Guest viewing is limited

PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

I am a weather spotter for the NWS down here. Each little area has their own little 'storms'. The major forecasters use an average of a big area. I think it depends on which computer is looking at which area determines how the different ones come up with their different maybes! The last big snow storm we had in January, the little area I'm in, only about 5 miles wide, was caught in the heavy bands of the snow and got 12"+, while other areas around us got only 5-6".

During that heavy band of snow here, it got down to -13 actual temperature. I had to go out and clear some areas in those frigid temps. My body did OK except for my new knee. It was agony for about an hour and hurting for a couple of hours after that. It was almost like the cold had gotten through all my clothes, through my skin, and into the implant. I have no idea if this can happen, but it sure did hurt! So, this girl's going to try to not go outside and work when it is below zero anymore!

It would have been nice if your doctor could have been more specific about his surgeries. You really don't know anymore than you did before you asked!

Do you have your surgery report? I remember you saying that you were going to ask for one.
 
Last edited:
I do have my surgery report and just finished reading it. I sort of understood it considering all the big words I don’t know the meaning of. But I feel I got the gist of it.

There was definite mention of a saw and drill. :yikes: (But I knew that already)

When testing my ROM it said “the patella was tracking slightly to the lateral side, so he performed a lateral retinacular release. After that the patella tracked nicely allowing full extension and flexion with patella remaining in the appropriate groove.”

How fun to be a weather spotter! I have an acquaintance who loves meteorology and for several years after he retired he really got into it and was sending out emails to a bunch of us “followers” teaching us weather and how he did his predictions. It was very interesting and he also had a flair for writing.
 
How fun to be a weather spotter! I have an acquaintance who loves meteorology and for several years after he retired he really got into it and was sending out emails to a bunch of us “followers” teaching us weather and how he did his predictions.
My daddy was raised on a farm, so naturally he was always interested in the weather. He passed on that interest to me. The husband of a friend of mine worked at the NWS in two towns down. He told me of a program that they had for lay people to become weather spotters to help with forecasting storms. I report the high temp, low temp, average temp, rain and snow amount daily. Last summer I received a 10 year certificate and pin from them!

So, you had a lateral release. Is the lateral side where that spot was? If so, that would explain the pain there. I think I said that I had pain on the medial side even over a year out. I received my report about 14 months out and learned that's where I had, had a medial release. The mystery was solved and the worry about that spot was over!

I had been having a lot of pain lately on the lateral side. After riding my bikes a few miles the past few days, the pain stopped! So, you and I both are having less pain! Yay!
 
Yes, my Spot is on the lateral side.

It’s been fairly quiet since I took the capris off yesterday. It’s really been so much better since that prayer last week and circular movement I did on the kneecap. Even though I’m very aware of something in the knee it seems a more normal feel. It was when it was so off to the side that it was so annoying. Probably because it was out of place!

Congratulations on your 10 year certificate and pin!!
 
Yes, my Spot is on the lateral side.
I bet you have found the reason for your 'spot'! Alright, that's fantastic! Prayer works! God has proven this over and over to me all my life!

Thank you for the congrats!
 
I lost interest in snow 3 years ago when I moved from Cleveland to the state of Delaware!
 
Jockette, when you cautiously massaged your knee with the cortisone, that sounds like some movements my PT did with my knee when it wasn't cooperating. Just gentle movement, side to side, and around, with a couple of fingers. I know what you mean about not liking to feel the kneecap--ewwww!, but it helped me, and maybe it helped move you forward, even a little bit. (She did it on me first when my kneecap seemed "stuck," which was when there was lots of swelling. Then when that finally went down and the knee wasn't tracking, she spent quite a bit of time gently moving the kneecap and massaging the spots where tendons, muscles and ligaments all connect on each side of the knee. I have to say that we knew she was in the right spot for the tendon connectors because she'd barely touch it, and she'd practically have to peel me off the ceiling! She'd go back to moving the kneecap and then try massaging the ouchy connector spot again on whichever side was bothering me that day.)
 
We also have more snow forecast later this week. This winter has been one for the record books!

I looked at a list of goals for TKRs at a clinic in Cleveland. Aside from making me very glad I didn't have to meet their ridiculous goals, it did mention "patellar mobility." That's not something I had ever heard mentioned, so I cautiously pushed on my kneecap and was relieved to see it moves easily from side to side. Whew!
 
We had snow Sunday night and Monday morning. And by Thursday we are expecting high 70's. I am told that kind of fluctuation is typical for Denver, especially in the Spring.
 
Oh, and my implant is from Smith and Nephew.
 
Aside from making me very glad I didn't have to meet their ridiculous goals, it did mention "patellar mobility." That's not something I had ever heard mentioned, so I cautiously pushed on my kneecap and was relieved to see it moves easily from side to side.
This emphasis on patellar mobility seems to me to be a particularly American thing.

I've had three knee replacements and no one has ever mentioned or tested my patellar mobility. As recovery progresses, the patella gradually becomes more mobile, without intervention.
My kneecaps both move freely now. I don't know if they were ever less mobile, because no one was concerned, or even tested mobility.
 
In my first couple of weeks of out patient PT, starting 2 days after surgery, the PT manipulated my kneecap at each visit for about 5 minutes. I didn’t know any better and thankful it was not painful.
 
I know that there in insufficient evidence that we need to take an antibiotic before dental work, but many dentists still require it. I specifically waited past my one year anniversary to make this dental appointment in case that made a difference.

I have an appointment next month as I have a chipped tooth that needs a repair.

Should I tell them now in case they are going to require it? I don’t want to pay for a first appointment only to learn that I need to take the antibiotic and then reschedule.

And the way my body has reacted to things lately I’m not looking forward to finding out what my body will do with this antibiotic and/or how it might react if I don’t. :gaah:
 
I had a dental cleaning 6weeks postoperative and crown the same week.i took antibiotic because my OS required it, not my dentist.
 
Call your surgeon and dentist and ask. They will prescribe any antibiotics should you need them.

My OS wanted me to take antibiotics before dental work for a year post-surgery. I’ve had dental implants placed and took antibiotics before each procedure. Both my OS and my dentist recommended doing so.

There are different opinions about antibiotics and dental work post knee replacement surgery, including that antibiotics aren’t necessary. I just followed my OS’s and dentist’s instructions.
 
I realize how different their opinions are. I guess I’m most interested in the dentist’s opinion since she might refuse to do the work if I don’t do what she says. And that will be the only reason I will take the antibiotic.
 
My revision OS says to take them for life and will prescribe at any time. While the risk is low, the OS is the one who'll have to clean up/repair any problems: not the dentist.

For me, it's small price to pay.
 
When testing my ROM it said “the patella was tracking slightly to the lateral side, so he performed a lateral retinacular release. After that the patella tracked nicely allowing full extension and flexion with patella remaining in the appropriate groove.”

Was this read out of your surgical report? I need to request mine sometime (especially if I end up seeing another surgeon in the next few months).
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom