Guest viewing is limited

PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

Jockette, I just read your story for the first time (I sped read posts other than yours, just to save some time) and I have great empathy with what you've been through.

At one year, I still wasn't sure if there was something drastically wrong. There's a long thread in my profile from 2011 where I discuss my coming 1 year checkup with Josephine. I was in great distress at the time, and in all reality, I never really was convinced I was ok even though my xrays always looked good. Anytime I saw my surgeon he was somewhat perplexed that I was unhappy with the results. I would tell him it always "felt" swollen, but it never looked swollen to him. I would tell him it was swollen on the inside, but he wasn't buying it.

It wasn't until somewhere around 18 to 24 months post-op that I had a major breakthrough. My GP took me off of Lipitor and put me on pravachol and gradually over the next two months or so, I felt myself getting much more sure that my knee was in fact fine. I literally got stronger. It's still very weather sensitive, and til this day almost 9 yrs later, I still "notice" things going on all the time. It doesn't rise to the level of pain that would affect my day, but more something that I was left with by having a second operation 3 months after my TKR.

It's funny, but people talk about a TKR getting better for a year or more. Mine has gotten better even recently as I prepare for my next one. I honestly believe now that it never stops getting better, and all that PT is best saved for way way after it's healed. Years even.

I wish you the best of luck.
 
I felt myself getting much more sure that my knee was in fact fine.
I’ve been so hoping this is what would happen for me. It will be interesting to hear what this next surgeon has to say.
(I sped read posts other than yours, just to save some time)
I do this, also. :heehee:

Thanks for your encouragement.
 
I'm so glad you decided to do this.

I have a few personal thoughts that I want to share with you. I've been around many surgeons and most I've met are not primed for empathy and tend to suppress and isolate their emotions or to use superficial humor to establish some distance. I'm not stereotyping here, I truly believe those personality traits are a bit necessary when you are going to slash open someone's body and do all kinds of things inside that the general public would not be able to watch. I've found that if I go in with a succinct list of questions or concerns, keeping it short and pleasant but pointed, I get better responses than if I am vague but wordy. Looking cheerful even if I don't feel it has also helped. The day I was carted into my surgeon's office sobbing in pain and fury after having just blown my kneecap out, he was efficient but miles distant. Weeks later with my own emotions under control, he responded smiling and engaged. Strong emotions can make a surgeon nervous because they can't afford to have drama in the OR and turning feelings back on afterwards just doesn't come easy. In my opinion surgeons are doers, not talkers. Don't be intimidated by them. Just think in advance what you want to get out of the appointment, write things down, then practice condensing what you say. All with a smile on your face no matter how hard that is!

I always said, surgeons and lawyers--I hope I never need one, but if I do, I want the best!

Good luck, can't wait to hear how it went.
 
Very well said @Motherbone! Many other professions require the ability to box up ones emotions. That tends to make one come across as distant and unapproachable. The best doctors are the ones who have a great “bedside” manner where they are able to connect with and portray some semblance of empathy for their patients while still maintaining professional demeanor and objectivity. They are rare in my opinion.
 
Boy do I agree with motherbone! I loved my revision surgeon, but when I was upset he just didn’t know what to do, got very quiet and focused on his shoes. When I came in very calm with questions prepared he was helpful and patient.

Get your self mentally prepared, but don’t set your expectations too high. Be as calm and matter of fact as possible. I’m praying you get answers and a possible plan to put into action.
 
Praying for you Jockette! [emoji1374]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Josephine
I have a copy of all my appointment notes from my surgeon. Last night I reread the notes from my one year check up. One thing he wrote was:

“After prolonged extension of the left leg she began to have a Clonus like issue of her left foot .”

I remember him holding up my leg, he only supported my foot, maybe with just his finger, I don’t really remember. After a while my lower leg started to shake. I do remember he commented that my calf was strong. I did wonder what he was doing, or looking for, as he didn’t explain and I didn’t ask. (I lost faith in his answers months before.) We were just conversing about trivial things while he was holding my foot. He never did comment, other than that my calf was strong.

If I hadn’t read my report I wouldn’t have known about it.

Anyway, Josephine, what do you think of this Clonus issue?
 
Last edited:
I also reread my operative report last night. It talked about an ankle clamp and rod, I guess for alignment purposes? It made me think of members who have foot and ankle pain post surgery. They do a whole bunch of stuff to us in this surgery and do not tell us the details.
 
@Josephine
My operative report says attention was now turned to the distal femur, it talks about drill guides, a 4.7 mm IM rod...and then:

“The tibial, femoral alignment ankle clamp was attached to the ankle and a vertical rod was aligned with the tibial shaft. The femoral component rotation was determined by placing the alignment rod perpendicular to the long axis of the tibial shaft....“ then went on to talk about a cutting guide, etc.

Thank you for the Clonus link, I had found that. I don’t think I have any issues now, and other than my surgeon holding my foot like that, I’m not aware of that happening before he held my foot. I assumed at the time that my leg was getting tired of being held up with little support. And he did not mention it to me.
 
@Josephine
No question, I was just commenting on the ankle clamp that was used because I’ve noticed some members have pain in their foot post op, and I would think an ankle clamp could do that, and you asked what context it was used in, so I quoted the report.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom