THR My Hip Trip - Second Verse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi HollyB,
I want to tell you something weird about me and my hip op incase it helps. After about 2 months I was progressing quite well but I felt obsessed with my hip, thinking about every issue, possible concern, problem, past and future etc. Finally I had a breakthrough when I realised my anxiety was related to not knowing what happened in those missing hours of the operation. There I was, a person always in control and always ahead of the game, hyper vigilant AND I had a huge gap in knowing what happened to me. I didn't even know I had internal stitches until I started having problems with them. With the premise that it is better to know what has happened I watched the You tube hip op. i then visualised it happening to me and then felt gradually more able to get on with life and gradually stopped being hip obsessed. This is crazy I know but we are all different and for me the emotional side of the hip pathway is seriously underestimated.
Look after yourself x
 
At some level all that we do is affected by our emotional state and how we have interacted with situations. So many people say the phrase the greatest fear is the unknown. Because we don't know our emotional state is heightened the old fight or flight. That's why support groups work as that big unknown gap has to a degree been filled by others experience. Sorry but to me this field is my forte well as everything to a point. So back to Holly embrace the support and knowledge thru experience of the forum.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@HollyB could be pain meds combo too. The frantic anxiety thing went away once I went to hydrocodone and Tylenol. Definitely talk with dr and ask for his opinion. It is not your first rodeo. Hugs, thoughts and caring hands for you.
 
I don't know what I would do without this Forum and the wonderful, supportive people who are here. How great it is to talk to people who really, really "get it". I've never experienced anything quiet as uplifting as Bone Smart. Thanks to all of you for your help as I sorted through the early days of med selection.

The Dialaudid was replaced with Oxycodone and it brought me almost instant relief. The pain was better controlled plus the anxiety/nausea was greatly reduced. I still had a couple of bouts of nausea but I took Meds for that and had no problems. The anxiety has been gone for the past two days! The OS's Nurse called again to check on me. She is noting Dialaudid on my chart as a drug that has adverse reaction for me. She called my Personal Physician and gave her that same information plus the two of them decided that a prescription for an anti-anxiety med was in order. Prescription has been filled and I am to take this med as needed. So far I have not needed it!

The Home Health Nurse visited yesterday and showed my husband how to change my bandage. I have steri-strips and perhaps glue under the strips. When the old bandage was removed there were a couple of pieces of scabs that had broken off and a dot or two of a slightly yellow drainage. The Nurse said that the drainage was from the puncture where the drainage tube was inserted not from the incision. We took a picture. She thought everything looked good and didn't anticipate any problems. The bandage is to be changed every other day or changed if it gets wet or when I take a shower. I am not to put any soap or lotion on the incision or the puncture wound nor am I to pull the ster-strips off. She said the steri-strips would loosen and curl up on the ends -- the ends could be cut but never pulled. Husband did a great job cleaning and rebandaging -- said the Health Nurse had done a good teaching job on the previous hip!

Later that evening my husband and I watched a couple of comedy shows and enjoyed laughing at some of the antics. I've got to say that it was wonderful to be able to enjoy a simple tv program after what had been happening over the past week.

So, today I had my first PT session. Since the surgery I have been very sore in my groin, upper hamstring, and the usual ache around the incision area. My PT was very sensitive to this and nothing that we did hurt me. I walked ( with my Walker) for her and she was very pleased that I had an even gait. I was able to walk for 8 minutes without stopping. She noted that groin and hamstring issues are very slow to heal and that I would need to take care as I moved forward. Most of the exercises she asked me to work on are done in bed -- only 5 reps for now and not even that if it hurts. She wants me to walk. I think Josephine would approve!

Right now things seem to be looking up for me and I credit The Bone Smart Gang for putting me on the right path. @copsham I really appreciated your own example about hip anxiety but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to watch the op on YouTube! Maybe one day.... @Legin your kind words almost brought me to tears -- you are totally special and what you wrote to me made such a difference. Thank you. @Sullivand -- Ha! I always obey Josephine! Truly, doesn't she just have a wealth of knowledge! @Jaycey you always are so encouraging plus you are correct about my OS's Team-- they are extremely responsive and often give out hugs at my appointments! Finally, thank you @Jamie for changing the Thread Name. Did I miss something on how to do that? I'm not the best "techie".
 
Aww @HollyB it is so nice to hear you are feeling better. This forum is really helpful. When I needed answers or someone to talk to who REALLY understood what I was going through the members in this forum stepped up~ I am just paying it forward and it is my pleasure. :)
 
Hi @HollyB when reading your post, i checked the date - your op was on 9th and it is now 20th (in UK!). So much development and so quickly. When you are in the experience it seems to go on for ever but really you are speeding along. x
 
Great update @HollyB ! So glad you got those meds sorted. Tricky sometimes - but it makes this recovery so much easier when your pain is controlled. Well done for persevering!
 
So wonderful to hear how well you're doing! And what a sterling supporter you have with your hubby. Life is good!

Finally, thank you @Jamie for changing the Thread Name. Did I miss something on how to do that? I'm not the best "techie".

You didn't miss anything. There is a link under Thread Tools (top right of the screen) to change your thread title. But it's only available for a short period of time after a thread's creation. After that, one of the mods must make the change for you. But we are more than happy to do that!!
 
@Josephine I have learned from you and this Forum to take incision issues seriously so I have a question for you about my incision. The bandage from the hospital was removed by the Home Health Nurse a week after my surgery. The wound was closed with absorbable suture underneath the skin and ster-strips are in place over the wound. The Home Health Nurse noted a very small dot of yellow discharge on the bandage and a small pimple about one half of an inch above the main incision. She didn't think there was cause for concern. The incision area was patted down with a sterile wash and re bandaged with gauze -- this is to be done at least every other day. I am cleared to shower so today I took my first shower since the surgery. When the dressing was removed from the incision there was another small dot of yellow discharge and a nylon line was sticking out of that pimple located above the incision. The incision looks fine as does the pimple area -- no redness, no red streaks, no bruises. The area is not hot to the touch. All of my vitals are good.

I called the On-Call Home Health Nurse who said it shouldn't be a problem and was actually not uncommon. She advised covering the nylon piece with gauze so that it wouldn't get pulled by my clothing. She cautioned not to touch the nylon. She said that my Home Health Nurse could trim the nylon at her next home visit (Tuesday) if it needed to be trimmed.

I have also put in a call to my OS's emergency number which should put me in touch with the Resident On Call. I have not heard back yet.

What is your experience with this sort of issue and how should I handle this? Thanks in advance for your help.
 
@Josephine this is just a quick update to the post above -- and please tell me if I've overtagged you on this issue because I know you get tons and tons of tags. Moving on to the update: my OS's Emergency On Call Resident ( in this case, he has completed Medical School, is an M.D., and in his first year specializing in Orthopedics) called back. I told him what I wrote to you in the above post. He had pulled my Medical Record and knew the surgical procedure that had been used for the closure. He said he thought the nylon thread would fall off by itself. Cover with gauze, if I felt more comfortable with that (I do) and leave it alone except for observation. I asked him what would constitute a problem and he said that continued and/or increased discharge, redness, heat at the incision site, systemic feeling of being unwell along with changes in vitals.

The Home Health Nurse is scheduled to visit on Tuesday and I have a two week post-op appointment with my Personal Physician on Thursday. You thoughts on all of this will be much appreciated. If I need to be more proactive then just say the word. Thank you so much for all of your help.
 
As long as the area doesn't appear to be infected or getting worse, I suggest you wait to see the home health nurse and ask that she trim the suture for you. This is actually fairly common and can be taken care of quite easily. I agree that keeping it covered until then is a good idea.

Just for info....one tag is fine for Jo. She should be along shortly to comment.
 
Thank you @Jamie for what you have told me tonight -- your words will help me sleep! Also good to know that only one tag is needed -- that's what I'll do in the future.
 
@HollyB your incision sounds fine. I'll bet the Home Health Nurse just trims that bit of suture when she visits.
 
Its soooo scarey when we see things that don't seem right as the brain races away with itself, and with all this increased knowledge we have access to these days its more fuel for brain panic. I worked with people who among many problems could be infection as wee wounds were ever present and golden rule was back of hand against wound and temperature check. But its best to get checked. Keep smiling

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Jaycey I hope you're right. So far I'm feeling just fine -- vitals were good this morning with temperature at 98.6, BP 128/70, and Oxygen Level 100. We will change the bandage later today after I've been up and moving around a bit and check for drainage and any changes. We've been taking pictures.

@Legin I'm s-o-o-o in agreement with you! Better safe than sorry -- I will totally "dog" this issue and have it checked out. Thanks, my friend, for your support.
 
Not a problem when we worry our whole system is affected, a feeling of well being is worth a wagon load of Holly berries.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
My reply is a little different based on my experience. After my main stitches were taken out I began to get a little bit of pus, cleaned up then a little little more. It could be a bit red, a bit weepy, really hard to judge what was going on, was this normal etc. Then little filaments coming out, tiny like old fashioned light bulb filaments. I had an appt with my OS who basically said it was my imagination and probably something from my clothes. I was getting a little, little pus and a bit of weeping from the wound. Finally a larger stitch came out, like tennis racquet string. I actually photographed them so that the consultant had to believe me. The whole process, antibiotics for infection, prickly stitches, what was happening to the wound and my hip joint etc was so scary. I will try and attach my photo's. BTW this was internal stitches not the external ones!

No I cannot find the photos at the moment, having swapped laptops. When I find them I will post. I don't want to be scary but for any one who is allergic to many things this should be considered as it is not something easily acknowledged. All the very, very best @HollyB
 
@Legin -- so true about the entire system being affected when we worry. I'm trying really hard not to get on The Worry Train this time -- just keep that ticket! And, Ha! -- I'm trying to picture that wagon load of HollyBerries!
 
@copsham so glad you mentioned your experience. I remembered it last night and reread your thread. You did an excellent job of explaining what was happening to you. The pictures were so helpful. At the time, I was amazed at what was happening to you and how well you handled it even though you acknowledged how scared your were. I have taken a page from your book and we(husband) are taking pictures of the nylon thread -- it looks like a fishing line. You said your OS doubted what you were telling him but I haven't gotten that reaction so far. Still like the idea of pictures. Did you keep your breakthrough area covered?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom