Guest viewing is limited

THR My hopefully quick, painless recovery!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My blood pressure was low... it usually is pretty low so I wasn't that surprised, and the medical staff weren't either. Meds do suppress it a bit, and you're not moving about much. Take @Was_86 's advice, which is one of my "musts"... control the constipation; it's not just an inconvenience, it can be really uncomfortable and not good health wise - and it's easily fixed... they'll either give you meds, or the old prunes work a treat:yes!: I'm making light of it, but it's such a simple-to-avoid problem that can add angst to your recovery.
You're saying you're wishing you waited for this operation so..... people wouldn't say you're too young for it? Seriously? There may be reasons to wait, you may for example be happy to not be able to run after your little one! but what some random individual who knows nothing of your circumstances has to say about what they think is an "appropriate" age for this surgery really shouldn't be one of them:no-fin: FYI I'm 55 and heard the same thing to the same point, where I was gritting my teeth... so you could have waited - 18 years to get to my age, getting less and less mobile, and STILL got that c**p:gaah: Besides, why don't you wait for a few months, when all the post surgery discomfort settles down and see if it DOES make a difference to your everyday life, ability to keep up with your two year old etc... if not, then you can say they were right and you should have left it... but if it HAS made a difference you can thumb your nose at them and say what do you know - I've had this surgery, yes I was "young for it", and it's helped me and at least 8 other people; my family!!
@allegra I do think a positive attitude is important to the outcome you get, I am a little concerned that you are so convinced you shouldn't have gone ahead with surgery that you will be negative about the outcome regardless of how it is... please don't sell yourself short on this; you've made the decision, look at it as the right one and if, with all the positive vibes in the world it doesn't meet your hopes, then you'll have to chalk it up to experience - but be aware you won't have the issues you would have had with an "unreplaced" hip to compare it to in years to come
Wishing you the best recovery :flwrysmile:
 
I hope to find you ok please remember at this point pain management is crucial both physically and mentally.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and my blood pressure is still creeping at the 90s/60s?? Home nurses didn't seem bothered either.


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®

And you are still able to walk fine? They stood me up yesterday and I got really dizzy and nauseous - had to lay back down. I thought maybe it was my blood pressure. Now I am kind of scared to get up and walk as I have been in bed for close to 24 hours. OS still thinks I might go home today, but I don't think I can if getting up makes me feel like that. I might pass out!!
 
Going home is great but suddenly you lose all that support. Speak to the staff, I came home to soon and went 15 hours in Wee tad of pain, I almost swore. At least in hospital pain relief is there.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@allegra I do think a positive attitude is important to the outcome you get, I am a little concerned that you are so convinced you shouldn't have gone ahead with surgery that you will be negative about the outcome regardless of how it is... please don't sell yourself short on this; you've made the decision, look at it as the right one and if, with all the positive vibes in the world it doesn't meet your hopes, then you'll have to chalk it up to experience - but be aware you won't have the issues you would have had with an "unreplaced" hip to compare it to in years to come
Wishing you the best recovery :flwrysmile:

You sound like my husband!!! He is annoying me - I can't say anything negative!!!!! I do understand a positive attitude is important. My OS said it needed to be done so I guess I just need to trust him. I just get sick of those age comments because they generally follow with "why?" and mine is just plain old arthritis - no hip def
 
Last edited by a moderator:
(Sorry hit send by accident).

No hip deformation or accident. I don't really know what I did wrong to get arthritis this early. I don't want to think about what I will be like at 60!!
 
Its just one of those things. I could blame my dad he was riddled, blame me I thought I was invincible. Told to stop playing rugby age 20 played last game aged 39. Try to look forward because of surgery you will he playing tig with your kids in notime

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Oh @allegra, obviously if you're annoyed with your hubby you're annoyed with me :sad: soooo sorry if you are - I meant only good things... and I didn't mean you're not "allowed" to say anything negative, geez... have you read MY recovery thread? there's some pretty negative thoughts floated over there, including have I done the right thing and why aren't I "feelin' the love" for my new hip like seemingly everyone else on this forum!! I just meant that "positive self talk" is so much more empowering than "downing" yourself for taking this action.
I'm sure the comments you get will be giving you the yits, a so called friend of mine asked me at two weeks why I was still using crutches, as when he had his operation he threw his away when he got home... (so clearly I was a wimp!) then I found out he'd had an arthroscopic knee procedure, requiring little more than Tylenol for a day or so - not really comparing apples with apples! I'm just pointing out that the people who give you their opinion (spoken or implied) don't necessarily know anything about your situation.. or this surgery in general!
As for "what you did" to get arthritis, probably nothing! :shrug: The main cause is having the wrong parents (can't help that!) and just plain bad luck. I understand completely how irritating it is to have "bad luck" given to you as the reason for having something happen to you... AVN has three main causes; Alcoholism, overuse of steroids and trauma. Once I say I didn't have trauma, I feel people look at me trying to judge which I am... an alcohol or drug abuser!! I am one of the 15%, like many here, that are "just unlucky", so I know it's cold comfort. I feel like I've had my share of being "unlucky"; I have had several kidney stones, my gallbladder removed, a hysterectomy for cervical cancer, glaucoma - a disease associated with old age at - 41! Diabetes, even though I'm ideal weight for height and lead a healthy lifestyle.... every one of these has been diagnosed with the last sentence being "you're just unlucky", boy do I feel it! :censored:
Believe me I get heartily sick of being upbeat, and trying to put on a brave face, but I have found from experience that the more confident I feel (or try to feel) that I can get a good outcome, the closer I get to that goal; so thinking positive is the only thing sometimes within your control. Hubbies mean well, they want to solve your "issues", but what we want sometimes is air our concerns, vent in fact, so when hubby tells you to not say anything negative what he's REALLY saying is, "I suffer when you say negative things because I want to help you and I can't":console2:
My THR experience really did take me to my limit (I have had a fall requiring hospitalization, a kidney stone, gallbladder attack and gallbladder removal as well as the THR this year, so it's been a tough year with my body letting me down despite the fact that I try to look after myself)
I don't know what I'm going to do either when I'm 60 - it's not that far away for me and I know that arthritis will be rearing it's head somewhere by then. To be honest I'm trying NOT to think about it, because I will waste the quality time between now and then if I do. And it will probably be "plain old arthritis" that affects me most, that's like saying a "plain old heart attack", they're common too... it doesn't mean it's a minor ailment. If your OS thinks (and I think I recall you saying you'd seen more than one OS) that you're hip was compromised enough by arthritis to need a replacement, then you don't need to ever think of it as "just" arthritis... it's arthritis severe enough to warrant a joint replacement in the opinion of people who know about such things:thumb:
I'm sure that more and more information will become available about things that help with arthritis, you are of an age that they may benefit you, probably the only thing about learning you have the condition when you're younger is that you can get on to it and do what you can to prevent it (Glucosamine etc) arm yourself with info... information is power:yes!:
Hope you feel steadier on your feet soon, I'm sure you will, Go home from hospital when you're ready, don't let anyone decide that for you. You will find it's easier than you think to get into "recovery" mode at home, but if you feel you're not ready yet, dig your heels in and stay in hospital as long as you can!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I have not had any difficulty walking, nausea since first day. I attribute that more to the fentynal given so I could be "awake" for surgery.

My blood pressure has been keeping this crazy 100s/50's at least as long ago as when I went to donate blood about 3 weeks pre-surgery. So, I can't really blame it on surgery, blood loss or drugs (have only had spinal ad fentynal which anesthesiologist said he chose as its quick effect and quick out of system). I could blame it now on laying bout so much unless I'm up running with kids which I do about 12 hours a day. My normal bp has been 110s/80s. I finally called family doc yesterday as I am blaming it perhaps on lack of energy but that's probably as much related to recovery as bp.

But, anyway, no blood pressure has not had any effect on walking. I think you'll find walking much easier today -- running can wait til next week :wave:.
 
@allegra
Glad to see you went through with the surgery. I have always had a low BP and it was lower after surgery. I also attributed it the surgical drugs that stayed in my system for at least a week. Give it a week or so for your body to get rid of the anesthetic and whatever else they gave you using the op.
 
Well PT just had me up to bathroom and walk a very short distance. I was able to weight bear pretty well with little pain but leg is stiff and heavy. As I was standing I got a lightheaded and nauseous again. My BP was 80s/40s so back in bed and more IV fluid. Doesn't look like I will be going home today - my kids will be soooooo disappointed. I also will get these shivering episodes every now and then where muscles just keep contracting and I can't relax! They won't give me more pain meds even though i am due because of my blood pressure being low!
 
@allegra

The shivering is perfectly normally. I spent two nights in the hospital for low BP and then they wanted the usual bathroom requirement met etc. Hopefully you can a restful day and they let you go tomorrow. Can you Skype with your kids from the hospital?
 
Hi @allegra. So glad to hear you're "on the other side". I had low BP in the 90/45 range also, probably from the pain meds. However, I didn't have much blood loss, so I wasn't dizzy. I'm home as of yesterday - surgery Tuesday AM, and am really happy with the hip! Fighting some vomiting/diarrhea, which I swear is due to the horrible hospital food!!! Readjusting pain meds today, also, to see if that will settle things I think many of us face a challenge or 2, but I'm quite sure we did the right thing! (I had a moment of thinking about sneaking out of pre-op in my lovely backless gown!) Take care of yourself, . . You will get home when it's time!
 
So did you guys go home with lovanox or baby aspirin for blood clot prevention? They decided to send me home with baby aspirin since my hemoglobin is 9 and don't want me to lose anymore blood. I just walked 2 laps around the unit, but ended up with blood dripping down my leg from where they just took out draim. However, blood clots scare me the most about this whole thing. I hear of perfectly healthy people dying from that and wonder if baby aspirin is enough?
 
I am on Aspirin 325mg, enteric coated, one day. Plus walking min 5-10 min for 3-4 times/day, heel pumps 30 pumps - 8 times/day, and butt clenched, set of 10/once day.
If I could get the nausea under control, I'd be pretty pleased. Hubby out to pharmacy for Zofran. .
 
I went home with Aspirin... and I didn't have compression stockings either... all this from a Dr who required 12 weeks precautions because he is so conservative! He considers the fact that THR recipients are up and about (and the younger/fitter patients particularly) are moving about enough for blood thinners to be unnecessary. Off to the OS, see you later
 
Ok I am getting nervous. My hemoglobin went from 13.9 presurgery to 9 something earlier today and now 7.9. Why does it keep dropping. I am really disappointed with my nurses. They seem to forget about me. I thought I felt pretty good but now I'm nervous and no one seems to be telling me anything. Could this be dilutional? They keep giving me IV fluids to increase BP. I know you cant help me but they scared me when they come in asking if I am short of breath or if heart is racing???? Any thoughts?
 
@Allergan, I'm tagging @Josephine with your situation.

Is anyone there with you - family or friends? Perhaps you could have someone put a call in to your OS, so that you can receive some reassurance. .
 
My husband is helping me now get up to the bathroom. He left to get supper a little while ago. The nurses tell me they let OS know but I have not heard anything.
 
I had to stab myself with lovonex 40 gm for 4 freaking weeks after my surgery. It's not fun. I am sorry you're having difficulty but promise first 10 days are toughest after the surgery. I am assuming you had your hip replaced the anterior way. Hang in there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom