TKR Back again in 2021 ☺

Here is a link to your old thread from 2019.
 
@dogwalker2
Your threads have been merged, hope this makes it easier for you to find the information you may want for your second TKR.
 
Well, day 11 after my 2nd TKR. Sleeping ok from 2am-7am. Cannot get to sleep before 2am as I am suffering with restless legs. That is driving me slightly mad, but nothing seems to work and if it follows TKR1 then it will gradually dissipate. Pain levels not too bad with 4 x 1000mg paracetamol during the day and 1xNefpam at night. I have ibuprofen on hand in case of any pain breakthrough. As before I am doing only very gentle knee bend and straightening exercises and the rest is ADLs. Going back to hospital tomorrow for wound check, dressing change and to get a starting measurement for ROM. I am using the Cryocuff to ice and elevate every 2 hours. Beginning the slow march back to fitness!!
 
Hi there Benne68. How are you managing? I had forgotten how tough these first 2/3 weeks can be. Sometimes it seems all is going well - I am pretty mobile and pain is not too bad in the day but at night it is another story! I cannot get comfy on my back, I cannot get comfy on my pillow stack and I get chronic restless legs. Am feeling a little sorry for myself as I lie here at 2am and my husband, daughter and 2 dogs are asleep and snoring. Hey ho.
 
Had my baseline first physio today. Pleased to find that I am doing things correctly and she was perfectly happy when i explained that most of my exercise was from ADL with just a few gentle bends and stretches. My ROM was good with a flexion of 90 degrees and an extension of +5. She checked my scar and confirmed that the staples must come out on Friday so that is great (!!). It's a 30min drive to the hospital and my Knee is now swollen and painful (it really does not like travelling!) So am icing, elevating and going to try for a bit more sleep.
 
Hi there Benne68. How are you managing? I had forgotten how tough these first 2/3 weeks can be. Sometimes it seems all is going well - I am pretty mobile and pain is not too bad in the day but at night it is another story! I cannot get comfy on my back, I cannot get comfy on my pillow stack and I get chronic restless legs. Am feeling a little sorry for myself as I lie here at 2am and my husband, daughter and 2 dogs are asleep and snoring. Hey ho.

My first few days weren't too bad -- except for some queziness from the meds. When I finished my course of Tormodol, the nausea went away, but the pain has become more intense. Like you, i seem to have the most pain at night. My husband is a snorer, which rarely bothered me before - but now drives me crazy!
 
I'm with you there on the snoring!! Our 2 cavalier king Charles spaniels share the bed with us and the older one snores like a train - makes a weird duet with my husband . I actually slept much better last night, managing 12-6.30 with a quick break at 4.30 for a bathroom trip. I am having a quiet day today as my staples are now too tight for any exercise except walking.
 
Hi all. I have a question. I had my staples out today (all 32 of them!) which was fine, but the health assistant who did them said the scar was OK(ish) and put a steri strip on the midpoint and suggested I should either put on more strips or support the scar when i bend my leg. Well that has freaked me out well and truly!! I thought it looked ok, there are always a couple of places where the join is not perfect but now I am really worried when I bend my knee in case the scar splits (sorry, gross thought). My next physio is Wednesday and I am really quite worried. Do you think I should use the extra steri strips, is the scar likely to split when the knee bends (just ADL not PT)?? When i do bend it (sit down, walk)I can feel a real burn on the scarline, but no bleeding or anything..
 
I had steri strips every quarter inch on my incision. Surprised they only used one on your knee.
If it were me I would use more steri strips, just for peace of mind.
Just do ADL for a few days and see if it starts feeling better.
 
Do you think I should use the extra steri strips, is the scar likely to split when the knee bends (just ADL not PT)?? When i do bend it (sit down, walk)I can feel a real burn on the scarline, but no bleeding or anything.
@dogwalker2 I too felt burning and pulling along the incision but I didn't open it up doing stretches or riding the bike for range of motion. I am 7 weeks post op and still feel burning when I stretch.
 
That does sound safer. When mine were removed, they left a couple on each knee in for another week because there were a few spots that looked wide. I was really glad about that. When those were finally removed, they put steristrips on those places. I would have freaked too if they hadn’t done that.
 
Back
Top Bottom