Guest viewing is limited

PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

@Jockette, you shouldn't have to live like this. There are way too many good OSs out there that will fix you up really well. You and I both don't have perfect recoveries. I was told I wouldn't be pain-free because of all my previous surgeries. You don't have that history with yours and there's no reason for you to still be hurting. Now, it's a new year and you have that much lower deductible! Go for it, girl. We'll be here for you, giving you back some of what you have given to so many wounded people!
 
For some reason had kind of missed your thread and there you were being so helpful and supportive to all of us newbies.So sorry to hear all you’ve been going through and your current predicament. After having undergone 2 TKRs can understand how it must be to contemplate another surgery for you. Wishing you all the best for a happier and healthier New Year.
PS have recently been having pain in left shoulder and wrist. Have put it down to overuse of Kindle and iPad through this recovery! Am being more careful how I hold them and it seems to be easing.
 
@Newboots I have wondered if all the time I spend on my phone has contributed to my arm issue. I use my phone as my computer. Christmas Day we were not home all day so I hardly used my phone and my arm was much better! I’ve tried “typing” left handed and I don’t tap the keyboard with the same strength so either nothing happens or I make more mistakes than usual. Can’t win, right? But I’ve been using my phone like this for over 2 years, so my arm should be used to it. :shrug:
 
But I’ve been using my phone like this for over 2 years, so my arm should be used to it.
I bet it the stress of being over used. Holding the phone is an unnatural position for the hands and arms. I have a standup wireless charger. I don't have to hold the phone to use it. But, I seldom use it as my internet anyway. I use a laptop 99.99% of the time. Do you have 'voice typing' on your phone? That would help a lot. I have that, but my phone doesn't understand my southern accent, so I have to do a lot of repair work when I do use the voice typing.
 
I also have a little stand to hold my phone, but I still have to “type” on it. I have a small pillow on my lap and the phone stand is on the pillow.

But still, by now my hand/arm should be used to this. I think it’s just more sensitive since I hurt it.
 
I think it’s just more sensitive since I hurt it.
You could be right about the injury.
It looks like you're getting this bad weather like we are. Is it hurting your knee? How about your arm? My knee and hip are doing well since I'm on the prescription meds.
 
@sistersinhim
The weather might be adding to my discomfort, but my knee has not been happy since nice I over bent it a week ago.

My arm is so so. I drove for an hour and a half today and about an hour into it my arm started to hurt, I think it was the position and grip of my hand on the steering wheel.
 
I bet the weather did have something to do with your extra pain. I pray tomorrow is a much better day for you and all the others that are suffering.
 
When my dad was dying of cancer 20 years ago, his Macmillan nurse (in England) told him: the trick to living with this disease is to learn to enjoy the life you have now, and not fret about the life you wish you had. It was wise advice and I've followed it in other situations since then, including my TKR.
I like this so much I wanted it on my thread. Thank you!
 
Sure! Here is a picture of the knee under the skin. You can see that the patella is surrounded by a number of ligaments whose job it is to keep the patella in place. The one concerned here is that sneaky little tendon peaking out called the Lateral retinaculum. In the second image, it shows how, when the lateral retinaculum becomes tight or the medial one gets slack, it can cause the patella to be out of alignment to where it should be.

[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee
[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee


The surgeon will approach this via arthroscopy which will just leave you with a couple of little 'stab' wounds.


He looks inside the knee using the camera and an instrument. Water is used to inflate the joint so he can see what he's doing! He then approaches the retinaculum from inside and makes a small cut in the centre to make it slack off.

[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee


[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee
[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee
Thanks, @Josephine for being so good at wording things in ways that we understand and for having the best, ever, photos to go with the explanation! You are the Best!!! :loveshwr:
 
Just curious about someone getting tested for a blood clot. If someone does have one, how is it treated?
First it goes by signs and symptoms - where the pain is, what does it look like, etc. Then they'll do a Doppler test on it.

A Doppler ultrasound is a test that uses high-frequency sound waves to measure the amount of blood flow through your arteries and veins, usually those that supply blood to your arms and legs. Vascular flow studies, also known as blood flow studies, can detect abnormal flow within an artery or blood vessel.
Doppler Ultrasound Exam Of Arm Or Leg: Purpose, Results, And More

Thanks, @Josephine for being so good at wording things in ways that we understand and for having the best, ever, photos to go with the explanation!
It's a gift, Jockette. I was given in very early in my career by the Big Man Upstairs and He's kept it going for me ever since! But the images are all courtesy of Mr Google! (sssh!)
 
@Jockette You have been so supportive of me, I am sending warm strong vibes to envelope you and cushion your pain. I also want to encourage you to move forward with seeking a solution for your knee problems. Get surgeon recommendations from friends and your primary care doctor. We can help you get through this. I am planning to have my left knee done despite my horrifying experience. If I can, you can too. We all need to just hold hands and look both ways, then cross over, like when we were little!
 
You will all be happy to know that I have an appointment for another second opinion later this month. After the waste of everyone’s time my last second opinion was, I’m not counting on much, but cautiously hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
 
Fingers crossed that you will finally get some answers and solutions. I look forward to hearing about your visit and am sending positive thoughts your way. :fingersx:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom