THR My Hip Trip - Second Verse

Status
Not open for further replies.
@HollyB It has plagued you for awhile, so I doubt it's the stomach bug. I'm suspicious that the tramadol and the oxy together is causing your nausea. Regardless, it's best to talk to the dr or his/her nurse about it. That's what they get paid the big bucks for. Rest until they call, my dear...watch some bad daytime television.
 
I am sorry to hear about your nausea, I feel for you. I know one of my pills is what causes me the nausea (Hydromorphone 2mg 1 - 2 tabs every 4 - 6 hours) so I only take this at bedtime. This is a very strong pain med for me so that is why I take it at night. If I took it during the day I would feel horrible. I took 2 tabs for the first two weeks and now this week I cut down to one and then next week I will discontinue it. For daytime I take acetaminophen with codeine and this does not cause me nausea. It is so hard to figure out what pills to take when, when they send a person home with all these different meds! I hope your doctor will help you to find some answers that work for you.
 
Update. The OS nurse called back quickly. We talked Meds and she thought the nausea would have shown up sooner than Monday if the Meds were a problem. And, it's true, I didn't have any near-nausea issues until three days ago. Then I mentioned to her that I was taking Colace twice a day which I started doing about 5 days ago and she thought that could be the culprit as Colace has been known to "tear up your stomach". Her spec was that it was either Colace or a "bug". She suggested that I stop the Colace and see how I felt in the morning. I am to call her back tomorrow morning. She will talk to the OS and his RA in the meantime. If "bug" is the diagnosis I will need to see my PP.

A Home Health Nurse is going to come to the house and check things out. When I talked to her on the phone she agreed that Colace could be a problem but she thought the other Meds could be at fault as well. She was less certain about the notion of a "bug" since she said that "bugs" usually ran their course in 3-4 days. H-m-m-m

I have made a call to my PP's Office just in case Mr. Bug is in town. I may get to find out how my PP's Office deals with unexpected patients.
 
You might like to know that common side effects for both Tramadol and oxycodone include nausea, dizziness and trembling. It has this effect on me but not to any significant effect. Just enough to make me feel 'off'. It's taken about 2-3 days for these to wear off when I've stopped taking them.
 
@HollyB I am on the oxy and tramadol also. I hope you are just having some stomach adjustment. I also had to stop the Miralax and still not helping on that issue. I just keep thinking its the iron and xaletro I have to take. Let me know what you find out.
 
Thanks @Josephine. Right now I am feeling worse by the second. The Home Health Nurse has proposed cutting back on the oxycodone and using it on an "as needed" basis when I felt pain breaking through. She suggests tramadol in th am around 7:30am after breakfast and then check myself in three hours. If no pain then wait and take another Tramadol around 1:30pm. Another 3 hour check, no pain then wait for the next Tramadol at 7:30pm. She further suggested not taking Tylenol unless I needed the oxycodone. While she was here I had something of a "nausea" wave and she told me she could see me flushing and that she could tell how ill I was feeling. All of my vitals were good and the incision looks great (she changed the bandage). I'm going to start easing off of the oxy tonight but if I get pain from doing that then I'm back on it. Tomorrow I will call the OS's nurse but in the meantime I am reduced to moans and tears. This is truly awful.
 
@HollyB I hope your PP calls. I can't imagine the extra burden of trying to heal and having the stomach flu. My heart goes out to you.
 
Hi @HollyB For what it's worth I think it's the Oxy... it certainly was for me. I can tolerate Tramadol well (but not everyone can!) so I used Oxy only at night, and "got off" it by two weeks... like Josephine it took a few days to rid it from my system. Like NuMe taking it in the day was IMPOSSIBLE for me, I felt SO unwell, it was very unpleasant. You have to put it against a backdrop of all the other things going on with your body too, to say you're "a bit run down" is probably an understatement :flabber:

Hope it settles soon, BTW I got plenty of day time relief with Paracetemol - but REGULAR doses is the trick, I kept the big guns to help with sleeping, or what was loosely referred to as sleeping at that stage:rotfl:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry you are having these problems @HollyB
I cannot take tramadol at all .....made me feel extremely ill...nausea, stomach pains, trembling. I only took codeine & paracetamol.......which seemed to work for me...kept the pain levels low.....I took paracetamol every 4 hours & codeine every 6 hours. Only trouble is codeine 'bungs' you up....so you need the anti constipation meds.
Do hope you feel better soon so you can get on with your recovery
[Bonesmart.org] My Hip Trip - Second Verse



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last night was absolutely miserable. So bad, in fact, that my husband is questioning the wisdom of doing the second hip, which is actually worse in many ways than the the one I had done. Bummer. Don't think husband signed on for the moaning, groaning, and my "getting weird". But we move forward.... This morning all my vitals were good except for BP which was up at 151/78. The only Meds I've taken are tramadol and aspirin. I called the OS's nurse and related the plan from the Home Health Nurse. She was in agreement but said the tramadol could just as well be the culprit. At which point, if I don't start feeling better, I should switch out the oxy/Tylenol for the tramadol. She cautioned me to take something and to take it regularly because once the leg pain gets ahead it is hard to bring it under control. She is calling in a prescription (don't know the name as husband had to finish conversation because I was having another nausea wave) for nausea. We don't have that yet. On a small glimmer of hope, I have been able to drink water, small amounts of Ginger Ale, and Peppermint Tea. I had about a half bowl of Cheerios with Almond Milk when I took my am Tramadol. Right now I'm working on a saltine with a little almond butter on it -- have managed about a half. So Bone Smart Gang, send some healing thoughts my way and I promise to pay it back double. Thanks everyone.
 
Oh HollyB you are having such a rough go, I truly hope things start getting better for you. I smiled to myself when you mentioned drinking peppermint tea, because that is another of my favourite tummy medicines that I had not mentioned before.
Your husband sounds like he is doing an awesome job of helping you through this. I have often said to mine..."I bet you did not sign up for all this nursing when you said I do!" His reply was yes I did, remember..."in sickness and in health"!
Once you get all these tummy issues out of the way and you can start to appreciate the awful pain you had before surgery is now gone I'm sure you will not hesitate with your other hip.
Remember your Bonesmart friends are here for you and keep us posted on how you are managing!



RTHR - Sept. 8 2014
LTHR - Jan. 19 2015
 
@HollyB hoping you and your husband will get though this stomach issue. Have you talked to your primary sbout the flu posibillity? I hope whatever it is it ends soon. I truly believe the people that take care of us are godsend. I don't know what I would do without my husband. Tell him to hang in there. I will be sending more prayers your way. Don't give up on the other hip. Just focus on the moment.
 
@NuMe2014 and @sabresfan your kind words and encouragement mean more to me than I can say. Frankly, I'm scared about my situation right now -- just took a second BP and it's still high at 151/88. I'm working on getting in touch with my PP although neither the Home Health Nurse nor the OS's Nurse seem to think this is the flu. The
Home Health Nurse will be back this afternoon. Husband is going to pick up anti-nausea med right now. Fingers crossed.
 
Healing thoughts and vibes from me across the miles from London to "mid atlantic States", wrapping you in a fresh cotton duvet!

When you feel so unwell it feels it will never end. I think it is all made worse by nothing being clear, not black and white when you need it to be. It might be this, might be that .... you just want to feel all right. I felt sick, giddy and horrible but it stopped when I stopped Codeine.

Look after yourself, it is such early days!
 
@copsham you captured what I'm feeling perfectly. Thank you. And I'm feeling those transatlantic vibes and good thoughts already.
 
She further suggested not taking Tylenol unless I needed the oxycodone.
I don't understand this. Tylenol never causes any symptoms like this and enhances most narcotics very nicely. Why does she want you to stop taking it?
The only Meds I've taken are tramadol and aspirin.
Well, aspirin in this context is an anticoagulant not a pain killer.
I called the OS's nurse and related the plan from the Home Health Nurse. She was in agreement but said the tramadol could just as well be the culprit.
It could indeed.
She cautioned me to take something and to take it regularly because once the leg pain gets ahead it is hard to bring it under control.
Wise lady! I am in full agreement with her.
 
@Josephine thank you so much for your reply and what a timely one it was. I had just read your post when I received a second call from the OS's Nurse ( aka The Wise Lady). She was checking on the anti-nausea med which I had just taken. It may be helping a little as I told her. But I asked about the Tylenol and she said to take it up to the max amount if needed. She clarified a bit on the Tramadol: at 6 hour intervals I am to ask myself what the pain level is ( at the time I was talking to her I was sitting in bed and the PL was 0 but when I get up to go to the bathroom the PL is around a 2). She said if the PL was anywhere that I could feel it ( 1,2,3...) then take the Tramadol. If I have no pain then wait until the pain breaks through to take the pill. But, keep a constant vigil on this because anything over a 5 can be tough to control. I'm not a brave soul when it comes to pain so I'll watch this like a hawk and take my reading from the walking/moving around arena.

Shortly after that the Health Nurse called. I asked her what her reasoning was about the Tylenol. She told me that the med instructions had the oxy and Tylenol being taken together -- she thought it was the case because the oxy did not have Tylenol in the pill so she was seeing this as one dosage. Does that make sense? I told her what the OS's Nurse had suggested and she agreed. She thought it might hold me between Tramadol doses.

The Health Nurse told me that, after some thought, she believes I could have a stomach virus. Normally, she said, viruses have a 2-3 day run but it would be a bit longer for me because of the surgery. She thinks a virus would be gone by the first of the week. If the Meds are the culprit I may still feel bad at the first of the week. I have not been experiencing any flushing since I stopped the oxy and maybe the situation is easing a bit. Of course, that could be the anti- nausea med.

And, as you noted, Tramodal could be the problem child. Do you know any tricks for sorting out this difficulty?

Oh, and vitals are all still good with the exception of the BP which the two brave Nurses think is a direct result of the nausea.

Thanks, Josephine, and I truly hope you are having a good day today following your earlier difficulties.
 
It all makes good sense to me. And you do have to be careful to monitor what acetaminophen is included in other drugs.
 
@Josephine thank you once again fro the quick reply. It has been about 4 hours or so since I took the anti- nausea med and I'm feeling better. When the 6 hour timeline for the Tramodol arrived I asked myself how I felt sitting in bed - 0 PL; when I got up and walked I asked myself about PL- again 0 with just a little stiffness from the bed. I waited about an hour and one half at which time I felt a little twinge in my hip and the walking was maybe a 1or 2. I took the Tramodol with a small amount of food. Stomach is gurgling but not bad, hip is 0 PL in bed and I haven't'the been up to double check. If I need something else I will try the Tylenol. Fingers crossed!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom