TKR Back again in 2021 ☺

My skin did weird things for a while post op. I figured it was just upset like the rest of my body.

I've noticed the skin right along my incision keeps flaking off every 2-3 days.I'm moisturizing and being careful not shave over it in the shower, but it still keeps flaking. I told myself this morning it must mean things are still healing and good things are going on inside there. :)

Way to go Bonesmart !!! Just been for my 6 week PT assessment. ROM as follows: flexion 110, extension+2. Only the 2nd PT I have had, explained bonesmart philosophy, PT lady totally agreed, delighted with my numbers and getting back to all my usual ADLs, Seeing OS tomorrow, hopefully will be signed off to drive. Only a little swelling left now, she reckons when that goes I will be down to 0 extension no problem. Next discussion will be when to have right tkr, OS was suggesting Sept or January, but not sure I am mentally ready for that yet!!!!
@sistersinhim, @Jockette, @Josephine, @Rockgirl4, @lisabl, @Celle and everyone else too !!!!

Wowzers! Your recovery is amazing! This is such encouraging news to those of us that are behind you! Bonesmart philosophy is definitely the way to go, and it’s great to hear that PT is in agreement with that. Your OS will be pleased with your progress tomorrow :thumb:

Just had my 6week appointment with my OS. He is delighted with ROM and my x-rays. Can drive again (yippee). No PT unless I want to request some. His advice was go and use your knee, but listen to it as it will tell you when it has had enough. Can build up dog walks gradually. Will keep an eye on my weight, I have lost 1stone since op and will aim to only put half back on!! Will go back and see him in 6 months for check up. Discussed right tkr and he agrees April wd be good. Feeling great. Thanks to all here on bonesmart xxxx

Hi all. Back to physio for my end of week 8 assessment. She was very pleased that flexion now 110 to 115 degrees and extension now 0 degrees. I explained I only do about 5mins exercise a day, the rest is all ADLs - there are a lot of ADLs when you have a busy 13 year old and 2 dogs!! Have cut painkillers down to 2×1000mg paracetamol day and am aiming to be down to 1×1000mg in a few weeks. Knee can be a bit stiff sometimes, but soon loosens up. I managed to walk down a fairly steep little woodland path today, which was impossible for at least the last six months before my tkr. Pleased with my progress. At the early stages I never thought I would get to this point, so take heart all of you struggling through the early weeks. It really does get better. Xx

Joy - at last the super sensitive area on the medial side of my knee has stopped being so ridiculously sensitive. That is a great relief. It is still a bit sensitive to touch but I can now have the bedclothes touch it and wear jeans again!

:yahoo::yay:What a wonderful recovery you are having. The Bonesmart way really works!

It certainly does!! Plus many thanks for all the advice and support i received here!! Wishing you all a good recovery x

Have had 2 absolutely manic busy days as it is my daughter's 13th birthday today!! Been on my feet for hours and doing way too much. Am icing poor Katy knee and have taken a couple of paracetamol tabs. So pleased that i was able to do it all though! I was able to walk around clothes shopping with her for a good few hours without my stick yesterday, plus clean house and cater for 13 at the family party today - this tkr has really made me feel years younger!! Long may it continue!!

Nearly 1 year since my last post here! Knee has been a HUGE success. Regular 1 mile dog walks, slight stiffness but I can exercise it out. Back to all my usual life. My other knee was scheduled for April 2020 but Covid-19 has put an end to that. Not sorry though as my new knee, combined with losing 18 lbs, and normal exercise means that right knee much less painful so can hold off for another year I hope. This forum was a sanity-saver for me. Hello to anyone who remembers me... Take heart any who are just starting this journey, you will get through it xx

What a great testimony on the benefits of a tkr! Thank you for letting those healing now that things will be worth it!

Awesome report!

Dear all. I was here in 2017 following a left hip replacement, then in 2019 with left tkr and now back in 2021 following right tkr. Had surgery 11 Sept 2021 and am back at home on the rest, PT and pain management trail again!! Very pleased so far, less bruising, less swelling and better movement. Any old hands remember my previous journeys?

@dogwalker2
:welome: back to BoneSmart.
Sounds like your last recovery went pretty well with the normal Ups and Downs.
Hopefully you are on the way to an uneventful recovery.

Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

:wave: I remember you, welcome back! Best wishes for an uneventful recovery!

Thanks ladies. I had much less swelling this time and much better movement and so have, predictably, been doing way too much. Have re-read the elevation section and realised i have not elevated at all !!! Am currently making a pillow stack☺

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009