TKR Acceptance and Understanding<

Anybody out there have fear and anxiety about walking on snow and ice? I don’t know how to get over this!
 
I think we all have that fear!

I live in Delaware, so it’s not much of an issue here as we don’t get much ice and snow.

My surgery was last March, and even as late as summer I had a fear falling. I thinks it’s a natural caution after what we’ve been through. It took me a while for my balance to be restored. And all that was without ice and snow.

Maybe use your walker when you’re outside in ice and snow? That might help you feel more stable.
 
I bought some traction cleats for my shoes in case of ice and snow down here in Virginia. No snow yet this year, so I don't know how they work. You might want to try a pair of those.
 
Went back to work Jan 2. Having a rough time. Both legs feel like dead weight though I’m doing strengthening exercises daily. Very slow going first thing out of bed. Not fun, unstable, weakness, feel like I’m 100 yrs old. I traded arthritis pain for this? I don’t know what’s worse. I’m starting to think this nightmare will never end. I’m too young to feel this debilitated. Never will I do this again, ever.
 
I totally understand about trading arthritic pain for recovery pain! I don’t like it either and hope I also never have to do another knee replacement.

I feel I did my partial too early. Looking back I had less discomfort and especially limitations before surgery than I do 10 months after.

Granted I do feel better now than I did at 3-4 months post op. But still.

Maybe it’s too early for you to be trying to do extra things to strengthen your quads. They will get stronger with on their own in time without the added pain/discomfort of target exercises.

All we can do is hang in there. I trust that in the months to come we will feel better.
 
I’m seriously starting to wonder if I have MS or some other Neurological issue because my left leg has the same dead weight feeling. I’m struggling. We had a snow storm a couple weeks ago, my car got plowed in at work. When I went to leave, everyone left except for one girl who helped shovel me out. I’m hardly able to walk stable as it is and to see my car stuck like that, almost sent me into a panic. Thank god for her! I would never have left a person who’s obviously having a tough time getting around to fend for themselves in that situation. My Dr told me when I returned to work, I’d be in agony for a few weeks. Basically, suck it up. I’m trying like hell to do that. Nobody can understand how much physically, I am sucking it up. Wish I could curl up into a ball. This is soooo hard! This HAS to get better!
 
Oh my you must have been in so much pain after shoveling your car out!

This major surgery affects our whole body, not just the knee. It takes a year or more to recover, so you are still in early days. I hope that while you are home after work and on weekends you can rest and recoup from the work week.
 
Jockette is right. Your knee is still a baby and less than 1/3 of the way of a year long healing. You don't need to be exercising. Working is enough exercise! And it's not just the work itself, it's the getting up and getting ready and then driving to work. All that is physically draining. And the energy drain is real. It takes months to get over that. Your body is concentrating a lot of its energy on healing that knee of yours. As you heal, your strength will naturally come back. Be patient!
 
Now I’ve got nerve pain. It started yesterday. When I stood up, extended my leg to walk, sharp pains shot from back of knee through kneecap and up through thigh. Got worse while trying to walk. Unbearable. I called surgeon and waiting for a return call. I’m guessing it’s nerve pain. It takes my breath away it’s so sharp. I’m resting it now therefore it’s not hurting. Is this normal 4 months postop?
 
@Needhope, I have had a lot of issues with nerve pain as well. I found that taking Magnesium tablets has helped massively - it is the only thing I have found that helps. It also has a calming effect, which is helpful for anxiety and sleeping.

Meg x
 
@Pumpkln ... I will definitely inquire about the taping. I’m just trying to buy some time before I jump into another TKR since my right one is only 4 months young. Thank you!
 
@MummaMeg ... I read that on occasion on the internet but was skeptical. I will definitely give that a try. I guess the nerve pain is a sign that healing continues, but, boy oh boy does it stop me in my tracks! Since my left knee has become unstable, I really need my new right TKR knee to be in tip top shape with minimal complaints. Thank you for the info!
 
What is a quality brand of magnesium to buy?
 
@Pumpkln ... No I haven’t, I didn’t know about it. He suggested physical therapy. I’m distressed because my left knee has gotten very unstable and keeps subluxing. I’m walking slowly as to not bend too much. I can’t fathom the thought of physical therapy for new knee while I’ve got this major issue with left now. I’m working 40/hr day in a factory and I’ve been told I need tkr on this one now. It’s a struggle to keep it from subluxing. I’m at my wits end and honestly get sick thinking of another surgery so soon after my rtkr. I’m sooo stressed I can’t eat, sleep. The knee even subluxes when I roll over in bed. This is a cruel joke and I honestly don’t know what to do at this point. I got an expensive brace from dr office but I can’t use it because it’s putting pressure on my kneecap and sending it out of alignment. The only good thing about this all is I’ve lost weight from stress and anxiety which puts less pressure on my joints. Just when I was making strides with my rtkr, feeling stronger, more confident, the left knee craps out. Life is a joy.
 
I’m so sorry you’re going through so much.
:console2:
 
Needhope,
Sounds like you need to take a breather from all of this, with that subluxing knee cap you can't get a break.
Suggest you start with:
- Seeing a PT about taping your knee cap
- Asking about Neurontin

:console2:
 
Sorry you are having to deal with all this. The magnesium product I like is called "Calm." It is a powder you add to water or juice - 2 flavors. As others have noted, the magnesium may help with the sharp pain, it is "calming" and a wonderful way to stay "regular" too!
 
Back
Top Bottom