TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ellen ... So excited to hear of your great, busy day. You managed it very well AND did PT AND climbed stairs AND did a full rotation on the bike AND reached 120 ROM. My word - if I could jump for joy for you, I would. Maybe I will just do this :spin:.

You have a challenging couple of days again at the end of the week, so I hope you can take it easy until Thursday (bearing in mind I have no idea what day it is in US). Keep up with the pain meds.

I too only sleep in 1 and a half to 2 hour stretches, but I must admit it is because I have to go to the loo and I can get back to sleep afterwards, so I do feel for you not being able to go back to sleep after a short stretch. What you need is for me to be talking to you - that seem to work for lots of other people. OR I could sing - it works for littlies - they realise the only way to shut me up is to go to sleep and stay asleep. :snork:

I don't think it's horrible that you are a leetle bit pleased your PT superman has at least one problem - it's just being human. I have one of those at work who had a TKR 9 weeks ago now, is back at work and has been for a couple of weeks, walks with no aids and shoves her darn leg under her chair with ease. :headbang: Of course I am happy for her - of course I am.:whistle:

I do hope you manage more sleep Ellen and can get through the catering at the end of the week with the same positive attitude you manager your busy day.

Take Care ... do as little as possible considering your situation and be kind to yourself ...
Ellen :bicycle1:
 
Congratulations! You will feel so much better when you have a good nights sleep :sleep: @Dog Lover
Hello again! A good night's sleep after all you put your knee through?:gaah: This is your knee is telling you about
With the pain, swelling, and more that your knee was subjected to it is a wonder that you can sleep at all!

thanks @bottomshollow . As Jamie will tell you; I seem to have an issue following sage advice ;-) [/ quote]

We have been "in the trenches". We have felt the pain of overdoing it and paying the price! Funny how some of take advice and some continue to push. If I had listened to the "wise sages" advice, my revision would have been textbook! Recovery would have been a lot faster and so on. We pay for the amount of stuff we subject our knee to in the early going.:groan:

i was talking to the gentleman who had surgery the same day I did who pretty much jogs thru PT like he's there for fun and I asked him if, since he was doing so much better than everyone else, he was having trouble sleeping!

I have a saying for you! One thing I have learned about Men and rehab is that they want to make it appear that they are tough and can handle anything!:doh: Well the fact that he has trouble sleeping, means he is an "overachiever" also.:yikes: You never see him when he goes home and deals w his knee.

I hope you will listen to Jamie's advice or some other person on here. Life is SO much easier if you learn from OUR mistakes!:console2:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
    image.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 141
Good morning! Your thread is the first one I've read today, and it has lifted my spirits...I am so happy you had such a good day yesterday! And you hit 120!! :egypdance: That is awesome!!

Today you may pay the price for yesterday's success...that seems to be what happens to me...so just be kind to yourself today. If you don't have to leave to go to work, today would be a good day to strap on the ice machine, gather the pups around you, and watch a couple of chick flicks...I must say, I've enjoyed (napped through) a lot of Turner Classic Movies during my recovery...

Just keep in mind you are moving forward, and you will eventually reach your goals. I hope you have a pain free, relaxing day!
 
:loll::egypdance::loll::loll:@NetballKnees , the though of any of us 'jumping for joy' right now provided me with a good laugh. Thank you for that! And thank you for your kind words and encouragement. They are much appreciated! Yes, although I am a little scare, okay a lot, of what this week holds for me, I am going to do my best to do things in little spurts and then elevate, ice & rest in between. I don't want to undo the progress that I've made, that's for sure. Hmmmm, about your singing...... well, I always tell people on their birthday's that my gift to them is that I promise NOT to sing :) I hope you're having a wonderful day

@RestAssured , I trust the advice given on here by you, Jamie and everyone else and know that I need to follow it. I also know that I haven't always done that. It's not because I'm hard headed and stubborn....er, okay, maybe a bit, but I DO have things that are unavoidable. I just need to make smarter decisions. I wish I had nothing that needed to be done and I could just abide by the mantra, but I promise you that I am going to go SLOW and take many many breaks to take care of me and my knee. I won't get frustrated that things are taking me 10 times longer to do because I know that's just how it needs to be. I love that you guys haven't given up on me and keep reminding and encouraging me! It honestly didn't even occur to me to cancel PT yesterday or to at least not be so gung ho about it. Although it makes perfect sense that I should have, it just didn't occur to me yesterday until it was pointed out to me. I think I dodged a bullet on that one as I'm not too much worse for the wear today *knock on wood and please don't jinx me*. I'm a little stiff, swollen and sore, but I am icing and elevating and will continue to do so.

@Ziggysmom , good morning to you!!! Yours is one of the 1st I look for as well each day! Thanks so much for being excited for me! It's so nice to have that support. Aside from having to go to Costco :groan: today, I am going to take it very easy. I will go as soon as they open, grab a little electric cart, and be in and out in 20 minutes (i have the store memorized i go so often), come straight home and hop back in bed. What are your plans for the day? How are you feeling, my friend? I hope you have a terrific day with not too many aches and pains but filled with LOTS of Ziggy kisses!:puppysmooze: We are BOTH on the road to recovery, so we need to keep our eyes on the prize! :_
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you are getting some naps in to compensate for the lack of sleep at night :yawn::thud: I'm a real grump without my sleep:gaah:
 
Haha, me too Chihuahuan! Although I haven't been able to nap much since my surgery, that's pretty much all I've been able to do today. Although my knee isn't hugely sore after yesterday, I'm just exhausted today and not feeling very well at all. I can't seem to muster the energy to do anything today. It's not like I'm getting a cold or anything like that, I just feel blecky....
 
Well, my knee's displeasure with my extended outing yesterday was a bit delayed, but it's here. Kinda hoped I'd dodged that bullet, but no such luck. Sitting here with my little ice water circulating cuff on my propped up swollen knee. I think maybe you could refer to my thread as a 'what not to do to move recovery along' example. :-( I'm quite certain tomorrow will be better though....
 
You are definitely having some of these struggles because you've had to go back to work already. But we all have had to figure out the balance and accommodations we can make to our individual situations. Trial and error stinks but it often is the only way.
 
I know that blecky feeling --always get it when I've done too much --think it's another form of fatigue. It does go away after some rest. When do you see the doctor to request the Ambien?
 
I see my OS on Tuesday morning. I have a BIG ole list of things to ask him about meds and stuff as well as my 'wish list' for more Oxy, Tramadol as my 'step down' and something to help me sleep. I was actually suprised I was able to nap today but i know that was pretty much because i didn't feel well - not a terrific trade off.....

When is your followup @Chihuahuan ? Should be coming up since you're a week ahead of me, huh?
 
I'm curious. We all know I am so NOT the poster child for the BoneSmart Mantra, but I do my best. If I overdo one day, I try to do nothing the next. We all know that I overdid yesterday. Today, I tried to do a lot of nothing (aside from a trip to Costco 1st thing this morning). I've read the progression of activity schedule that Jo made for everyone. I actually don't do exercises at home ~ I only do them at PT :x. I don't take walks around the block (mainly because I can't get anyone to go with me and I'm afraid to go alone). Here's my question. Even if I'm cooking, I basically walk the 12 steps to my kitchen and then maybe 25 annoying back and forths for ingredients. I sit a lot when cooking and I can't really see how doing that is MORE than going for a 20 minute walk around the block + exercises. My knee is killing me today. It wasn't until later this afternoon (it actually felt kinda good this morning) and has gotten progressively worse. It's tight, and swollen and sore (probably a pretty consistent 3), I've got a big ole' limp this afternoon and my flexion is doo-doo. Does the fact that I have tile floors make things worse? Guess I'm just trying to figure this out. Even when I think I'm doing great and following the 'rules', I have issues. Any input would be appreciated. @Jamie ? What do you think? Am I just looking for excuses as I always seem to be playing catch up with my doing nothing?
 
My knee is killing me today. It wasn't until later this afternoon (it actually felt kinda good this morning) and has gotten progressively worse. It's tight, and swollen and sore (probably a pretty consistent 3)
You have to give up trying to figure out why your knee is acting up---I tried and tried to figure it out---all to no avail.
Does the fact that I have tile floors make things worse? Guess I'm just trying to figure this out.
Do not even try to figure this out---and I doubt that the tile floors---I seriously doubt that the tile floors---have anything aat all to do with your roller coaster ride. Remember---that is what recovery is---a roller coaster die---and the knee will be a "problem child" every now and then for no apparent reason.
Even when I think I'm doing great and following the 'rules', I have issues.
You are doing everything you can---just hang in there---as these days in recovery can be trying and frustrating times.

I see that you are just a tad over five weeks---my knees after my BTKR would challenge me for close to five months---and it was quite frustrating at times. It took me six months before I felt at 80%-85%. Eight months before I was 90%-95%.

Do not try to figure things out---just strap yourself into the roller coaster ride and let the knee take you where it wants to go, so to speak---the knee will eventually settle down---I promise you!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:goodpost: Tim is right, it takes time for knees to heal. Please slow down as you best you can, your knee will thank you.
Poster child... most of us belong to the ODIC club, it is just the way it is.
Take care, and take it easy,
 
Ellen.....sweetie......you need to look up the definition of "doing nothing." The day you described is NOT "nothing."

You made a trip to Costco. That means you got ready, dressed, got in the car, drove there, parked, walked in, walked wherever you went in a HUGE store, stood in line to pay, walked back to your car, loaded things in the car, drove home, unloaded your booty, then put it away at home. Whew!!! Just THAT isn't "nothing."

When you are cooking, you are moving around a lot. Even if you don't stand, you are mixing, adjusting your position on a stool, jumping up and down to make those 25 annoying steps around the kitchen and you have your uniced knees upright so that they can swell. This is the equivilent of a PT session or more! Think of each of those up and downs from the stool as a "squat" exercise. When mixing ingredients, my guess is your body is moving around and you are pressing your feet against the floor or stool rungs for leverage. At any rate, you're not sitting peacefully. You're working!!! If you spend 20 minutes or more with this prep work, you've overdone it most likely.

Now I'm not suggesting that you stop what you're doing because I understand that you feel you must do this work. But you need to recognize it for what it is.....WORK!!! It is not resting. It is not "doing nothing." And, you can expect to get the pain and swelling that you're getting.

You are slightly over 4 weeks out from this surgery. Just attempting a trip to Costco by yourself at this point is HUGE and something most people don't or can't do. You need to be more honest with yourself about what all you're doing.

And, yes.....tile floors might contribute some. But the real problem is your high level of activity on a daily basis.

So here is the dictionary definition for you :) slightly modified for a BoneSmartie that I care about:

Doing nothing - noun. [dew-wing nuth-ing] English, Bonesmart definition.
1. Nothingness. Not any thing. Naught. Spending the entire day and night with nothing on your plate and no productive accomplishment: (i.e., watching the entire series of "Desperate Housewives" or the "Golden Years of World Wrestling") 2. Showing no part, share or trace of anything productive for the day other than resting, icing, elevating and taking pain medications on a schedule: (bathroom trips and small excursions to the kitchen to get something to eat are okay) 3. Nonexistence, nothingness: Her household chores faded the point of doing nothing. 4. Something of no importance or significance: Earning money is nothing when you're without your health.
 
Thanks @referee54 & @Pumpkln . Such an annoying habit of mine; trying to wrap my head around all the whys and why nots of everything ...... guess that's another lovely aspect of my controlling nature ;-) kinda like a toddler asking 'why' all the time. I appreciate the responses!
 
*hanging my head in shame* thank you @Jamie . I kinda thought I was evening things out with what 'was allowed'. Just for the record though, I rode the electric cart in Costco. ;-) There is NO WAY I would attempt to walk that huge store. OMG, even I"M not that delusional to think I could do that. :heehee:

Starting Sunday, I don't have anything aside from cooking for my old couple twice next week, a follow up with my OS and PT. Maybe I can get it right then ;-) Unless it's BIG $$$, I'll turn down any last minute catering jobs that may pop up. :) (gotta save up for my next knee, ya' know) ;-)
 
No shame, hon.....you have TONS of company who have difficulty slowing down the pace of their very busy lives to a snail crawl. I know it's tough. Even more so when you have your own business to maintain and life's bills to pay. I appreciate that you took my comments in the way they were intended.....something to maybe make you smile and to help you with recovery!

And....I know we must be having a good influence on you.....YOU RODE THE CART!!! :yay:

You're going to be okay. Tim is right.....time does help and things will improve each week. I sure like the sounds of your schedule (or lack-of-schedule) for the coming weeks, though. If you can stick to that for the most part, I believe you'll see some real progress by 2-3 months. Hang in there!!!!
 
guess that's another lovely aspect of my controlling nature ;-)
Many of us---myself included---had to learn that we are not in charge---and, again, for many of us---this was a frustrating time as we were/are control freaks.

We had to understand and come to terms that there was very little that we could do---follow the Bonesmart Mantra and let things take care of themselves and sort themselves out. In the end, recovery occurs, but the knee is in charge and sets the schedule.
we all tried to figure ways around this, but recovery is not linear---it looks more like the stock market report.
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
You are going to have ups and downs, but the trend is slowly on the up-side. The more you try to figure out what causes those days that are "Stinker"s, the crazier you will get.

Just focus on the the horizon--the destination is there---and take it one day at a time.
 
Thank you Tim. You all are terrific.

And yes, Jamie you all ARE a great influence on me (truth be told, I ride those little carts whenever I can). I honestly don't know what I would have don't had I not found BS and all of you. Actually, I do. I would be convinced that I wasn't trying hard enough and I'd be going even further in the wrong direction than I already am. ;-) Kidding, I know I'm not going in the wrong direction, I just know I'm not helping my situation any.

Guess I should clarify that that's just my schedule for next week. I WILL try to keep things to a minimum though. And try to keep my big stuff to no more than twice, okay, maybe 3 times a month. :heehee:

Thank you for all you do on here Jamie. And yes, I always take the advice given in the spirit that it was meant. Just glad Jo hasn't gotten ahold of me yet. :angel:
 
We get a little antsy at this time---it has been over a month or so and we begin to "test our wings" and wonder why things are moving a little more slowly than we would like them too. We think---"hey, it has been long enough...what is going on!"

You had a TKR on December 16th---and now you are at January 21st---remember---it takes six weeks for the knee joint simply to heal---not recover!

You just need to relax (I know that that is easier said than done!) and kick back and let your knee chart its course. The more you try to figure things out---the more you try to chart the course, the more the knee will dictate who (or what) is in charge.
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Patience, Grasshopper, Patience!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom