PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

Jockette, I'm really hoping you're gonna get a whole lot better before your appointment in March. Hang in there!
 
I’m hanging!

I don’t want more surgery (as I know none of us do!) so I’ll wait and see how things go. :bored:

Thanks for checking in @sistersinhim !
 
In spite of some of my recent issues I had a very good, for me, bowling day! 129, 130, and 110. And in the first game I actually had 2 gutter balls in one frame, I’m sorry to say. That hasn’t happened since the first time I started back! So my 129 could have/should have been a bit higher! I have definitely had way too many gutter balls since surgery, I figure I have a year to blame it on the surgery :rotfl:

Anyway, I am enjoy my bowling! :bicycle1:
( there isn’t a bowling thingy)
 
And, we finally got a whole house humidifier today and it is up and running. My dry eye condition has been so bad for several weeks and I can’t help but wonder if the extremely low humidity in our house has also had a negative effect on my knee. I hope it helps!
:prayer:
 
Hi

I am so glad you enjoyed your bowling. I am totally rubbish and don't know much about it, but if I have guessed correctly what gutter balls are, I think those balls are the normal type of bowling balls I am used to!

I hope the humidifier helps.

How is your knee feeling after your bowling?
 
Last edited:
@Suzette I don’t bend my knee when I bowl, so it does okay. I had to change the way I bowl to accommodate it, but it’s working.
 
When I have been bowling I bend my right knee then flick my left bent leg behind me as I let go of the ball...now I think about it I must look a little daft!

I don't think I will be bowling again ......
 
Many of my friends do that foot behind them as they bowl, I call it choreography. I never did, even before surgery. I’m not that coordinated!
 
@Jockette. Interesting you have the dry eye issue. I just had my eyes checked as my puppy destroyed one pair of reading glasses and I destroyed the other on a concrete wall when I fell. I’ve never had that issue before (dry eye) but the optometrist said I had a red growth caused by dry eye. She has given me drops to use daily. I wonder if I should get a humidifier too. Does it help?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have been using drops for dry eye for about 2 years and they were doing a good job until this month.

My husband is very cold all the time and the last few winters we have upped our thermostat each year and we are now running it a whopping 74 degrees (as I sit here in very lightweight summer jammies and he has numerous shirts, fleece jacket and a quilt doubled over on him!)

This is our third winter in Delaware and the first one that’s been this cold. So this month our heater is running a lot. The result is an extremely low humidity in the house and my eyes have gone crazy! Watering way more than usual and actually feeling swollen and miserable.

The humidifier has been running since about 4:30 and according to the thermometer the humidity is very slowly raising. I’m sure it’s going to help.

In our last 2 houses we had one right on the heater, but we are in a double wide mobile home now with a smaller heater where here is no room to attach a humidifier.

Probably more info than you wanted, I tend to get long winded! :rofsign:
 
Dry eye is no fun. Mr. Shoes has dry eye and uses drops, which so far has worked. But yes, this winter has been a beast for dry air, inside and out. Cold air is lots drier than warmer air to begin with, so winter is just nasty that way.

I practiced with my bowling ball the other day. Just the approach because I was in the house. No release. I can bend my knee (not as deep as before, but still a bit of bend) but found my crouch a little “off.” I wobbled a bit, too. Hmm... might need to practice at a lane for a bit!
 
I can do my previous approach just fine at home and with no bowling ball. Doing it with the ball is a different story!

I’m happy with my current throw. My speed was a little more yesterday. Before surgery I threw the ball between 10 and 11 miles an hour. (That’s how I got my nickname Jockette.) Most of the other women’s speeds were 4-7 miles an hour. Since surgery I’ve been throwing between 6-7. Yesterday I was over 7.
 
@Jockette. I was trying to remember what happened when I had all the issues with pain and what the surgeon did to determine what was necessary next. I recall he did an X-ray, a bone scan (which lit up like a Xmas tree) and bloods and an MRI. From those results and the fact that I still couldn’t return to work due to the pain the surgeon concluded there was no other option but to try an arthroscopy. He did this and still no better, he decided the revision was the only thing left to do. So I guess be adamant that you’re worried about the pain so far out and hopefully he will at least investigate.
 
I will see how things go. I’m not in a lot of pain, but a lot of discomfort at times. As long as I’m sitting on the couch with my feet up on an ottoman my knee feels fine. But if I’m up and moving about I can constantly feel it. It doesn’t let me forget it. Sitting in certain chairs, even with my feet up on a different ottoman, is still uncomfortable.

I am not in any hurry to repeat this surgery so I’m willing to see how things go over the next months. New X-rays will be taken in March. If all is well there I will continue to persevere and hope I heal more. The only way I would consent to another surgery is if the X-ray, or some other required diagnostic test shows something wrong that needs to be corrected. Maybe if the X-ray is fine he will order an MRI or CT or whatever that can show something else. But I won’t push for that yet if he doesn’t suggest it.

I am disappointed that things didn’t go better for me. But I still continue to hope for improvement.
 
Even though there’s a lot of rain here today I lucked out and was able to take advantage of the 61 degrees allowing me to take a walk in shorts! It was sunny with awesome clouds. :walking:

It is now dark and raining again. Glad I went out when I did!
 
Good idea. I didn’t insist on anything being done in the beginning either. I was just honest and told him it was really painful. We started with an X-ray and that didn’t show anything. Then moved on to next test. I guess he just wanted to be sure the other compartments weren’t the same which in the end that was the problem, a lateral meniscus tear. I hope your pain subsides and you don’t have to have further surgery.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@MummaMeg Thank you for this thought:

@Needhope, I have had a lot of issues with nerve pain as well. I found that taking Magnesium tablets has helped massively - it is the only thing I have found that helps. It also has a calming effect, which is helpful for anxiety and sleeping.

Meg x

For US members, what is a quality brand to buy? I live near a Vitamin Shop chain, do you think they have quality supplements?

I also have a small health food/supplement store near by but their prices are ridiculously high.
 
Type of magnesium is probably more important than brand. Magnesium Citrate is more absorptive than the cheaper Magnesium Oxide, which means that the body takes in more of the Magnesium Citrate, and you don’t have to take as much for a good effect. Magnesium Oxide can have a stronger laxative effect, probably because less of it is utilized by the body.

I buy mine at the grocery store and choose whatever brand is on sale at the time.
 
Thank you, @Polkadot ! I did see that there were several types and that was going to be my next question.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom