SusieShoes
Former BoneSmart staff member
How long would you all (all forum users who read this) consider the "early weeks of recovery" to be?
Well, seeing as you asked... I would call the first 12 weeks "early recovery." The first six weeks are prioritized to your body, because your body takes about that long (more or less, bodies being different from person to person) to complete the first stages of physical recovery: replace lost blood, get a good start on knitting damaged tissue together, make new bone, seal the skin, and do all that it needs to do inside the knee capsule --which was really traumatized. Six weeks is where lots of people start to feel better, but...
They're not there yet. They're still healing. Yes, the major work is in place, but just like with building a skyscraper, just because you can see there's a building taking shape, that doesn't mean it's ready for habitation. Lots of stuff isn't in working order yet. Same with the body. It's still building, repairing, and pulling back some of the scaffolding it put up to do the initial part of the job: swelling, for instance. Getting rid of swelling is what allows the new stuff and old stuff (the things not damaged by the surgery) to start working together as a team. And that part takes about... six more weeks.
So most people (but not all people) by 12 weeks are doing pretty well. They have lots less swelling, so lots less pain. They are doing more, and feeling better. But they're not recovered yet. They're entering a transitional phase of recovery. For my own recovery, I called it consolidation, but I don't think there's an "official" term for it. It's the phase where I noticed I was consolidating my gains: my energy was returning (if I didn't do too much); my brain fog was clearing; I could sit for longer periods (but not for too long); I could stand for a half-hour (yay!); I could walk for a longer periods without suffering consequences (but I still had to listen to my knee to make sure it wasn't for too long); I could sleep more normally (thank the Lord!); and I needed much less pain control. In fact, at the end of this period, I needed no pain control.
That period lasted another three months. At six months, then, is where yes, a person has left behind the "early days." They've entered late recovery, but I'd say even late recovery has two phases, because I notice a big difference between six months and ten months! I haven't made it to my full year yet, so I'll hold off any pronouncements about at what point I felt fully recovered. I will say I felt quite recovered after the six month period, and more and more as time went on.
Patience is difficult. I have to admit looking back is WAY easier than being in the middle of it.

United States