THR My hopefully quick, painless recovery!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you've been able to switch to just tylenol. I'm sure you'll feel better all around. Drink lots of water. Have some more prunes.

You'll be ok, just enjoy the pampering from your little ones. I'm sure they were delighted to have mom back! My first days home my little ones were so sweet bringing me bottles of water, fetching my forgotten cane, helping put my socks and shoes on .... My one little boy still points carefully to my surgery leg and says "I'll be careful to not sit there." As he climbs on the other side of my lap for a story. He's also the one who brings the toy saw over and "does surgery" to make my hip better! How are your little ones doing?


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Day 6 - I think I am past the horrid constipation. I had one more "episode" yesterday after I ate lunch where I nearly passed out the cramping was sooo bad. But once it was out I have felt so much better!!! However, I have not had a BM since then so I hope that does not become a problem again!!! That was awful! My hip feels pretty good. I have been getting around with just one crutch. I stopped all the
narcotics and am just on 1000 mg Tylenol 4x/day. I slept in bed last night but my back was pretty sore in am. OS said I can lay on either side but I was just worried something might come out of place so early!!!! I hope all continues to go this well. My husband is getting a little stir crazy and needs to go back to work for all of our sanity!!!!!!

I still have the waterproof bandage on my incision that I am supposed to take off on day 7. I am a little anxious about this as I do not want to see it! I was maybe thinking of having the PT take it off for my first visit on wed? It wouldn't hurt to keep it on an extra day would it?
 
@allegra try sleeping on your non-op side with a pillow between your legs. That way the op knee can't fall past the midline point.

It won't hurt to keep the bandage on an extra day. Mine was in place for 14 days! I think you will find your incision is not as bad as you think.
 
If you have had permission from your OS to sleep on your side - give it a try. As Jaycey indicated use a pillow to prevent crossing the midline.. Sleep is healing, even naps add up x
 
Hi @allegra Glad the poop fairy paid you a visit. Keep the intake of water up, and the prunes or whatever you've been using and there's no reason you won't be able to go more regularly - even if it's not every day. I found being off the narcotics the biggest help to digestive issues, and I've not needed more than Tylenol, so no reason to take anything more than that.
I'm so jealous you're allowed to sleep on either side, I HAVE to sleep on my back and it's affecting the quality of my sleep big time, the biggest discomfort I have now is my aching back in the morning. Like Jaycey said put a pillow between your Knees and it keeps you from crossing the midline, if you sleep on your non operated side with that pillow in place your new hip stays "in line", it feels like sleeping on your back but without all that "pressure". It also means you can move around a bit more so are less likely to get sore spots
I had my dressing changed once at about 8 days, because it was a bit oozy, if it hadn't been it would have stayed on for 14 days. My friend (who's a nurse) did it for me, she showed me the trick to getting it off (those waterproof dressings feel like they're there forever!) Just tease the edge up then pull it outwards from the wound, not away from your body more across your leg then sort of roll or peel it back slowly. She advised me to "loosen" the new dressing the same way on the day the staples had to come out so that I could do it slow and steady if the OS nurse didn't have the time to do it gently (though in the end she was really kind so it wouldn't have been a problem) I just sort of patted it back on to go to the OS.
My wound looked way better than I thought it would when the first dressing came off, the ooziness on the dressing had made it look worse. I've put pictures on the Badge of Honour page at three different stages (it says 5 10 and 10 days, but it was 5 10 and 15 days) to show how much better they look very quickly (heres a link, I'm on there somewhere!)
For me it was a benefit being "on my own" when I saw my scar for the first time; I feel I had time to adjust to having a scar (which of course we all know we're GOING to have, but...) before my OS or anyone else showed me it. I didn't know how I'd react but didn't want to show myself up if I got emotional, which I may have done if it had been worse than I was expecting (which would have been difficult as I was expecting a mess!) so gave myself some time to come to terms.
As with everything in this process there are pros and cons and you have to pick which you think will work for you.
 
I have a question I was hoping someone could provide some insight on? This is day 7 for me since my THR. I am getting around ok - basically with one crutch. Still feeling a little lightheaded at time which I am guessing is normal until my hemoglobin levels come back up. But sometimes I feel like my new hip is a little "loose". Not sure if I am just being paranoid or if something might be wrong?

Also tomorrow is my first PT appointment. I am kind of scared for this. I have been getting by with 1000 mg Tylenol 4x/day. Should I take some tramadol before I go? What kinds of exercises will they do?
 
Hi @allegra - Probably one of the nurses/moderators will be able to help you. but what i found in the first few weeks was if i lifted my knee or walked a certain way, it felt loose or like an internal clicking feeling (no sound tho)...I was told that my muscles/tendons were healing around the artificial hip area and that what was causing that feeling...almost like everything around your hip has to start settling and healing and especially strengthening. I think my home PT had me do very light things at first...sit on a chair and pull my heal back ...stand against counter and move my leg and lift my leg about 90 degrees or so...nothing overly physical...she went at my pace, and then as days went by picked up the pace a bit. maybe heal slides and ankle pumps on your bed, things like that. Before she left everytime, she made sure to elevate my leg properly in bed and helped me with my ice pack, she was very nice like that and like i said went at a slow pace and then in a few weeks, she said i was ready to go to out patient pt facility.
 
The PT won't be too harrowing @allegra ; remember the BoneSmart Mantras; if it hurts don't do it, or let anyone - especially a PT do it to you!! If you've been getting around, the exercises will be a piece of cake. Taking some pain relief prior to any "real" activity is a good idea, but if Tylenol has been working for you, you may be okay to just time it right... I adjusted my dose so that it was about half an hour before a PT or OS appointment, of course your appointment may come right in between doses in which case you could take Tramadol at the last dosage time as they are longer lasting, or you could see how you go - if you need to take some Tylenol after your PT... an extra dose of Tylenol isn't going to do you any harm (when I was in hospital I couldn't believe how often I was offered Panadol, which is our equivalent)
As for the "loose" feeling; I was convinced mine was loose... I had stem end pain (was a quad muscle issue) sublaxation (was glutes healing) and could feel grinding... wasn't anything! You'll get checked out at the appropriate time, and loosening is something they look for, so :chillpill:
Enjoy your PT, it's a sure sign you're on the way to "normal"
 
For me, which isn't necessarily right for everybody, but when I'm doing something like PT or trying something for the first time like horseback riding or cycling (hopefully, hopefully this week), I specifically don't take "extra" so that I don't over do. If I have a really busy day like trying to catch up on chores, laundry, etc., again, I specifically don't take "extra" so that I know when I've had enough and to stop.

I've decided to skip outpatient PT again as I'm getting enough just walking/chasing/dancing/exercising with my little ones. However, if I were going to an "unknown" PT where I just didn't know if they knew where to stop pushing, I would definitely not take extra so I know when to stop.

Now, that said, after I'm done, if I feel the need (or know that I overdid), I will take a dose of a little "extra" so I can rest comfortably or sleep.
 
Day 12 - My husband went back to work today. That leaves me at home with our 8 month old, 2 year old, and 4 year old. Our middle school was off today so my 13 year old son is also home. He is supposed to be taking care of us, but i know that wont go as my husband wants it to. I know I will do more than I probably should. I have already dressed, fed, and changed little ones diapers. All this while my 13 year old still slumbers away. I am not supposed to carry my 8 month old, but I have carefully moved him to high chair, bed, etc. when necessary. It went good. My older 3 will get home from school earlier too since they get out at 1:30 today. Then all my kids will be home for rest of the week. My husband wants to work Wednesday too. Friends and family know I could use help, but if they dont offer, I am not going to ask; too proud I guess, and I hate inconveniencing people!! We will muddle through this on our own!!! I guess my kids will get subpar care for awhile!!

As for me, I am feeling decent, especially for the first part of the day. I have been taking tylenol and tramadol, but i am going to try to do without the Tramadol today. I can walk unassisted but do better with a crutch/cane as i still have a limp. The past 2 evenings we were away from home and I was basically sitting the entire time. I dont know if it was that or just being the end of the day, but by the time I needed to get up, I was walking much worse - almost like a pinch in my joint but better in the morning.

My PT has been pretty easy. I attribute this to my muscles being in pretty good shape presurgery. I was doing 2 full body strength training workouts each week for several years. My quad muscle definitely took the brunt of this though. Leg lifts are probably my most challenging exercise. It takes a few exercises to loosen up the quad.

Tomorrow is my 2 week follow up. I am curious to hear what they say about my recovery. I decided to go ahead with this surgery at my age mostly for quality of life issues. My pain was not severe, but I want to be able to run with my kids and take long walks!! I expect a 100% complete recovery. My greatest fear is that I will have some residual pain or stiffness. My dad had a knee replacement in March and still complains that it swells when he is on it awhile or that it locks up. This scares me. I would think 8 months, and I should be good as new. My parents kind of act like like I should expect some lingering pain or stiffness forever. But I feel like if I have ANY lingering pain/stiffness, then I will regret my decision to do it!
 
My greatest fear is that I will have some residual pain or stiffness.
Still early days @allegra . Please don't worry about stiffness at this point. For now it's totally normal. Given your history of being active I'll bet you'll be back to old self in no time. Slow and steady for now!
 
My pain was not severe, but I want to be able to run with my kids and take long walks!! I expect a 100% complete recovery.

I expect you'll be so surprised how soon you have 100% recovery and are chasing you little ones around the yard. I'm only 40 days (almost 6 weeks), and I am almost there . . . even my little ones are noticing. My dear little Natasha stopped while we were playing outside today and exclaimed "Sheryl, you're running so fast!" I didn't catch the 3 year old imp -- but almost!

Friends and family know I could use help, but if they dont offer, I am not going to ask; too proud I guess, and I hate inconveniencing people!! We will muddle through this on our own!!! I guess my kids will get subpar care for awhile!!

Ouch! Is that how I sound? :oyvey: Yup, I don't like to ask friends and family either. I do like to muddle through, but you know, I'll bet your kids will not get subpar care for awhile. As a "professional," I suggest that you have this fabulous opportunity to teach your children how to care for others (you) and how to do for themselves. Why, you and I, with little ones around, don't need grabbers. My four year olds are happy to "go-fer" and to help slip shoes and socks on me (better and more willing than hubby sometimes :nah: . You have 7 helpers who I bet are more than willing to take care of Mum if you let them. Hopefully, you will never have a better opportunity to teach them to care for each other, you, and others. :bricks: Give them simple requests and lots of praise, and I'll bet they will even read you a story before your next nap!
 
I expect a 100% complete recovery. My greatest fear is that I will have some residual pain or stiffness. My dad had a knee replacement in March and still complains that it swells when he is on it awhile or that it locks up. This scares me. I would think 8 months, and I should be good as new. My parents kind of act like like I should expect some lingering pain or stiffness forever. But I feel like if I have ANY lingering pain/stiffness, then I will regret my decision to do it!

I fully understand where you're coming from on this @allegra; this is my abiding fear too. My surgery is in less than 48 hours and if I still have one thing niggling in my mind its that I have an expectation to be 100% again and how will I deal with it if I'm not. I'm having this surgery early, just like you, because my quality of life has started to deteriorate and you just can't help think "what if I'm swapping one problem for another??"

Anyway, sorry this wasn't a 'ray of sunshine' post; I just wanted you to know you're not alone in having these thoughts. I'm sure we'll actually be fine.. this immediate pre and post-op time seems to be like the twilight zone :loll:

Take care
 
@MissMoo and @allegra Yep, the twilight zone is accurate! Oh so accurate! Even this second time around, I have that same abiding fear, even knowing how much better I was able to "do" after the first surgery. This second time round, I was so afraid to get as bad as first time (and compared to some here I was not so bad the first time).

I am so glad I kept very careful notes on what was going on in my life -- actually much of my notes were to justify that I did not need, could not possible need hip replacement! I was only 50, 51, . . . 55! I was not hurting so bad . . . this was not the reason I couldn't ride my horse, have sex, go skiing, walk up stairs, walk up hills, run around the yard with the kiddos, dance with'em, exercise, and on and on. Neither of you will lose years more of you life not being able to do, you are so fortunate to never know some of the problems you traded. In all likelihood, you will be back to 100% life and, like the twilight zone, you will not be able to remember the pain and the not being able to do. For some crazy reason, our mind does not remember this accurately.

@allegra , as a mom of 5 to a mom of 7, how fast does the little "inconveniences" and "pain" of pregnancy and childbearing fade. Mine did as soon as I held that little one in my arms! Your shiny new hip is not quite as cute, nor does it look at you so sweetly, but it is the beginning of your new life! at 150%

And though its cold and rainy here in Pittsburgh - how is that for "a ray of sunshine!" :SUNsmile:
 
I just wanted to update on my recovery. I will be 3 weeks post op tomorrow. I am really happy with my recovery so far. I am walking without any aids and really don't think I have a limp, but I still have to concentrate on my gait. I noticed on Sunday that I can now stand with my feet together comfortably(prior to surgery my left knee had to bend if my right heel was on ground so my feet always had to be about a foot apart). I also just noticed that I can tie my left shoe without having to cock my knee out. This excites me as I think there will be a lot of little things I can do now that I just stopped doing before my surgery!! I am not taking any pain medicine regularly - just if I feel more stiff or sore.

My biggest problem is probably going to be holding myself back now. Presurgery, I lifted weights 2 times a week and did 20 miles a week on the elliptical. I feel like I can go right back to that now, but my PT wants me to stay under 10 minutes on cardio at a ridiculously low resistance. It doesn't feel like I am doing anything! On Sunday, I was on my feet all day getting some deep cleaning done and putting up Christmas decorations. I have noticed that my leg muscles, especially my right calf, are really sore now- like I had a really tough workout or something. Weird because I haven't done anything?! I wonder if its just my muscles working differently now. My lower back is not stiff in the morning now either. I used to sit on a heating pad and get massages for that and it just vanished!!!!

I was very concerned about getting this surgery done at 37. However, all the benefits I am already noticing makes me think that my hip was worse than I wanted to admit, and living with it like that was just ruining the rest of my body. Having to anticipate a future revision will be better than having to fix all the other stuff that would have been ruined by living with it the way it was!!!!!

Our friends and family have signed up to bring us supper m-f until Christmas. It has been great but now I feel like I should cancel since I am doing well. I hate to but I feel guilty?! I REAlLY hate to as it has been an awesome perk through all this ( a lot of the reason why I haven't lost any weight!!). Everyone brings dessert too!!! The handicapped sticker until February has been the other perk - just when the weather gets bitterly cold here!!!

I am also excited that I am still nursing my baby - we did it!!!!!
 
I am so happy for you that you are doing so very well. Isn't it so eye opening to suddenly be able to do those little things that you didn't even know you stopped doing. I remember after my first surgery reading here that someone was celebrating putting on their socks. I decided to try to put on a pair and, having accomplished that, simply sat and cried tears of joy that it felt so good as I had just quit wearing socks for so long that I had forgotten that it just had become too difficult to put on socks . . . . or tie shoes (only slip on) . . . or ..... anything else that had become too difficult . . . . so many other "little things" that make life so so so amazing after surgery. And then there are the big things . . .

You are so right about not "ruining" the rest of your body --- yea, maybe maybe a revision but you definitely preserved and can enjoy the rest of your body with the new hip for many more years. At 56, I am so so so happy with getting full use of my body again --- I think I feel better than I did at 37!

The only thing I think you are absolutely NUTS on is cancelling your meal service!!!!! These people, I am certain are feeling awfully good, being able to help you this way. Oh, the rejection they will feel:bawl:! You are only 3 weeks having just had major surgery, 7 months? from having a baby, YOU need have no qualms about graciously accepting this gift!!!! :whistle:It tis the season. :giggle: You can sit and nurse and hold and cuddle that little one for the extra time saved while you rest ice and elevate! :yes: Take care of you, you will have lots of time to make dinner after Christmas -- if you feel good now, wait and see how good you feel after 6 weeks! :happydance:

Great update -- :wowspring::flwrysmile:
 
So glad you've come to a "happy place" with your THR, @allegra... I know how very anxious you were that you'd gone for surgery too soon, so it's great that you can already see that you had been making adjustments to your lifestyle without realizing it; as I said to you pre surgery, these adjustments sneak up on you, and it really would have only got worse, and quite rapidly... right while you should be enjoying your kids
You may need a revision... you may not, but you will have had a whole lot of life out of that hip by then - and you won't have compromised any of the rest of your body, bonus! You're right too... you will have to be a little careful, but only for a little while until your body has done it's basic healing - not long in the scheme of things
I'm with @Me2 take the help in the spirit it's been offered; I tried to "protect" my Mum from helping as she is elderly (84) and got a phone call at about 4 weeks in with her practically sobbing, saying she felt that she had let me down, hadn't been helpful enough! I found her sensible REAL tasks that genuinely helped and we were all happy!! I'd take the handicapped sticker in a heartbeat; wasn't offered one:cry: and it's getting hot here, so I have to park a zillion miles from the shop out in the sun right over the crazy Christmas shopping period - lucky I'm doing okay :cool:
Hope your recovery continues at the same rate :flwrysmile:
 
I woke up this morning thinking how awesome it must be to have gotten this all done and still be nursing your little one. I know how important nursing my babies was to me, and I give you an extra big applause for being able to maintain that relationship through all this!!! YOU get an extra :yes!: and a :happydance: and a:dancy: and even a :spin:. How full of life you must feel :friends:. Give your little ones an extra heart felt hug from me to celebrate their mom's new life:loveshwr:
 
I woke up this morning thinking how awesome it must be to have gotten this all done and still be nursing your little one. I know how important nursing my babies was to me, and I give you an extra big applause for being able to maintain that relationship through all this!!! YOU get an extra :yes!: and a :happydance: and a:dancy: and even a :spin:. How full of life you must feel :friends:. Give your little ones an extra heart felt hug from me to celebrate their mom's new life:loveshwr:

I am very happy that we got thru the worst part. I usually breastfeed for at least a year, and he won't be one until late march. I had initially planned on doing my surgery in may/June for various reasons but finishing nursing him was a big one. Since we had reached our max out of pocket for the year, I needed to at least consider getting it done before the end of the year. I am so glad I at least don't have it looming over my head anymore to decide, and I will be feeling way better to enjoy summer come June.

Our little guy is on the little side and still gets up at least twice each night to nurse. Since my surgery, my husband gets up and brings him to me when he wakes up. Then I nurse him and nudge my husband to put him back in bed. His crib is in our room. I can't really lay on my operated side yet to nurse but I can lean that way and he finds it!!! It is actually working out pretty good. I like not having to get up, and my hubby finally gets to enjoy these night wakings after snoozing thru the last 6 babies!!!!

We are not planning on anymore babies, but my OS said another pregnancy would be fine and would not not cause me to need a csection or a sooner revision. That was good to hear as it was another big concern. I wasn't sure if I should wait until menopause but that could be another 15 years if I am like my mom. Continuing to breastfeed has the added benefit of spacing pregnancies so I am extra glad we can continue as long as we like without having to stop at a year too!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom