Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Journey

Hello all! I haven’t been on in a while but I’m still here. My surgical knee is great but still have some pain when doing a lot of walking. My other knee has gotten worse but I have to wait until I get insurance again, so I can get it looked at. Hopeful I can get it replaced soon. One week ago my back started hurting on the worsening knee side. It’s painful to bend over and lift things. I’m trying to be positive though. I figure it’s because of my bad knee. It is what it is, right?
 
Hi Beckadeez, nice to see you again. I’m sorry you have some new issues, it seems for most of us if it isn’t one thing it’s something else.

My back flared up last week. Honestly, I didn’t do anything to cause it. I woke up with it one morning. :banghead:

Great that your knee is coming along!
 
If we didn't have aches and pains we wouldn't appreciate the times when we don't!
 
Hi knee twin! Sorry to hear about losing your insurance. That will happen to us soon as my husband is retiring (he is 63 and I just turned 60.) So I was glad I could get both knees done first. I'm going to apply for disability and then hopefully early Medicare. Otherwise we will be looking at a cost sharing company if ACA is too outrageous.
 
I scheduled my other knee replacement for January 2019. I can’t wait to be pain free.
 
Hi, Beckadeez, Best Wishes for the next one!
 
Yay! You will soon have two brand new knees!
 
I had my knee replacement on January 7. I’m fixing to be discharged from the hospital. The day of surgery was horrible. NOTHING was helping my pain. A muscle relaxer did the trick. So, if anyone has pain that isn’t resolved by pain medication, ask for a muscle relaxer. I suffered and don’t want anyone else to. I’m feeling ok now and can’t wait to get home. Still happy for this forum. I love you all!
 
Welcome back! I’m so sorry you had a rough start but sure glad things are better!

Here’s a refresher course of the Recovery Guidelines!

Knee Recovery: Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only
ONE Recovery Thread.
This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
Hey there, @Beckadeez! Welcome back to Bonesmart. Home is the best place for you! You know what to do. Interesting about the muscle relaxers. Your hint just might help others!
 
I had to fight for them, so don’t give up. I suffered the whole day of surgery with unresolved pain and inadequate pain relief
 
One week since surgery. This replacement has been more difficult in terms of pain, but it’s gradually getting better.
 
As we always remind our members every TKR is different - even on the same person. Sorry you are struggling with pain this time. Hope things ease for you soon!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom