PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

I can sympathize. My non-operated knee really limits my efforts with my injured and operated one. I can feel the bones in that knee grinding together with every step. We just have to do the best we can!
 
My second, second opinion doctor called this morning, my blood test results are normal. No infection and no answer to my pain and discomfort.

Obviously I’m happy there’s no infection, I never thought there was, but I’m sad there’s nothing obvious to fix.
 
Love your thread title! Drama Queen says it all :heehee: hope things get better for you
 
So impressed with the attitude of this latest second opinion doc, Jockette. How wonderful to be listened to and HEARD. :loveshwr: I think your idea to see your husband's neurologist is spot on. You have been such a trooper with all of your challenges with that darn knee. :flwrysmile:
 
Many members think PT is needed to alleviate tightness. Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year OR MORE.
Mojo, I just love this, and the rest of your post that I quoted this from on someone else’s thread (on the hip forum) Thanks for posting it! Who was it that gave you this advice?
 
I believe it was our smart FA @sharonslp and not sure if she left it me, or for someone else...but it certainly resonated with me!
I reread it many times when I was struggling
 
@Mojo333
It definitely goes along with what I call our our “Time theory”, time to recover, time for pain and swelling to settle and time to heal.

After my major set back at 4 months (and at 4 months one would think one is past the possibility of a major set back, but it just goes to show we’re not) my whole leg was so tight. It took months to relax. But it did. As it healed.
 
@Jockette, I just passed my 5 months mark and my bend is 110-115. I can force it to 120 if I try but it doesn't like it. I really am not doing much except sitting at my computer a lot. My revision knee is 1" to 2" larger than the other knee, so I know it has internal swelling. I get impatient for it to loosen up. I don't seem to need ES Tylenol as much and lately have been doing Celebrex 200mg PRN, which really helps!
 
@Jockette I am so sorry and can empathize with what you have been through. No one truly knows what this is like until you have walked this road. Every day, I get up and pray that "today is the day" that I get an answer! I wish I had one for you... but I can pray you will get one soon! Just don't give up! HUGS! :angel:

@Cementless, your dog in your siggy looks just like my daughter's dogs. Her dogs are mixed breeds but mainly some sort of coon hound I think.
 
Today is my 2 year knee anniversary. Very little has changed for me in this second year. My bend is better, but only when I’m sitting on a chair. My function is not much better than it was at 6 months. To say I’m disappointed and frustrated is an understatement.

My newest X-ray only a month ago looks fine. The new surgeon was very nice but even he would not order a bone scan because the X-ray looked so good. If I know a loose implant does not always show on an X-ray, surely he does.

I went into this surgery grossly misinformed and it never occurred to me I would not have a good outcome. 2 days after surgery was culture shock and I’ve struggled every day since. I still can’t believe how much worse off I am now than I was with the arthritis. If only I could go back in time and cancel the surgery.

I am very sad today. I don’t have any hope for improvement at this point. No doctor is going to help me until something “snaps”, for lack of a better term. And oh what fun that is going to be.

The only good thing that has come from this is that I am now a more compassionate person and I spend a lot of my time on Bonesmart helping others through a very difficult recovery that most of us are grossly unprepared for.
 
Last edited:
@Jockette, I come here often to read since I had PKR 3/7...maybe obsessively. I’ve often marveled at the time you and the other active forum advisors and adminirators must put in, even as many of you are still dealing with your own recoveries and repruccsions. You help so many people even if they never or rarely post, thank you! :loveshwr:
 
I cancelled the appointment with the neurologist. I figure the first thing he will do is put me on gabapentin. I thought that was what I wanted. But I have changed my mind. I didn’t do well with it last June, when my first second opinion prescribed it, and my husband has been on it for the last 2 months, and he did not do well with it, either, and he is in the process of weaning off of it, as directed by his doctor’s office.

I do seem to have a nerve issue, and I know that is very hard to fix. I also don’t believe all my problem is due to a nerve issue. I still believe I have symptoms of a loose implant.

Maybe I will reschedule in the future but I just strongly felt now is not the time.
 
You have had such a long hard road yet you are there to comfort others. You are a special person and we are all routing for a solution to your problem. Don’t give up looking for an answer. Sending hugs your way :console2:
 
Did you talk about the possibility of a loose implant with Dr. McK? If not why don't you call him and discuss. I know it's a long trip if he wants to see you again.
Are there other meds besides gabapentin for nerve issues?
 
Big huge hugs to you. I know all to well how frustrating a bad outcome is. I like you wish I could go back in time and live with the arthritis pain I had. I really hope you’ll get some answers. Your a rock to a lot of us - hugs & thank-you:console2:
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom