PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

No, SiH. It's an all plastic component. See the jagged edges underneath? They are what locks into the bone cement.
 
@sistersinhim Today is the first I’ve learned I have that piece. I’ll have to read my operative report again and see if I can pick this out.

It looks monstrous, doesn’t it?
 
[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

Thank you, so much, @Josephine!
@Jockette and @Josephine, the picture Jockette attached looks more like the implant I have than what I understand a patella femoral implant looks like. Does she have the correct picture?
 
@NavyGunns, Josephine and I had a discussion this morning about partials/totals that touch both femur and tibia and she said all replacements do.

Here are my X-rays from last March.

[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee
    88D18D1B-9B79-40BF-B7A4-08F975E39096.jpeg
    25.8 KB · Views: 192
@Jockette, so from your X-rays, I believe I’m correct that your implant is not the same though as the picture of one you previously included. That’s what my implant looks like.

[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee
[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee
 
The picture does look like your implant piece in the tibia.

It’s the picture Josephine posted this morning for me when we talked about my implant.

The tibia part on yours shows up on your X-ray. She said my tibia part did not show on an X-ray because it’s plastic.
 
I’m very confused now!
 
@NavyGunns And it was interesting to see your side/bend X-ray, I’ve never seen a lateral/medial in that position, just straight on.

I finally googled and saw a Patellofemoral with leg almost straight, from the side today. I’ve wondered for a long time what that looked like.

Still learning, aren’t we?!
 
@Jockette, I looked at the archived post exchange between you and @Josephine. I hate to say this, but I believe the xray picture and implant picture that Josephine posted are of either a lateral or medial compartment implant, not the patellar-femoral implant you have.

I don’t like saying Josephine made a mistake, but I do believe she posted the wrong examples.

If you look at my xrays, you can clearly see both the tibial and femoral implants. The gap between is where the plastic spacer is located. Prior to my surgery, there was no gap on that side of my knee. I was bone on bone. My leg positions in the before xrays were the same as the after. I wish I had a copy of the before to show you, but I don’t.
 
NG, I often use a random image to explain a point so I may well have not used Jockette's xray. Please tell me which of my posts you are referring to. If it was this one, I was simply displaying an example to demonstrate an all plastic tibial component

[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee


These are what I just got off your posts on this page

Jockette - you can see here that you do have a patellar button. They all have wires on them so they can been seen on xrays.

And I was wrong to say that all knees touch both femur and tibia. I forgot you had a femoro-patellar replacement. Obviously that doesn't touch the tibia! Just the femur and the patella! Sorry

[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee


NavyGunns
[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee
 
@Cementless
My post on your thread was so long and about me I thought I should move it here:

As I said, I’d always wanted to live in the country, but never made it.

However, back in 1984 we bought a piece of property that was a wooded lot. It was actually in the center of the block, surrounded by other streets and houses that their backyards backed up to our property. The house next door was actually half in front of our house that we built on this lot. We cleared a portion of the lot and built a log cabin. It was very picturesque. Our driveway was long and through the woods. In the summer you could hardly see the house from the street.

It was the closest to the country feel I’d always wanted. I lived in the woods smack dab in the middle of town!

We lived there in southern N.J. for 21 wonderful years until my husband lost his job and the only offer he got was with a company in Ohio. Moving far from home was hard. We held onto the log cabin for 2 more years, in case things didn’t work out in Ohio. When we sold it, it was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. My husband had built it himself and it took 22 months. My children were 3, 7 and 9 when we moved in and had grown up there.

The house in Ohio was nice but never quite felt like home. Almost the minute my husband retired we moved back east, but to more affordable Delaware. I do love the house I’m in now. It’s the 10th home I’ve had in 42 years of marriage.
 
@Jockette, it sounds perfect!!! I know how much it hurt to have to give up a piece of land in the city with a house you and your husband built. It reminds me of the first home we built and after 18 months got transferred to Denver. I often fantasize about buying that house and property again. Although this home we live in is a long ranch style and better for us as we age.
 
Well, my bowling is starting to improve again. Not fabulous, but good enough. It was pretty bad the end of the summer. I don’t know what’s different as every ball is a surprise. I mean, every throw, I attempt to do the same thing. That dumb ball just mocks me as it misses the pin by a coat of paint! :doh:
 
Oh, good Jockette! I know you were disappointment in your scores. Maybe you're less concerned about your knee now. What ever it is, it's good news!
 
I also think a few better scores gave me more confidence, and my new team members have accepted me, so I’m less worried about what they think.

The second week of our new season we had a sub for one of the men on my team. This sub remembers the approach to the throw line that I had before surgery, which I have not been able to do since surgery. He commented last year, and again this particular day, why don’t I bowl the way I used to, he said, “what, it’s been 2 years?” (no, it hasn’t) He didn’t say it meanly, but it hit me in my 2 most sensitive areas, and I got kind of teary.

I’m upset with my knee’s outcome and it’s affecting my bowling. It was still so early in the season I wasn’t sure how my teammates would accept me. We’re a senior league league, and there to have fun, but with my poorer than usual bowling over the summer I was super sensitive.

I told him a while later that my knee has problems. I don’t think he totally understands, but after talking about it I don’t think he’ll comment again.

But it’s been 2 months now, and my team members have reminded me we’re there to have fun, and I’ve relaxed and now my scores are better enough that I’m happy with them.

I SO wish I wasn’t so sensitive!! I’ve wished that all my life!
 
It is so disappointing when our surgery doesn't turn out as well as we wanted it to. It can affect so many areas of our lives. It sounds like yours is improving with your bowling so hopefully that's just the beginning of the improvements that you will see!
 
@Jockette you are amazing and so patient answering and reassuring colleagues on here. Nearly every thread if not all I read you have replied to. Offering advice And encouragement.
I sincerely hope you get the recovery you deserve.
Don’t knock yourself for being sensitive that’s just who you are.
 
@Kazmeraz :console2:
Thank you for your many posts encouraging me! Some days I tolerate my knee well and can see how I’ve improved since the day of surgery. Other days I’m just so frustrated with where I am as compared to before surgery.

I really do believe I was very emotionally affected by this surgery, and by the pain my surgeon and PT caused me in the name of checkups and rehab, more so than what we all are.

I have read “The Highly Sensitive Person” by Dr. Elaine Aron, within the last year and I definitely have that personality trait. I also recently googled the highly sensitive person and medical experiencess and I’m convinced these things are a big part of my reluctance to move forward with more opinions and another surgery.

Someone mentioned PTSD to me so I looked that up also. While my recovery isn’t anywhere close to being in a war zone, or a natural disaster, like those in the current wild fires, or the massive flooding from hurricanes, it has affected me, probably more so than some people.

In my reading I realized that when the PT pushed my knee to that very painful place, one week post op, I didn’t consciously realize it then, but “I was violated by someone I trusted when I was very vulnerable. “ Then they did that at every appointment, though not to that same level of pain. My surgeon did it also to measure. They betrayed my trust and I don’t know how to trust another surgeon and PT again.

I don’t know if it’s true or not, but I personally believe that even though we don’t remember our surgery, somewhere in our brain it is remembered and comes out in various ways. Add that to my PT and surgeon’s approach to an HSP (highly sensitive person) and I’m terrified to do this again.

And, add in ALL those comments from anyone and everyone about how I’m not doing recovery “right.” (outside of Bonesmart) no matter how I do it.

It’s total overload for me.

My head knows now that I am in charge of what happens to my knee in recovery. (I didn’t know that early in my current recovery.) I know that next time I have the right to not allow anyone to touch me if I don’t want them to. But that doesn’t mean it will be easy for me to tell them that, especially the surgeon in checkups, and hospital staff.

It’s easier to stay the way I am now than to face all that again.

At this point I can’t help myself, but if I can hold the hands of members and tell them I care and understand, then that’s something good that has come out of my experience.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom