PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

I think the pants thing was a fluke yesterday. It has thrown a fit every other time I’ve worn them this season. I’m just happy it was happy enough for a little while.

I’m thinking about maybe getting a third opinion in 2019 when my deductible starts over. And next year’s deductible is only $1,000 as compared to $4,500 this year, and $4,000 the year I had the surgery. Only 2+ years to Medicare!!
 
Wow! That's a huge difference in your deductible! I don't blame you for waiting!
 
My husband is on Medicare so I’m on my own for insurance. The first year he was on Medicare the premium barely dropped for me alone from when we had been on it together. :banghead:

And it seems we wasted our money with my surgery.
 
My deductible was a huge factor in scheduling tkr. And other medical things too. Mine was $6500/yr until Oct 1 when I was eligible for Medicare. I was paying over $17,000/yr in premiums and deductibles. That's insane. But, there was no other choice.
I always had fun writing the monthly premium check. The memo line had a little note from me to them each month. And it wasn't a love note.

There has to be a doctor who can fix your knee!
 
So, in spite of hurting my bowling arm the other day, my arm didn’t hurt much when I bowled today like I thought it would. I was careful to use both hands when I picked my ball up and carried it to the line. It did throw my game off though. No one asked for my autograph today. :rotfl:

I hurt the arm when I hauled an 18 pound frozen turkey out from the back of the freezer bin at the grocery store on Saturday. :doh:

I wore pants today for the first time this season on a league day and not one person commented! :wowspring:

The knee was not happy, though. :hairpulling:
 
That is one huge turkey! I'm glad your arm is doing OK. Your knee is going to have to let you wear pants. Winter time is coming!
 
I was worried about my arm, but I guess it’s not too bad if it let me bowl 3 games. I was surprised it did. Of course have plenty of Tylenol in me by now.

My knee is so annoying. I’m getting closer to wanting that next opinion. :bawl:
 
To be honest, I think my implant is loose. I will be very surprised if it’s confirmed in the inevitable revision that it’s NOT loose.
 
Last edited:
@Jockette I just read your most recent posts. I totally understand your frustration. When you do not have a good outcome from surgery or are having problems post-surgery, you just want someone to listen and try to figure out what is wrong. It is unfair that some people in the medical field are so complacent about their specialty, whether it is surgical care or general medical care, that they assume and spit out that assumption rather than listening and searching for answers. I look forward to reading your posts and responses to others @Jockette as I find you to be compassionate and knowledgeable about what we are going through. I am 13 months out from surgery and still have issues. I can say, however, that I have an OS that listens and will get to the bottom of my issues. His suggestion to seek help from a therapist experienced with muscle atrophy has been spot on and my OS has done testing to make sure all is well with my knee. This PT has helped me a great deal and feels he can help me achieve as close to 100% as possible. I have hope.

Thank you for your continued dedication to helping others.
 
I’ve spent enough years immersed in things medical to know medicine is an inexact science. Treatments usually work, until they don’t. What works for almost everyone, doesn’t work for someone. It’s really frustrating and disappointing when you’re that someone. :cry:

I’m glad you’re warming up to getting another opinion. Finding the surgeon who will look into your case with the attention it deserves is key. Maybe it will be this surgeon (I’m hoping!) but if he’s not the guy, look for someone who is the guy/gal. That surgeon is out there. A surgeon with a calling to fix knees will look into what’s going on with yours. :console2:
 
@Jockette, sometimes it takes awhile to get in with a great revision OS.....you might want to make the appointment now (set it up) for the new year? You can always cancel. Get all the paperwork done. That will help you get mentally ready. Maybe, your PCP can order some tests you will need ahead of time: bone scan, blood work, bone density test, etc.?
 
I want to wait (forever, actually) until January, just in case there’s any issues with starting something in 2018 on one insurance plan, then continuing in 2019 on another plan.

I did have an appointment with this surgeon last June, and they scheduled it within a few weeks, which surprised me. Then when I called the other name I had, I got in there a week sooner, so I postponed so I could know all I needed to know from #2 and get any possible tests done before seeing #3.

Things went so badly with #2 that I got fed up with all of them and just put it off.
 
@Jockette, I understand. I had to make myself schedule the appointments. I wanted to take care of my issues in case my husband had issues in the future that might need attending to. He might have a bad R hip. We are going to see our PCP on the 26th and see if she will order a hip x-ray. I think he has psoractic arthritis in that hip.
Btw, does the BoneSmart no exercises (PT) after a hip replacement apply like after a knee replacement? Just ADL?
 
@Cementless hips don’t need a lot of exercises, either, just walking, but not to excess early on.

Check out some threads on the Hip Recovery Forum to get an idea.
 
Well, as cranky as my knee is, I have to say it held up well with the cleaning and vacuuming and preparation I did yesterday, getting ready for hosting Thanksgiving. It wasn’t any worse than usual, so I’m happy about that! My back felt a lot worse than my knee. I did take a lot of breaks between doing things.

When it comes to my knee I’m happy for small blessings.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom