TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I screwed up today :sad: woke up in a funk and couldn't shake it all day. I'm also probably partially dehydrated from crying so much at my repeated pity parties today. My knee has been giving me fits today. Very sore, tight, swollen and just all around cruddy. Kinda matches my attitude today darn it. I've been charting my meds lately in an attempt to figure out a schedule and combination that works for me. I'm still taking 5mg Oxycontin, 500mg Tylenol & 500mg Naproxen. My OS 'thinks' he cut me back to 1 oxy every 6 hours, so today I gave it a shot and filled in the gaps with 3000mg of Tylenol and 1000mg of Naproxen. Guess what? It doesn't work for me. At all. Yet. Not sure why I keep trying to fiddle with my medications, but I do. I've iced and elevated almost all day long and it hasn't helped much. I'd like to say lesson learned, but I will inevitably try it again. Kinda like banging my head against a wall.

I guess I wonder how everyone else was able to gradually step down their medications? How did you figure out what worked?
 
Well, Ellen...one problem I would say you have is that it's not time for you to step down your meds yet. That's what all this is telling you! You are just 4 1/2 weeks out! I took full doses of my hydrocodone every 4 hours for 6 weeks. Others needed this much pain relief as well.

If your doctor insists that you lower the doses of oxy, ask if he will prescribe hydrocodone at 2 pills every 4 hours for you until you are ready to start cutting back.
 
Well here's my two cents for what it's worth!:whistle: My Mom is turning 73 in Feb. and she runs circles around me! If this "elderly" couple wants to help you, it means they are able. Let them help and it will make their day because they were able to contribute. You cooked the meal, they still do the stairs every day, let them carry the stuff instead of you possibly falling and having complications with your knee.
 
@Jamie , I'm sure you're ready to virtually smack me as this isn't the 1st time you've told me not to try and step down my meds yet and I've done it anyway. I promise I'm going to listen this time! No, really, I am! I was worried that I was starting to have stomach issues on top of that whole delusional, 'i can do it' mentality. Thank you for always being so kind and for not giving up on me! ;-) You're very sweet.

Thanks @RestAssured . I am going to let them help me tomorrow. I guess having them put in some work carrying food down the stairs is better than them trying to scrape my sorry tush off the pavement should i fall ;-)
 
No smacks, hon.....just want you comfortable!!! So, when you stray, I'll softly nudge you again. It's one of the hardest things for us to do. I know....I've been there too and just wanted to GET ON WITH IT ALREADY!!! You'll get there. Patience. And here's hoping you don't have a crazy surgeon who things you should be cutting back. Some of them do. And for those guys, I pray they need their knees and hips done SOON so they can get real.
 
(((((hugs)))))
Ellen take it easy as best you can tomorrow, take your Meds, and let others help you, so you can continue to help them.
I agree with Jamie, let these fellows walk with our knees and hips, they will soon get with the program.
Hope you get some rest tonight, drink plenty of water, it will get better.
 
Hi Ellen ... Just wondering if the reason why you keep fiddling with your meds is because you can control the medication taking? The knee - well it does what it wants, as we all find out - but the medication is something you can organise, re-organise, change and amend, not always to good effect, but it is something you have control over. Just a thought??????????????

I did the wrong thing with my medication too and only took the Endone when I felt I needed it. After a talking to (very gently) from Josephine, I took them at set times for a few days until they were all gone. Then, of course, GP and OS would not give me any more, so I just used Panadol Osteo at set times. Then I went back to taking the Osteo only at night, if I thought I needed it, but have resumed taking something every 4 hours or so since my return to work. It is only Panadol or Nurofen though. But I do have a lot of trouble equating swelling and tightness with actual pain. :scratch:

Thinking of you and hoping your day improves. Hugs ... Ellen
 
@NetballKnees , are you calling me controlling? :angel: Because I TOTALLY am! :heehee: It's that ridiculous thing I do that when everything else seems to completely out of my control, I grab onto the one thing that is within my control. As usual, I tend to screw things up that was. It's hard to teach and old dog new tricks, ya' know?!

@Jamie , yes, my OS & his SA think I should be stepping down my meds and feel that Tylenol is a good 'filler' (it's not). I think I've fiddled enough already to be able to hoard enough Oxys to go back to my original dosage of 2x5mg every 4-6 hours until my next followup a week from Monday. I'll need to stand my ground at that visit though and explain that it's not working for me - yet. That my goal IS to be able to step down, but that I'm not there yet. Hoping to walk out of there with a script for more oxy, tramadol for when I'm ready to step down & ambien (so I can get have just ONE night of restful sleep for more than 45 minutes).

Thanks @Pumpkln ~ I actually have a long day ahead of me tomorrow with my longest outing yet comprised of 3 different appointments ending with PT, so I hope I didn't screw up too bad today....

Thanks all for your encouragement and understanding! I have no clue what I'd do if I hadn't have found this site and all you wonderful people!!! xoxoxxo
 
Did you rest, elevate, and use your polar ice cube? How about those pain meds. There is a difference in being controlling, and letting your knee get some relief! Ask for a step down drug like Jamie suggested! :console2:
 
Yes @RestAssured , I used my ice machine and had my leg elevated every minute I wasn't standing on it yesterday. :)

I would like to report that today is off to a better start, but that would be a big ole' lie. I was only able to sleep for 1.5 hours last night and have been in level 4 type pain since last night even though I went back to the higher doses. I know it will take time to catch back up, I'm just so mad at myself.

I finally gave up trying to sleep and got out of bed @6 and took a shower which usually feels great for my knee when I run warm water over it. Not today. I am dreading having to leave the house in 2 hours as I'll be gone so long today (@6 hours) and that will be my longest outing out. Paired with the fact that my knee is stiff and tight and hurts, it's not looking to be a great day.

On top of it all, I just got a call from one of my favorite/best clients about a last minute job she has for me on Thursday. Where I would normally be excited as it's a good piece of business, knowing that I'm catering on Friday as well, and knowing it's going to be too much for me with additional trips to the store and lots of prep time, I'm just a mess and want to cry. Oh wait, i've already done that twice today and it's only 8:30am. :(

I can't wait for the day when I actually am able to write a positive and uplifting post again. It's been a while. I'm just so frustrated with everything and am fully aware that it's my fault that I'm having such a hard time. I wish I had another option, but I don't. I need to get my pain back under control again as my knee hasn't hurt this much in a while. Oh, and some sleep would be nice too. ;)

sorry for being a whiny sad sac again today...... xoxoxo
 
Last edited by a moderator:
K, enough of this feeling sorry for myself. I'm no different from anyone else. I have to decide to have a good day and deal with whatever the day brings. I'm sorry I've been sounding like my situation is a bad one - it's not - i'm lucky in many ways - I just get frustrated with having to do everything on my own but that's just how it is. Here's my good news for the day - with all my crying and stomach not feeling well, I think I've lost a couple of pounds :heehee: how was that for a 1st attempt at being positive?

Everyone on here is so brave and deals with different levels of pains and challenges every day. I'm proud of you all for doing so well. This is all a means to an end and will all be worth it :)
 
@doglover3 so sorry you are having a bad day. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate which makes me seem even more of a wimp cos I am doing naff all except watching copious amounts of daytime tv. Surely you need to be doing less but I know it is hard when you have to work. I am thinking of you. I am so lucky to have Hoppy Nanny here this week.......
 
:happydance:I did it! I did it! I did it! I got through my day and didn't give up, didn't get down on myself and didn't even cry! :happydance: I managed the steps at my little older couple's house a-ok. I allowed them to help me and they were very sweet about everything and making sure I was okay. He even insisted on walking back up the stairs with me to make sure I got to my car okay when I left. I had some time to kill before my next appointment so stopped at one of my favorite gourmet grocery stores and as I was in a snooty part of town, this rude woman, who could clearly see I was struggling (i had my crutches in the cart and was limping slowly behind it while grimacing in pain) actually cut in line at the check out counter! :shocked: Ya' know what? The checkout lady saw her do it and told her that she was going to help me first as I was clearly in pain. I thought that was very sweet.

After that I iced my knee for a bit in the parking lot and went about the rest of my day. Made it to my next appointment okay and then finished up with PT. I even went up to the PT room without using my crutches or cane! Just me and my very slow, very big limp. My knee has been very swollen, sore and tight today but I managed it okay. I asked my therapist to please help me with stairs as I have them in my house and would like to make it up the 2nd floor confidently one of these days. ;-) Little did I know he was going to march me out of the building to walk up and down the steps outside! And I did it! Here's his tip to remember when it comes to stairs: "good goes to heaven, bad goes to h*ll", meaning when going UP stairs, you lead with your GOOD leg 1st. When coming DOWN stairs, you lead with your bad leg. That means that you've always got your stronger leg taking the brunt of the bends and stability. :) I did all my exercises and was even able to do full rotations on the bike. I asked him to measure me today. Even through the swelling and tightness, I measured at 120!!!!! +10 from last week! :dancy: Having been 'stuck' at 90 for more than 2 weeks, I feared that I would never gain range and I have!! Very surprising considering all the bad days I've had, but very encouraging.

To end the day, I came home to 3 very excited doggies :puppysmooze:. I certainly haven't been gone for more than a couple hours in over a month. All in all, it was a pretty good day. What do you know? :tada:
 
This is an excellent report, hon. I'm happy for you and very glad t see you're choosing to make the best of each day.

Now.....I am concerned that you are going to hurt tomorrow, though. Be sure to take things very easy tonight and all day tomorrow.

Here is some guidance for the future. When you have a day that you must be out on errands or on a catering job, do not schedule therapy on that day. You are getting a HUGE workout on days like this and you really don't need more. It can cause problems with pain and swelling and we don't want that. If your therapist grumbles, be tough. I care more about your well-being than your therapist's feelings.
 
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
Now all you have to do is take it----you'll be feeling much better if you do.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Congratulations! You will feel so much better when you have a good nights sleep :sleep:
I never get the up and down stairs thing right --I did it incorrectly at the theater yesterday and have been sore all today:no-fin: I'll get it right eventually :doh: PT tomorrow so I'm hoping for a nice knee massage and TENS treatment.
 
Oh wow @Jamie , I didn't even think of that but it makes perfect sense. I've been in bed since I got home and will take it easy tomorrow. I upped my pain meds back to their previous level. Guess I should have at the very least held off on the 'help me do stairs' thing since i'd already walked 2 flight today. funny how obvious things arent all that obvious. Thank you so much for pointing this out to me. Fingers crossed!

thanks @bottomshollow . As Jamie will tell you; I seem to have an issue following sage advice ;-)

thank you @Chihuahuan ! I'm veryhopeful on being able to sleep tonight! That will help my questionable disposition immeasurably! I hope you feel better. Xoxo
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Pumpkin & Bentley's Slave. I was able to sleep for almost 2 hours (my longest stretch yet), but now find myself wide awake at 2:45am and unable to fall back asleep (or even to just get comfortable). Boo. Hopefully I'll be able to get another couple of hours rest 'cause, like everyone else, I'm really tired! :tantrum:

i was talking to the gentleman who had surgery the same day I did who pretty much jogs thru PT like he's there for fun and I asked him if, since he was doing so much better than everyone else, he was having trouble sleeping. He said he was. I know It's horrible of me to have been glad to hear that he was having challenges with at least 1 thing in his perfect recovery and then he said that he was unable to get more than 6 hours sleep per night :headbang: oy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom