is misaligned and my “good” knee is tired of carrying the load making walking very difficult.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thanks to all who took the time to encourage me. I appreciate it so much. I know it probably sounds like I'm sitting around wallowing in my knee despair, but I actually am very, very busy and pressing on with everything I can do. I'm involved in starting a counseling ministry at our church, as well as leading a summer Bible study for women. (I know it may sound like I need to receive counseling more than I need to be giving it, right? LOL) I've had 20-something surgeries (don't worry, I'm not going to recount them all for you here :) and I'm used to recoveries where you reach a point rather quickly where you can start pushing yourself and see improvement. This TKR recovery is certainly a "different animal" than all the others, but the advice I've gotten here as been hugely helpful. I will try to be more diligent in taking Tylenol (along with Tramadol) on a more regular basis. I wish like crazy I could take anti-inflammatory meds regularly -- I feel like this would be hugely helpful -- but stomach problems make that impossible. I had to be on my feet and moving a lot yesterday and noticed that wrapping my knee snugly in an ace bandage seemed to help the pain, so it's good to know there is something I can do to help.
 
Reporting back after my six-month visit. The OS says he isn’t concerned with my PAIN, just my woefully deficient ROM. Think it was only about 100 degrees (?). He said he could put me to sleep and make it bend, but he feels it would just get stiff again. And then blah, blah, blah (think the adults in a Charlie Brown cartoon), new research says it can take two years to recover from TKR, I should work harder at making it bend, and he’d see me in six months. All in all, not real helpful.
Adding injury to injury, I have a torn miniscus in my “good” knee that is really giving me fits since I’ve had to rely on it so much. Hoping some PT exercises can help it because surgery is unthinkable right now.
A friend told me she had a “Bemer” device (uses electromagnetic waves or something) that has helped her with orthopedic pain. It is safe for folks with implants. Anyone familiar with that? At this point I’m willing to try anything if it can’t hurt me.
 
I'm glad your surgeon isn't pushing MUA (manipulation under anesthesia) and is advising time and working at achieving more flexion. Because you still have pain you should concentrate on resting, elevating to reduce swelling, icing and just letting the knee heal. Continue your daily activities and walk as able. Too bad your "good" knee is now acting up. :sad:

A Bemer (or PEMF) device uses pulsed electromagnetic waves to improve circulation. I'm not familiar with it, but a bit of quick research showed that the cheapest units cost several hundred dollars. It sounds interesting but not much is yet known about it. :shrug:
 
Hello @Murry. I am a fellow South Carolinian. I see that you are 4 months ahead of me in your TKR and was interested in your experienced insight. Especially since it seems you struggled in the weeks after your surgery also. Mine was Apr 2 2018 so I'm at 11 weeks. I'm so frustrated! I hurt when I walk and feel so limited in what I can do. I walk with a limp because of the pain. Went on a small shopping excursion yesterday and am paying the price today! Sometimes I wonder if this will be my lot in life.
 
11 weeks is still very early, and also felt limitations. Cooling and elevating your knee after an outing is helping to reduced discomfort for the next day. The pain lessen as time goes on, then gradually the knee is not for most on your mind. But time is what heals.
 
Thank you @Mutti3. I’m so ready to be active again and am having a hard time not being depressed after almost 3 months of this! The doctors, I think, should prepare you more and not paint such a rosy picture.
 
I had revision surgery 2 weeks ago today, so I am in my 3rd knee rehab. My current therapist recommended a TENS machine, and I admit I was skeptical, but no longer. It cost about $26 on Amazon and while I don't enjoy the feeling, I do think it is helping the pain.
 
I'm almost 7 months out of surgery and I need a pep talk or some advice (again) about my recovery.

I've been icing, elevating, and resting, doing as many normal activities as I can, but I seem to be stuck in a bad place with pain and inflammation. (For the benefit of anyone reading this who hasn't read my other posts, I can't take anti-inflammatory meds because even small doses cause severe gastritis.) I continue to take Tramadol (50 mg, 2 or 3 times a day) and Tylenol. I've decreased the amount of Tramadol I'm taking because I don't like the idea of staying on high levels of a prescription painkiller, but as a result, I have pretty significant pain if I'm up and on my feet.

I saw my OS a few weeks ago and I'm not scheduled to see him again for six months, but I'm wondering if I should push him to figure out why this still hurts so much and why I'm still walking like Quasimodo this far out from surgery. Anyone else experience a good bit of pain at this stage of their recovery? Should I be concerned?
 
I can't explain your persistent pain, so I'm going to ask @Josephine to advise you.
 
The only thing I can do is to ask you the questions again! (not being gifted with insight!) So here goes! The edited version anyway

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications are you taking, how much do you take (in mg please) and how often?

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom