Guest viewing is limited

Hip Arthroscopy My Healing Journey Since 5.17.22

@Elf1 Thank you, I’m so grateful for all the encouragement and advice! And also the acknowledgment that my body has been through a lot. I think it’s easy to forget those other things I’ve been through and discount them as contributing factors to my overall healing. I’m really tired of pain and discomfort…but aren’t we all!
 
Oh yes the temptation to feel normal is a constant and unfortunately as soon as you stop your hip will tell you she's not happy with all the extra activity of getting in an out of a car!
 
I’m in a lot of pain, I’m sad and worried… I just can’t help but wonder if this is normal or not. I’m so worried that I’m going to be in long-term pain. My doctor prescribed celebrex today and I won’t get to start it until tomorrow. I’m taking Tylenol and can take tramadol at night. I don’t know how I’m going to get better with this much pain and discomfort…
 
I am so sorry you are in pain. I am icing my hip right now as today was an unusually tough PT session on my hip. My PT actually told me I would be sore and I just had a yogurt so I could take my mobic without it upsetting my stomach. I can feel how frustrated you are. Can you make an appointment with your OS so he can check and make sure everything is healing normally? I am assuming you talked to him and that is why he perscribed the celebrex? I took it too until it gave me an allergic reaction-so watch out for that in case it happens to you. I started getting blisters in my mouth. It will definitely help with the inflamation though just takes time.

Anyway remember you have had major surgery literally last month. My surgery was in February. This stuff takes at least 4-6 months to heal. I know that's not what you want to hear but theres alot that needs to get better. Please try to be patient and manage your pain with the meds. Tylenol alone may not be enough during the day. I was taking tramadol every four hours at 10 weeks. Its really important to manage your pain properly. I also ended up taking muscle relaxants for a week or two after I got back from my trip abroad. If you are in pain ask your doctor to give you better meds so you can be more comfortable. If you are in too much pain your body can't heal properly plus it will make you edgy and exhausted. Just my two cents since I've been where you are. I really feel your pain and I'm sorry but it will get better. Its just not as fast as a recovery as we want.
 
Please try to be patient and manage your pain with the meds.
Hi @CoffeeandCrafts, Snoopy55 is absolutely right. If you are in pain you will not be able to do much and will end up feeling miserable.
Apart from medication, also use ice when you feel pain:ice: You will feel more comfortable. I am 3 weeks post op, and am icing regularly (at least 4 times a day), and definitely whenever I start feeling pain or feeling achy.

Hope you feel better soon!!
 
I am so sorry you are in pain. I am icing my hip right now as today was an unusually tough PT session on my hip. My PT actually told me I would be sore and I just had a yogurt so I could take my mobic without it upsetting my stomach. I can feel how frustrated you are. Can you make an appointment with your OS so he can check and make sure everything is healing normally? I am assuming you talked to him and that is why he perscribed the celebrex? I took it too until it gave me an allergic reaction-so watch out for that in case it happens to you. I started getting blisters in my mouth. It will definitely help with the inflamation though just takes time.

Anyway remember you have had major surgery literally last month. My surgery was in February. This stuff takes at least 4-6 months to heal. I know that's not what you want to hear but theres alot that needs to get better. Please try to be patient and manage your pain with the meds. Tylenol alone may not be enough during the day. I was taking tramadol every four hours at 10 weeks. Its really important to manage your pain properly. I also ended up taking muscle relaxants for a week or two after I got back from my trip abroad. If you are in pain ask your doctor to give you better meds so you can be more comfortable. If you are in too much pain your body can't heal properly plus it will make you edgy and exhausted. Just my two cents since I've been where you are. I really feel your pain and I'm sorry but it will get better. Its just not as fast as a recovery as we want.
@Snoopy55 Thank you so much! Yes, I talked to my OS’s nurse and I do see them on June 29th. That’s not so far away. I just go back and forth between -“ is this normal? Ok, this is normal. “ and get so frustrated when I look at the timelines for progression from my OS and other sources that say I should be able to be much more active than I am, ya know? I so appreciate the reminders and compassion! Thank you!
 
Please try to be patient and manage your pain with the meds.
Hi @CoffeeandCrafts, Snoopy55 is absolutely right. If you are in pain you will not be able to do much and will end up feeling miserable.
Apart from medication, also use ice when you feel pain:ice: You will feel more comfortable. I am 3 weeks post op, and am icing regularly (at least 4 times a day), and definitely whenever I start feeling pain or feeling achy.

Hope you feel better soon!!
@Boofit Thank you so much! Yes, I ice a lot! It’s the only thing that really seems to soothe the pain. I hope you are feeling well and doing well with your recovery!
 
get so frustrated when I look at the timelines for progression from my OS and other sources that say I should be able to be much more active than I am,
Please go easy on yourself. We heal at different rates, it’s not a one size fits all type of recovery. Also, we all have different pain thresholds / tolerance. What is excruciating to one may be only a discomfort to another. As far as activity, see how you feel you measure up with the Activity Progression -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
Consider compiling a list of questions and concerns for your next OS visit and hopefully you’ll receive reassurance from your surgeon that you’re progressing as you should.
I wish you the best on the 29th. Please let us know how it goes for you.
Happy Thursday to you!
 
@Layla Thank you! I will do that! I feel like I’m more around the week 3 stage than 5 according to the timeline/activity progression. It is so hard to be active when I’m so uncomfortable. I’m going to work on walking more. Perhaps I’m being too idle. I so appreciate the advice and encouragement! Will keep ya’ll posted!
 
Hi @CoffeandCrafts I just wanted to chime in and help to assure you that what you are feeling sounds pretty normal to me, especially with having multiple surgeries and dealing with fibromyalgia. Hopefully you have discontinued PT for the time being? I wonder if you are having a bit of a flare with the fibro?
I bet after a few days on Celebrex you will feel a bit better!

I must admit that I enjoyed my recoveries.. mainly because I was able to take a break from work! (physical job) There were days where I did my walking and ADL but other than that I wallowed in my bed or recliner.. :heehee: I'm telling you this because maybe you are worrying that you aren't doing enough.
Healing is doing enough. Your body is hard at work trying to rebalance your soft tissues and nervous system.

:flwrysmile: Here's a flower to enjoy today while you rest.
 
Perhaps I’m being too idle.
I don't agree. I am almost sure you are doing more than you think. Are you going to the kitchen to fix something to eat? Showering and getting dressed? Walking around your house or going up and down stairs if you have any? All of the daily life activities are plenty at week 5 especially if your pain is not being managed properly.
 
...get so frustrated when I look at the timelines for progression from my OS and other sources that say I should be able to be much more active than I am, ya know?

I've felt that same kind of frustration amd really sympathize. My advice is Stop looking at timelines and quit comparing your progression to any charts or other people. That stuff is great when someone is ahead of the curve, but if someone is having more difficulty all it leads to is worry and stress. Your body will heal in its own time, and pushing so you can check things off on a chart is not good.
It's frustrating when you have the WantTo, but your hip says YouCan't. The hip is the boss right now, That Which Must Be Obeyed. It's hard to be patient. But we have to be in this circumstance.
With this healing, I think there are times when we lag, then suddenly jump ahead several steps, then level off, then hit a steady increase, only to fall back again, then regain a few progressions. Some people bounce back and forth a lot, some move forward steadily, some seemed stalled for what must seem like an eternity. None of it is any kind of commentary on our abilities or characters...it's just luck and we deal with it.
Wishing you the best for feeling better and getting back to where you want to be.
 
I think there are times when we lag, then suddenly jump ahead several steps, then level off, then hit a steady increase, only to fall back again, then regain a few progressions. Some people bounce back and forth a lot, some move forward steadily, some seemed stalled for what must seem like an eternity.
SOOOOO TRUE!!!!!
 
Hi @CoffeandCrafts I just wanted to chime in and help to assure you that what you are feeling sounds pretty normal to me, especially with having multiple surgeries and dealing with fibromyalgia. Hopefully you have discontinued PT for the time being? I wonder if you are having a bit of a flare with the fibro?
I bet after a few days on Celebrex you will feel a bit better!

I must admit that I enjoyed my recoveries.. mainly because I was able to take a break from work! (physical job) There were days where I did my walking and ADL but other than that I wallowed in my bed or recliner.. :heehee: I'm telling you this because maybe you are worrying that you aren't doing enough.
Healing is doing enough. Your body is hard at work trying to rebalance your soft tissues and nervous system.

:flwrysmile: Here's a flower to enjoy today while you rest.
@CricketHip Thank you so much for commenting and for the flower! I am still doing PT right now but I feel my PT is being gentle with me and is a good advocate/liason for me with my doctors office, too. Yes, it’s hard to know with the fibro, I’m sure it isn’t helping at all! I liked your comment “Healing is doing enough.” Thank you very much.
 
Perhaps I’m being too idle.
I don't agree. I am almost sure you are doing more than you think. Are you going to the kitchen to fix something to eat? Showering and getting dressed? Walking around your house or going up and down stairs if you have any? All of the daily life activities are plenty at week 5 especially if your pain is not being managed properly.
@Snoopy55 Thank you! Good reminders. You’re good at helping to keep my thoughts in the right lane!
 
...get so frustrated when I look at the timelines for progression from my OS and other sources that say I should be able to be much more active than I am, ya know?

I've felt that same kind of frustration amd really sympathize. My advice is Stop looking at timelines and quit comparing your progression to any charts or other people. That stuff is great when someone is ahead of the curve, but if someone is having more difficulty all it leads to is worry and stress. Your body will heal in its own time, and pushing so you can check things off on a chart is not good.
It's frustrating when you have the WantTo, but your hip says YouCan't. The hip is the boss right now, That Which Must Be Obeyed. It's hard to be patient. But we have to be in this circumstance.
With this healing, I think there are times when we lag, then suddenly jump ahead several steps, then level off, then hit a steady increase, only to fall back again, then regain a few progressions. Some people bounce back and forth a lot, some move forward steadily, some seemed stalled for what must seem like an eternity. None of it is any kind of commentary on our abilities or characters...it's just luck and we deal with it.
Wishing you the best for feeling better and getting back to where you want to be.
Such truly good advice! I will work on just being ok with where I am each day @subie2021 thank you! I really appreciate your thoughtful response and encouragement!
 
I remember when I was early in my recovery and I was either angry, frustrated, crying or in pain. So many feelings and trying to keep myself together for my family. The only thing that helped was being on this forum and I am so grateful for all the people who got me through this ordeal. It's different for us as we didn't willingly have hip surgery and so didn't really know what to expect. At least I did not as I had a skiing accident as you know but the shock of it and the unrealistic expectations set by my surgeon made me think I should be back on the slopes in no time. The reality is obviously far from that. I probably won't ski again which makes me sad. Right now though I am so thankful I am not in any more pain after four and a half months and I can walk as fast as my husband. Things will improve for you and you seem to have a great attitude about it all. We are here for you.
 
@Snoopy55 Thank you so much. I can’t thank you enough. I just woke up (it’s 4:30 am here) because I was having nightmares. I thought where can I turn at 4:30 in the morning? I don’t want to wake my husband and we’ll, it’s so early… and the. I thought of this forum and I hopped on and you had left such a kind message.
I am so sorry that you may not ski again and for what you went through! It must be terribly difficult to have such an injury occur suddenly! Things like that are traumatic to say the least. You sound very strong and like you have persevered through so much!
I try to have a good attitude but when I’m in pain it is tough. Having been in pain for so long now… fibro pain, the issue with my elbow and recent surgery on it, and now this… I admittedly get worn down. You’d think I’d be used to it but I don’t think pain is something we get used to. Anyhow I’ve been keeping myself busy when I’m able and that really helps distract. I design digital images that I put into printable collection for people to use in journaling, etc. And I do a variety of different paper crafts. I have a very hard time sitting for significant lengths of time but I can do the digital work from my phone or laptop so that helps when I’m unable to sit and work on other projects. These things really help me so much! What kinds of things have you done when you were/are unable to be as active? I’m also reading some and that helps too!
I hope you had a good Friday and that you are feeling well when you read this! Thank you so much for your message.
 
Like Snoopy I had no time to prepare for getting a new hip. Slipped on ice and bingo, rest is history. So no time to plan, explore, learn and also had unrealistic expectations for speedy recovery.
So I'm with you and others that found this forum for support and information.
I spent early days watching Netflix, had a lot of shows I had wanted to watch so caught up on that. My GF broke her hand about 2 weeks before I broke my hip so her and I would talk every AM and console each other!
My wonderful partner would take me for a ride in the car after I was home week to 10 days. Not too long but nice to get out and see the world once again.
Then I started using riding carts at grocery store with him for short trips to pick up a few items.
Lots of naps for sure and bedtime was around 5:30 PM in early days. Now staying up until 9! I'm such a big girl!!! LOL!
Now busy again with lunches with friends, getting hair colored/cut, shopping, dog kennel etc.
My partner is gone 3 days a week. He takes care of his Mom (has dementia) so his sisters get a break and one day babysits his grandsons so his daughter can work. It was rough in the early days of my recovery because I couldn't drive but now I make plans with friends on those days or just do whatever I decide for the day. Some days just enjoy hanging around the house and yard, doing laundry.
Hang in there, it does get better.
We are here whenever, I check in a couple of times a day, I'm not an expert by any means but can give emotional support for sure.
 
@myglasshalffull Sounds like you have done a great job to keep yourself busy and social! I love that. Since I now can drive I would love to get out and about more but it causes too much pain at the moment to do too much. Yesterday I went to get my hair cut and then had to come home and rest. Then we went out to dinner for a family members birthday. I was so uncomfortable that by the time we got home I was in lots of pain. I will say what a treat it is to get out of the house though! I definitely feel revived by the change of scenery. Today I’m going to attempt going to the pool for a while. Hoping some slow movement in the pool will feel good as will a little sunshine! Sunshine definitely helps my mood! I hope you have a sunny day. Thank you for that emotional support. I greatly appreciate it!
 
Back
Top Bottom