Guest viewing is limited

Hip Arthroscopy My Healing Journey Since 5.17.22

Yes netflix was definitely number one on my list. I also wrote in my journal quite a bit. I found it very helpful. I did wordscape on my phone as well:) Sounds like you can do your work on your laptop so I am sure that's fulfilling!

I'm glad you are finding the support and posts here helpful! Today was a good day. I felt almost normal. I drove to a friends house for breakfast and came home and cleaned a bit. Rested some and then went on the deck as it was a beautiful day and just stared at the trees for a while and contemplated on how far I've come. It was winter when I had my accident and now its summer and the back yard looks beautiful. I am glad you can swim and feel the sunshine on your face! Nature is so healing. I spent most of February and March indoors. April and May were better months but June has been lovely this year in DC. I found that I could not bear any bad news while I recovered so I stayed away from CNN and other news stations and concentrated on watching movies to really get away. I hope you have a better night tonight @CoffeandCrafts. Sending you healing hugs.:console2:
 
@Snoopy55 What a lovely day you had! I’m so glad to hear that! Unfortunately things did not go so well here. I never made it to the pool as showering and then a very brief outing to a store seemed to aggravate my hip and lower back as well. The pain has been quite limiting and at times just nearly unbearable- luckily those times pass somewhat quickly if I can get my ice machine on and in a comfy position laying down.
It is always good to reflect on how far we’ve come and what a transition you’ve made from Winter to now, along with the seasons!
Here’s hoping tomorrow (today actually) is good to us all!
 
I am so sorry. I wonder if driving yourself and going to the store did it? Getting in and out of a car was pretty traumatic for my hip so I stopped driving for a long time. Just food for thought.
 
Gees surgery sounds full on. I'm 16 wks no labral reconstruction just debridement and major tear in ligamentum terres- I am still napping most days, tire easily, off all meds finally but coming off Naproxen ( after 10 days each time pain flares really bad) but this time used panadol for few days and off that to.. for long who knows. The Naproxen I found worked really well. I can stand for 2 hrs straight and its manageable right now. but any walking is aggravating. Good luck small steps you sound like its very early days don't be to hard on yourself I would be expecting you to still feel pretty bad!!
 
Checking back in…it’s been a few days. I had my 6 week follow up appointment on Wednesday. My OS was remarkably validating and understanding about my pain levels. He said that he looked at all the images from my surgery before coming in to see me and was reminded of how very angry my hip was to begin with. He shared that the surgery made it even more irritated and that between that and not being a young 20-something or even 30-something he was not surprised it was taking me a bit longer to get relief. He performed his exam and based on the pain I am having and the places that I have the pain he feels like I have bursitis in a couple of areas. I received two cortisone injections. He also said to give the PT a break for about a week and then we will discuss if I should return at that point or wait longer. I left feeling hopeful but a bit sad because he recommended I do less sitting which is how I like to do my favorite hobbies and work. But oh my goodness! Then, later that evening, last night, I experienced incredible pain. Like 8 or 9 out of 10 level pain for hours. I put a call into the on call surgeon about what pain meds I could take based on what meds I’m already taking. He approved me taking a stronger pain medication and I finally got some rest and slept about 5 hours. Hopefully my hip will be soothed and the injections will do their magic soon! Pain level is much more bearable today, but I am taking the stronger pain meds today still. I tell ya what… this is some kind of a journey. And not so much the fun kind. Still holding on to hope that better days are coming soon! How are you all doing out there?
 
Some months before my THR I my hip was injected and I was informed about a cortisone flare. It's pain caused by a reaction to the shot; some people experience it and others don't. It hurts for 2-3 days then settles down with -hopefully - relief from the original pain.
I hope you feel better today, and that hip settles down.
 
@subie2021 Thank you so much! I am improving. Yes, I read about the flare…sounds like that is definitely what happened! Hope you are well today, too. ☺️
 
@Teresaj Thank you for sharing and for the encouragement! Sounds like you’ve been through it, too! I haven’t seemed to find the best medicine/pain relief regiment for me yet but working on it. It definitely helps to hear what works for others and how you’re progressing. Gives me hope! I seem to have the worst pain with sitting right now. Which I really didn’t expect for some reason. But taking things one day at a time for sure! Hope you are feeling well today.
 
Admin: Can we change the title of my thread to “My Healing Journey Since 5.17.22” If that’s too long then just “My Healing Journey” Thank you!
 
Nice to see your update and happy that your doctor was understanding and listened to you. I hate when surgeons don't validate our feelings of pain and hopelessness. I am so sorry that you are still experiencing pain which I know to be normal still. I do understand his advice about not sitting for too long. Are you taking walks? I know we seem to be giving you conflicting advice about resting and moving. I think some movement is necessary but there is a fine line between doing a little to engage the muscles and over doing it. I am certainly guilty of over doing it!

Glad you feel comfortable enough to call your OS office and get the proper meds. So much of my time was spent thinking am I being a baby? Is this pain normal? Should I call the doctor? Thank goodness for this forum to set my mind at ease but even then everyone always said to call the doctor if I was still questioning myself.

I hope you get a good nights rest tonight with the proper pain meds and maybe you will feel well enough to walk about some and get some fresh air. Keep us posted.
 
@Snoopy55 Good to hear from you! I honestly have been able to do very little movement the last few days but am hoping to get out for a short walk or two today and ease back into more movement. It is such a fine line to balance, like you said. I spent quite a bit more time upright in general yesterday so that was heading in the right direction. Of course, the pain was after me with a vengeance by evening but was able to sleep with help from pain meds. Thank goodness. I’m going to get that wonderful first cup of coffee now and try sitting in my recliner for a bit. Hopefully ease into the morning… oh what a long road it feels like this has been at times, but so good to know I’m not alone. How are you? How have you been feeling? Thank you for your kindness!
 
Yes its definitely a fine line. Like I said I wanted so badly to be well I was walking without the cane at 4 weeks but at 7 weeks I had a huge set back so if I were you I would try to do a little at a time while you are managing pain and getting out once a day for some fresh air.

I'm doing well! I just posted an update on my own thread so if you have the time check it out. I won't take up your thread with my issues. This space is for you! And no you are definitely not alone! We are all here.
 
Hello all… it’s the middle of the night and the pain is just so very uncomfortable… this just doesn’t seem like things are going very well… I’m at 7 weeks post op today.

I cannot tolerate traditional pain meds any longer as I have been having far too many side effects, I am taking Tylenol and Celebrex but this pain… I just feel like no matter what I do I cannot make progress. Sorry to be such a downer but I’m feeling so very defeated. I will be putting a message into my doctors office, but I fully expect they will recommend I just wait longer to see if the cortisone injections I received a week ago will take effect.

What to do when you can’t do much of anything at all and cannot focus because of the pain… Sending prayers out that you all are feeling much better than I am at the moment!
 
It can take awhile for the injections to work. Are you icing that hip? I assume you are not doing any PT exercises, right? Frustrating I know.

Please let us know what your surgeon says.
 
@Jaycey Oh yes! Icing has become my most favorite activity. ☺️ No PT currently. We’ll see what they say today, I sent the message over last night. Thank you and will definitely keep ya’ll posted!
 
I probably won't ski again which makes me sad
Your going to ski again..maybe a bunny slope but its only been 12 weeks? Correct? 4 months? Slow down :) before saying never :friends:
 
I probably won't ski again which makes me sad
Your going to ski again..maybe a bunny slope but its only been 12 weeks? Correct? 4 months? Slow down :) before saying never :friends:
i will be 5 months on July 11th. Skiing is going to have to wait until I can hike or jog. See how it goes but right now I’m too freaked out to even think about it
 
Sorry to be such a downer but I’m feeling so very defeated.
You’re not a downer! We all have times when we feel down. It’s normal to feel frustrated and defeated. Especially when there’s pain involve. Try to focus on things you can do at the moment if you can and if you can’t then let yourself feel whatever it is you’re feeling and not fight it. How you feel now may not be how you feel in two days from now after you’ve spoken to your doctor.
I for sure had many ups and downs and I felt like I was not only not getting better I was going backward. I felt worse at 8 weeks than I did at 4 but now at almost 20 weeks I feel better than I have ever. I think this recovery is long and arduous and no one prepares you for the pain And recover. It’s hard to be patient but your body will do its thing. It’s just much much slower than we want it to heal but I promise you will get there.
 
Back
Top Bottom