Guest viewing is limited

my introduction--total left hip scheduled for Dec. 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.
@texasvet ! Good morning hon! yah--im getting there! I will be working up to the last day--well the surgery is a Monday--so I wont be working that sunday--other than the normal woman/wife/mom/grandmom type of stuff! :rofsign:I coach swimming for a local private school--both boys/girls/jv and varsity! its my 4th year and I love it--I used to be a swimmer many years ago--Swam from when I was a kid all the way thru college--swam us swimming also--in 1980 made Olympic trials--but that is the year that good ole jimmy carter decided we needn't go to the Olympics :( Yah--im gonna have some kinda time keeping my furbabies off my hips after surgery--I will be keeping many pillows very close to me! LOL My doc has a new patient portal set up--I had more questions at my pre-op but forgot to ask--got sidetracked--so I sent lots more this morning to him--I have to go to hospital this morning for my pre-surgery hospital visit so that should be fun--lots of paperwork I presume! Hope you have a wonderful day sweetie! :puppysmooze:
 
@theweezyone hope your pre-op appt. went well and all questions are answered. Keep some citrus (orange, tangerine, grapefruit) next to you after the surgery. Seems all dogs and cats hate the smell of citrus oil and will run off if offered to smell the peel!
Sorry your Olympic dream never became reality, that must really stink.:gaah:
 
@texasvet Wow! thanks for the tip about the citrus--had no idea!:cheers: Yah--I asked a lot of questions and they were answered very quickly!!!! I appreciate the sentiment about the swimming--yah--its been something that has really haunted me for a very long time--but that's life! :boohoo:I hope you and your family--and all our hippie brothers and sisters have a fabulous Turkey day! :egypdance:
 
Welcome to BoneSmart @theweezyone I'm two weeks to the day from my first LHR and doing well so far. I need to have my right done also, and hoping this is sometime next year...

I love your babies too @theweezyone and @texasvet.

I have 2 German Shepherds who are our babies as well...:doggie:
 
@Gilly thanks, hope those two are keeping you company while you recover.

@theweezyone how are you doing? Excited to get it over with? How was your Thanksgiving?
 
hello @Gilly ! so nice to hear from you! we sure love our babies don't we!!! :loveshwr: thanks for chiming in here! hope you are doing wonderful at 2 weeks out!!! I will look for your recovery thread! @texasvet --yup we are getting close! one more week and it cant come too soon! LOL Had a pretty uneventful thanksgiving--did a lot of cooking--but then a lot of catch up resting--was actually pretty lazy! but boy did it feel good! hope you had an awesome Thanksgiving! Just think--in one more week --hopefully I will be on the other side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
You wont regret having it done @theweezyone the horrible arthritis pain was immediately gone after surgery it's such a great feeling!!!! I will a look out for your threads as well. whoop, whoop one more week for you.....I'd be lost without BoneSmart..

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here in NZ but I had a lovely day.

We do love our babies...My girls don't know they're dogs t be honest...I need to get a mirror out so they can see they're not the same as us..lol...:dogwalk:
 
OMG so funny @Gilly about the mirror--I do know what you mean though--I have more pics of my furkids than my non-furkids--LOL--well close anyway! I understand about bonesmart--such a blessing to find this site--even though I have been thru it before--having all these wonderful people on here to share with--really makes the going easier and so informative! I am so looking forward to no more pain! It really is almost to the point of being on the "unbearable" side now--I know my hubby is looking forward to me not saying "OH GOD THAT HURTS SO BAD" every single time I move! LOL most of the time I mumble those words--but he gets it! thanks for replying to my thread--and I look forward to keeping up with you my friend:loveshwr:
 
Not long now @theweezyone My hip felt really good for about four weeks prior to surgery... just enough to make me second guess the decision to pursue the THR, then I had three really bad days/nights and HELL-O!! :rolleyes:
I know what you mean re hubby's; my hubby was the one pushing to get something done with my hip... I honestly never said anything to anyone (other than him, he's my soulmate, ah) about how bad it got sometimes, but he would tell anyone who'd listen "she couldn't even get up off the sofa last night" I was always embarrassed about that but realize now that it was his way of getting me to act! He actually said last night that it was nice to see me getting up from the chair (albeit it slowly!) without rocking backwards and forwards half a dozen times first to get momentum up... I didn't even realize that I used to do it to get going:heehee:
Don't forget to start your recovery thread before going in to hospital... that way you can post the minute you're up to it... and we'll all know you've got through okay:yahoo:
 
thank you @craftdee !!! How do we go about starting our recovery thread? just make a title and leave it at that? thanks hon!:type:
 
How do we go about starting our recovery thread?
Go up to the top bar and hover over Hip Replacement. The drop down menu will reveal Hip Replacement Pre-op Area and Hip Replacement Recovery Area. You want to start a thread in Hip Replacement Recovery Area so click there. You will be taken to that area. In the top right area you will see a black button that says Post New Thread. Click that button and you will get a blank template where you can fill in your title and a bit of text about starting your recovery thread. If you get stuck just ask. We will talk you through.
 
Only 5 sleeps for you @theweezyone not long now...Have you found out how to post a new thread? I find it hard to navigate BoneSmart too....Not so user friendly...Or maybe I'm a dumb blonde..lol...

My hubby pushed me along too @craftdee I was such a wuss and used to come to bed crying a lot cos I was in agony. People would comment often especially ones the didn't know me well, "are you ok, your limping bad"...I didn't realise just how bad...I found it so upsetting..It got to the stage where I was so embarrassed I didn't want to stand up and walk....And now yay!!! no looking back....

Have a lovely day yah all....

:snork:
 
Hey there @Gilly ! yup! getting closer and closer--yes! i finally did start my post-op thread--I appreciate everyones help! I am getting more nervous as the day gets closer--not necessarily about the surgery itself--more of the "i am the one that does everything at home" who's gonna do it now worry :( :yikes:I guess maybe im anal (LOL) about stuff-but no-one seems to do stuff the way i do--like cleaning-etc--i can't stand clutter! Phew--got that off my chest--i guess the thought of relying on someone else is challenging for me--im sure for others also--i may have stated before--my hubby is a disabled vet--he still gets around but barely--has a really bad time with his back--he's had lung cancer-4 heart attacks, has diabetes--suffers so much--i have to basically do everything--so now the worrying starts for me--shoot--he can't even get all his medicines together himself--(i think its more of he is so used to me doing it for him kinda thing)--i guess some time this weekend--i will get one of those 4 week med holder things--that way i wont worry about that part of it--so sorry i am rambling on--just wanted to vent a little--thanks for listening my friends! Love ya'll! :puppysmooze:
 
Hi @theweezyone the restrictions are hard. My hubby and son have been doing everything for me and although I appreciate there help it isn't done like I do it...lol....I have another 3 more weeks to go and hanging out to drive..... But like you the right hip needs doing next year...So will go through it again. I won't be so worried with the next one like I was with my left one.
So sorry to hear about your hubby that must be hard for you both. Are you able to get any home help once you go home just so it takes a bit of pressure of you? Don't worry you don't ramble on..lol..

Take care..xx
 
thanks so much for your response @Gilly :loveshwr: Well, my daughter had moved back here to our town--so she is going to try to help as much as possible with her work schedule--i also have a friend that said she would check in on me--We are kind of Hermits! LOL--seems like all we do is work and go home--(boring people):heehee: I'm sure all will be ok--but glad you agree that stuff doesn't get done like we do it! :loll: Glad you are doing well on your recovery! I know i am so looking forward to getting this done--and getting on with a pain free life (other than the regular aches and pains of growing older ) :) Again--thanks for the response! It is greatly appreciated my friend!
 
@theweezyzone I so know what you mean as I am a fellow control freak lol :-) however once you've had your surgery you absolutely must put yourself first for a couple of weeks at the very least and take it easy. Think of it this way - a few weeks of chaos, untidiness, takeaways, accepting help etc now will mean you can recover well and FAST. Try to do too much too soon and you will not recover as well or as fast. Simple. I had to learn to accept help and not stress about the mess after my RTHR in July this year. It was hard, but it meant that gradually slowly slowly I was able do more and more and soon the control freak was back in control. Now it is all a dim and distant memory and to be honest I can barely remember whether it was two weeks or twelve weeks that I could not cook, walk the dog, boss the other half, do the housework yadda yadda yadda :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Best wishes for Monday @theweezyone - I will look forward to following your recovery thread.

Have you seen the articles in these links?

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and approximate timeframes for the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutrional-snippets
 
I understand completely @theweezyone I'll be honest... as I have repeatedly in my recovery thread :heehee:.... it's the restrictions I've found the hardest to deal with; but then again I've had 12 weeks of them!! I'm at 9 weeks today and am gritting my teeth :snork:, for the most part though they haven't been anywhere as onerous as I thought they would be, there are still plenty of things you CAN do. The most important thing is not to overdo it in the first couple of weeks in particular, you will hear about the "energy drain", it is real and it will hit you - and you WILL have to sit or lie down... end of, no choice, just go with it.
We run our own business and I do bookkeeping for a couple of other businesses, from home (thank goodness for the internet!) as well as run the home, and this is our busy season so I was REALLY worried about how things would get "done"... do you know what, they got done! Turns out I'm not quite as indispensable as I thought :rotfl: Seriously though, it was a bit of a challenge for a couple of weeks, and hubby did get tired too, but I needed minimal help really; you need to pace yourself is the main thing. The one thing I HAD to find a way to do without breaking restrictions was scrub my shower... it was "doing my head in" knowing it was only getting squeegied every day and even though my Mum offered to do it, eeew, no-one's doing my shower but ME... so I DID work out a way, the first time it took me about 40 minutes to do (instead of the usual 10!) but was very satisfying - it was also my "big" job for that day as I had learned the price we pay for overdoing it by then and didn't want to go THERE again :heehee: I was surprised at how little clutter accumulated while I was less mobile, makes me think I may be a major contributor:loll:and I was able to sweep within that two weeks
As far as your hubby not being able to do things for himself such as his meds... getting an organizer is a great idea, also take a lesson from my Mum and Dad; my Mum does EVERYTHING for my Dad, she is like me, "on" all the time, so it basically irritates her if something's done at Dad-speed! She, like the rest of us, confused this willingness on his part to have things done for him with his inability to do them. In a way she has done him a great disservice, he has become reliant on her for things like setting the house alarm when they go out. When Mum broke her hip, we did what we could for Dad... and one of the first things was MAKING him do some of those little chores.
Recently Mum had to have a night in hospital, my Sister now lives 300+ kilometres away and was unavailable to take her, I was still on my 'no driving' restriction - I was very stressed about it; not worried about how they'd get up there as Mum is navigator "turn right at the next one, this is the car park....." it was Dad getting himself BACK that worried me; he has never even put the ticket in a car park machine and I had visions of him being stuck in the car park for hours! He has the advantage of looking cute, he's 85 only 5'1" tall and has snow white hair and is very affable:old:... he "did" the ticket no worries, operated the arm to actually leave the carpark (more visions of disaster!) and drove home. He said three people asked him if he was okay to do the ticket... before he'd even got to the machine! and that he was VERY pleased with himself as he didn't think he could do these sorts of things for himself anymore and found he could, easily, mmm.
I went up with him to get Mum as he needs a navigator (probably wouldn't if Mum wasn't doing it for him every time!) and he drove really well, when we got to the hospital I deliberately didn't take him to her room - he looked at me and said I don't know where she is, they've been married 63 years and he sounded so lost my heart made a little cracking sound - I said "well you know her name, ask!" - he did, and it was just as well because they had moved her overnight!!
Anyway, I suppose what I'm saying is that we get through it, and it's never as difficult as we presume it will be - we add in all these problems pre-op as part of the anxiety about having the op. Get as much in place as you can prior to surgery (including getting hubby involved in things he CAN do, instead of worrying about what he CAN'T do) Depending on the approach you have you may only have a few weeks of restrictions, they go very quickly, if you have Posterior as I did you may have 6 weeks, you're ready to drive at the end of that time, for sure, but it still goes way quicker than you're expecting now... if you are a bit unlucky and end up with 12 weeks restrictions like me... you can come and have a "pity party" with me :cool:, nah, really you'll find that things get easier in that time even within restrictions
Have a great day:wave:
 
:wowspring:WOW @craftdee the most excellent hit home post ever for me! everything you said made so much sense to me and gave me such a calm feeling -- THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART! :loveshwr: Your mom and dad sound so much like me and hubby! LOL!!!! This is my 'GET EVERTHING" done weekend--so I will be on top of my game--and even get hubby involved--again--THANK YOU!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom